My first leathers - do I need to go crazy?
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My first leathers - do I need to go crazy?

Bike
    Big and slow

My first leathers - do I need to go crazy?

I'm looking for my first leathers. I have the money so that's no prob but I have a dilemma. I have been looking at the JR GPX 2 piece which is reasonable at 849 retail before any discounts and the Alpinstars 2 piece for 1449.

The JR has soft armour and the Alpinstars has hard motogp armour.

What I'm asking is do I really need to spend that much more for what essentially is hard armour? Personally I'm partial to hard armour but I'm look for some opinions here.

In the event of a get off will the JR suit be up to it?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

John GTS
    well, you gotta know, it doesn't matter how long you've been riding or how many set of leathers you've owned, if you fall you fall, and when do you do, you will wish you have the best leather and protection out there. i would go all out on safety stuff since you got the cash, btw, i picked up my alpine star suit for 999

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    you get what you pay for, go all out.
    cheap leathers will bust apart in 1 crash, and wont protect you as well
    good leathers will last a few crashes, and have good armour. if you are even buying leathers, think about why you are doing it. might as well have something worth wearing
    no

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

I bought cheap leathers, but I'll get a good hard shelled armor kit for inside.

I would recommend buying the best you can afford.

Bike
    its blue
    You can buy "good" once or you can buy multiple sets of "ok". Up to you...

Its not just the hard armor which sets the astars apart. The quality of the leather, stitiching, durability of the leather...
    I'd rather see about getting the astars on sale or something like that. Isn't RMS having some kind of big sale on clothing?

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    johan got it.
    stitching will come apart in 1 crash on a lower suit, and leather will possibly wear thru faster (thinner leather, different kind, different process for making) also higher priced suits usually fit better, have better finish. spyke is kinda a mid range suit, its not cheap, and it lasts pretty good, but it doesnt have the same quality finish of other higher brands.
    no

Bike
    Big and slow
    Thank you all for your help. John GTS where did you get your suit for 999?

Bike
    04 ZX6R/91 BMW K75S
    The Alpinestars are good, but at $1400, you are approaching Vanson territory. If you're going to look in that price range, I highly recommend Vanson. Crash tested by many of the best. Really good armour kit too.

Bike
    Big and slow
    Yah my bro has Vanson leathers. Full perf set and he crash tested at 180 kph at Seattle. Definitely good stuff.

Brethon
    I can never find info on Vanson Leathers -- at least not suits. Any websites with info on them? I even went to the Vanson website and it only showed jackets and pants.

Also a quick fitting question -- how long should the sleeves be? I think mine may be a little short, as they only tuck about 2cm under the gauntlet of my gloves (but the gauntlet and arm-armour meet up perfectly for max protection).

Flowrider -- bering new I figured that I may as well have the best gear from the start; heck if I go down chances are it'll be a worse situation than if I was experienced. I picked up a Spyke 2pc for the same price as a JR since it was on sale. If you're not in a hurry to buy, try shopping around for sales.

Bike
    A ---> B
    check on the Spyke suits at RMS - I know they've been clearing them out for awhile now

I picked up my Spyke 2 piece Sintesi suit (complete with hard armour) for $475 last year during the end of season sale

if they have something that fits you, it's well worth looking into
    Bike's sold - still have some gear left!

Bike
    Big and slow
    Thanks guys. That's what my brother has been telling me as well. Sales should start fairly soon, then blowouts then whatever is left goes to the motorcycle show to get rid of. I'm guessing the shops want as little inventory as possible over the winter. I may just wait it out or by some leather pants to get by on cuz for some reason I just don't feel that safe riding with jeans.

Breton, the only dealer that I know of that carries a lot of Vanson stuff is Burnaby Kawi.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Good leathers are the way to go but don't forget that with some of them you pay extra for the name. But separating the "name" stuff from the good stuff is not that easy.

Having said that you can go by the thickness of the leather (Vanson wins this test hands down easily) and the weight (heavier means higher density leather which is good). After that be sure to get a model with hard armour at least at the kness and elbows and good memory foam armour at the other key spots.

I've got nothing against Alpinstar but it sure seems like $'s for the name to some extent. The better Joe Rocket models seem like more value and less name but you gotta get the better ones. And as for Vanson, well, it just don't get no better.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    i might take helimot over vanson, but vansons better than most for sure
    no

Bike
    Big and slow
    Tee tee what JR suit do you think is 'good enough'? The GPX is what I'm looking at. I can always switch the upper armour with the hard armour that's in my textile JR Harddrive jacket. Then I suppose I would only have to get hard knees