BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

My first leathers - do I need to go crazy?

82K views 108 replies 58 participants last post by  schmii 
#1 ·
I'm looking for my first leathers. I have the money so that's no prob but I have a dilemma. I have been looking at the JR GPX 2 piece which is reasonable at 849 retail before any discounts and the Alpinstars 2 piece for 1449.

The JR has soft armour and the Alpinstars has hard motogp armour.

What I'm asking is do I really need to spend that much more for what essentially is hard armour? Personally I'm partial to hard armour but I'm look for some opinions here.

In the event of a get off will the JR suit be up to it?

Thanks

#52 · (Edited)
How many people go riding around the city in a full suit? How many people actually use the suit for just zipping around? Or do you use it to go up the mountain n stuff?

BBy Kawi is having a sale now and some no-name brand suit is $399. They say it's just because there are no sponsors that it's cheap and basically it's just as good as anything else. How many people really believe the more expensive one is really better? I guess really it would be not the brand but to look at the stitching and the thickness and quality ... yah?

Now I just have a textile jacket, was going to get some pants. Should I get the cheap leathers and that will actually be better than textile? Or just get some good pants and keep the textile jacket.

#53 ·
i have been 2upping lately with jsut basic jeans and cheap leather jacket.... definitely want to invest some cash in proper protection, even tho i don't own a bike, or even ride on my own yet... but like most of you, the cost factor is huge.... hope you keep posting up advice, i am taking notes :)

thanks for your input...
also, how do you know it's gonna fit right if you buy through Ebay or online site??

#55 ·
best advice i can give is...spend as much as you can possibly afford without leaving yourself stranded. sure $50 gloves are cool and will protect you more than nothing, but if you can afford it - $200 alpinestars gp plus gloves or $250 gp pro...awesome awesome awesome. also $200 teknic violator gloves, or $250 teknic speedstar gloves.

i'm looking at a teknic 2-piece suit for $1000, teknic violator gloves for $200, sidi vertigo boots at $480, and a shoei xr1000 at $800. sure it's a fairly big outlay, but i know for sure that it's all good gear - i tried it on sitting on a bike (the one i'm going to buy) and it all felt beautiful.

ALSO...BOOTS!!! FORK OUT FOR BOOTS!!! DON'T BUY $100 CRAPPY ONES!!! i've found only the really good ones have ample enough ankle movement...otherwise they're all chunky as hell and uncomfortable to boot (no pun intended). sidi vertigos - awesome. alpinestars s-mx r...also very good. cheers!

Justo

#56 ·
leathers

I only know two guys that have bailed, both wearing Joe Rocket. Both suits blew apart in the crash. They survived with maybe one small piece of road rash each. Think of the suits as disposable. There is a guy here in Victoria that will custom build you a suit to your specs. I think he said about $1500-2000. He's from Russia and knows his shit. He has done some custom work for me and he's top notch. I suspect you'll look like a 1960's TT reject when he's done though.

That being said anything leather will be better than shorts, flip flops and a wife beater.

B. :horse

#60 ·
I didn't feel like making my own thread, soooo....

I've been pricing out gear(roughly) and, for good leathers I keep coming up with a price around $1000. This'll be my first gear, should I be spending this much? If it's worth anything, I'm looking at an Icon helmet, Alpinestars jacket, tour master pants(not sure how good they'd be for street?) and Shift racing boots.

Yea, Nay? Anybodies opinion?

#61 ·
$1000 seems a bit much for your first leathers. Especially if you are looking right now in the off season. Are you talking about the whole package deal (including helmet and boots) for the $1000? If so, then that seems like a fair price for everything.

I know a lot of people are against it...but try on different leathers in store for sizing then check on ebay. http://parts.listings.ebay.ca/Motor...QQfromZR11QQsacatZ6750QQsocmdZListingItemList

I bought a 1 piece Joe Rocket leather suit brand new on ebay for just under $300 shipped. Retail in store was close to $1000. ( <----as pictured in my avatar) I know I like to support the local stores...but thats just too much of a price difference to pass up.

#62 ·
Yeah it's whole thing. I'm with you too, I'd really like to support local shops, but NewEnough.com has an HJC helmet for $70, not to mention the Shift boots for $100 :rolleyes I haven't seen those boots anywhere else, but $100 seems like a great price for them.

#68 ·
there is not too much of your skin to spare right or body parts to replace? just remember that... of course money decides too but i mean at least don't cheap out... and if you really thing you'll be riding for few years... spending the extra bit right now is better than buying another one next season...

#66 ·
Rivercity Cycle is having a huge one day sale on the 16th of Feb. Clean out the shop, selling gear and stuff that is in stock really cheap. Boots and most everything else that you have on your list.

#71 ·
I went and checked them out a few weeks ago. For the money, it's not quite up to par. Leathers weren't that thick and the jackets weighed in light.

It sounds like a good deal when you compare to new retail at the local stores selling at MSRP, but when you consider that they're basically 'replicas' and no-name gear, plus the fact that you can get brand name gear for less money on eBay, there is no comparison.

I bought my Shift M1 jacket from eBay for $150 USD shipped. $200 after duties and tax. It is new, but old stock.

It's an older model but retailed for $475 locally before.

I like to support local stores as well, but Kneedraggers and Motorcycle Superstore and eBay have too big of a price advantage.

#72 ·
u should buy somthing that fits you and is comfy...thats how i see it..a desing is great and all but would u rather look like a poser or feel like a poser?

#74 ·
No problem.

Also, I bought my helmet online, an Arai Quantum II brand new for $350 USD shipped. The seller even declared it as a $45 dollar gift so that I didn't have to pay tax + duties.

Compare this to $899 local tag price + 12% tax. Yikes.

The best I've seen locally for the Quantum II was $600 + tax including a visor at the Bike Show.

#75 ·
Hey, does anyone know where I can pick up this two piece suit? Or what it's called? I'm looking for it in Blue and White - I think it's last years model - Joe Rocket.

I saw it today @ Pacific Yamaha & BMW on sale for $499 but it was a size 40... The jacket fit PERFECTLY but the pants were a bit big. I need to try on a pair of 38's in pants.

I've been searching online and can't find it - any pointers would be appreciated.

Also would anyone recommend wearing a suit like this in the rain - or is that just plain old stupid?

#80 ·
They don't look as nice IMO. Besides if I ended up scrowning enough money to buy another bike - 1. i would have the $ to buy another suit and 2. the color I choose could be different.
You do have a good point though, but I'm digging the Yamaha branded ones much more. I guess I'll have to keep hunting!

#81 ·
IMO, a nice alpinestars suit > Joe Rocket any day.

If you're set on the Yamaha branded ones, then you've got limited choices. Also, you usually can't get a 2 piece with non matching tops and bottoms, so if the pants are too big and you go a size down, then the jacket will be too small.

#83 ·
I'm going to get my first bike and also have some questions...

I get the feeling that leather is always better than textile. But if you have those hard plastic armour on your shoulder, elbow, knee, back protector, etc, then even if you slide on the ground, you would be sliding on those hard armour, right? In that case what is the advantage of leather?

I'm planning to do street riding only (to/from work, occasionally farther) and the fastest will probably be 120k in city highways. Would immediately getting all leathers be a bit overkill? (maybe just leather jacket + protective overpants?)

#91 · (Edited)
I'm still looking around for gear. I wanted something white to be more visible on the road at all times. I also don't like the ones with big lettering across the back or chest. At first I found the Dainese SF pelle black/white, but it is both expensive and very difficult to find. Later on I found Shift Primer leather: http://www.newenough.com/protective...s/shift/primer_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html which seems to look pretty good and has hard elbow and shoulder protector. Another option would be Alpinestar black label ice leather: http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/...ars/black_label_ice_leather_sport_jacket.html

I've read in this thread that Alpinestar is usually better than JR. What about Shift? Is it a reliable, safe brand to go with?

#92 ·
check Craigs List

before you buy - some awesome deals on stuff that people buy but don't use because the first three rides scare the crap out of them and they quite rigth away, and then have to 'dump' all their stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.