where do you buy your stuff?

Thread: where do you buy your stuff?

Registered User Array Miteorite's Avatar
    Bike
    g|xx3r

Question where do you buy your stuff?

where do you guys shop & do your maintanance?
    i bought all of my gear @ burnaby kawasaki because Moe @ Action said they were good and they had a big sale

But I do most of my maintanance stuff (to date that included a new wheel + installation, breakpads (installed myself) , and an oil check) @ Carter Honda, simply because I work a walk away.

However I was told I'll need to replace my head bearing () because it's notched (?). Where should I go?
    What's your experience?

Thanks
    -d

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    5th Gear out in White Rock is a good place to get service done....

Bike
    g|xx3r
    Originally posted by Canadian_Gixxer
    5th Gear out in White Rock is a good place to get service done....
    why do you say that?
    are they cheaper?

Bike
    I've had work done with them before, they do good work. Plus labour is pretty cheap with em.

Just Another Enthusiast Array vrecksler's Avatar
    Bike
    Naked SV
    I usually try and do things myself, then go to the shops as a last resort.

I remember when I tried to change the clutch plates in a friend's FZR600, I had the bike in pieces and was too stubborn to admit I had no clue how to proceed. I had to buy the service manual and a week of plodding allowed me to figure it out.

But you learn so much more messing around with bikes, to me it is worth the time and inconvenience, plus I am cheap and think shop rates are too high.

B-r-a-d-l-e-y...Why? Because I'm Bradley!

Email

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I'm not telling, but Atom isn't allowed near it.
    I'll back Canadian_Gixxer up.. I used to work a few doors down from Bill at 5th Gear.

Anything I can't do myself I take to Bill.. he's awesome to talk to and very helpful if you're in that neck of the woods..

Jim.

Bike
    Latest and greatest Suzuki GSX-R 600
    I highly recommend M.A.S. Cycle Service.
    They used to be in White Rock (beside 5th Gear) and they will be opening again somewhere in Surrey. As soon as I find out I'll be posting all the info.

Bike
    g|xx3r
    Originally posted by vrecksler
    I usually try and do things myself, then go to the shops as a last resort.

I remember when I tried to change the clutch plates in a friend's FZR600, I had the bike in pieces and was too stubborn to admit I had no clue how to proceed. I had to buy the service manual and a week of plodding allowed me to figure it out.

But you learn so much more messing around with bikes, to me it is worth the time and inconvenience, plus I am cheap and think shop rates are too high.
    i agree with you here, but the problem is once you start messing with critical components (like engine) there's no saying where you'd go. I mean I replaced my brakepads (there's a critical component) but i do it for my car so i got experience so i wasn't too worried. on the other hand how'd i do the carb syncing?

i'll give 5th gear a try.
    Thanks guys.

-d

Bike
    2003 GSX-R 1000
    Yup 5th gear is the shop of choice. They have great survice and they are 2 minutes away from where I work. I am doing a 520 conversion with aluminum anodized sprockets and he said it would cost around 250 for all the parts and I said what about labour and he said dont worry about it, I will just throw it on for ya. I was impressed. Mind you I am good friends with him so that always helps.
    "Life is like a book. If you have not travelled, then you have only read one page."

MSN - [email protected]

Bike
    2014 FZ-09
    I take my bike to work, I work for my dad In the back of the warehouse he has a hydrolic motorcycle lift which makes working on the bikes easy. I'm not much of a mechanic myself but my dad being a harley owner for the last 25 years is very handy. He tears his bike down to the frame every other year but I think thats a requirement if you drive a harley, isn't it?

He's built a few Harleys from scratch and it generaly pretty knowledgeable with anything mechanical. The only thing he won't touch is transmission and engine internals.

Bike
    2001 ZX6R
    Everything from day one at Burnaby Kawasaki.....they are the best.
    2001 ZX6R
    WMRC #127 Expert

Bike
    sumfing nekkid
    As far as gear goes. I'll go where its cheap and where the sales are. Merchadise wise, they carry most of the same products. So price is my primary concern there.

As far as service, I'll go to Imperial and CR Cycle. Imperial is quite a personal shop. Clean, and simple with no hassles and very knowledgable. CR Cycle, John the mech. is a really good guy that knows how to treat a customer. After the downfall of Daytona, John was the only one (Suzuki Dealer) that would even look at my bike. RMS wanted me to drop it off for 3 to 4 weeks and they would get to it whenever thay had time...ya right. John, on the other hand helped me out by scheduling a little time to do a diagnostic on my bike. The problems weren't major, so we scheduled a later date and I rode off. Its the little things like that, that count as well IMO.