VFR VTEC Must Read Throttle Problems - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: VFR VTEC Must Read Throttle Problems

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    First-rate points man, I’m off to buy a few tools.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

steve tech
    Just a note to say mine is still running fine and I'm happy after the throttle sync. etc.
    I am not going to change anything.

Registered User Array counter_strike's Avatar
    Bike
    R6 and VFR
    any recommendation for which shop to bring my 04 VFR for tune-up? Carter, 5h Gear?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Still defying gravity... Array Thumper 8's Avatar
    Bike
    3 and 6 cylinders of fury
    Hey Chuck, I used Imperial for my valve adjustment - did a good job, although no adjustment was needed. They have done a number of VTEC's. Ended up being more of an inspection - plus I put on a new chain and sprockets while I was there.

aka Tony

My WMRC/Pitt Meadows and other bike photos are at Thumphoto.com - follow on Twitter and connect on Facebook

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by counter_strike View Post
    any recommendation for which shop to bring my 04 VFR for tune-up? Carter, 5h Gear?
    Good question, I do all my own valves etc. The VTEC is unique in the motorcycle world, thus you must have the special Honda pin set to do the VTEC side, something I expect at least some of the shops that claim to do VTEC’s do not use, and thus could not inspect nor re-shim as needed.

I’ve heard some shops simply claim to do the work, especially the VTEC side, but in fact simply give them a cursory glance knowing that they most often stay in spec for a goodly time period beyond the Honda recommended valve inspection intervals.

My suggestion of course is get the shop manual and DIY. This website is where you wanna be http://www.vfrdiscussion.com

If you mean by “tune-up” sparkplugs, oil, oil filter, air filter, SV sync, brake fluid flush, etc a reasonably sharp 15 year old could do it. Valves OTOH are a bit more involved. YYMV and not everyone is into tech / wrenching. I will say I’ve only heard good things about 5th Gear.
    Last edited by Chumly; 05-15-2007 at 08:11 PM.

From N00bie to Wannabe Array FASTn50's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 VFR 800A (Red!) 2006 CFR 450X (Red!) 2012 Ninja 250R (Red!) 2012 BMW F800GS (Blue/White)
    Quote Originally Posted by counter_strike View Post
    Hi Chuck,
    I realize this thread's a little stale and mouldy but I just came across it this morning.

For the most part, John (J1k) at Carter Honda Coquitlam has done the servicing on my 05 VFR and handled all the valve adjustments on both my VFR and CRF 450X. (Carter Coquitlam has done all my service work.) The first valve service on the Vfer required a fair amount of adjustment but not so much on the second. I'm coming up to the 40,000km service so it will be interesting to see if they need much adjustment or not. I often am hard on the throttle above 7000 rpm and probably in that range more than most other riders so I suspect that may be why my valves need more adjustment than most. The only issues I have are the normal transition characteristics when the VTEC kicks in or out. I solved my particular need by reducing the front sprocket 1 tooth. Previously, while riding through corners at normal speeds, the transition rpm would occur in the corner. At neutral throttle the engine would gurgle between on and off VTEC or if throttle was rolled on, the VTEC would inevitably kick in with an unnerving enthusiasm! Changing the sprocket keeps the engine rpm up just enough that the VTEC is engaged and eliminates the problem.

I've been a little long winded but to answer your question I have complete confidence and satisfaction with the work John has done for me and recommend him without reservation. As for 5th gear, I've heard nothing but compliments about Bill and his crew but I have no personal experience with their work. Carter happens to be very close to my work and I bought the bike from them.

Cheers

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1011 View Post
    Improperly synchronized Starter valves of motor is much more difficult to administer in certain circumstances the small apertures of throttle.
    That's what I've always said.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1011 View Post
    Improperly synchronized Starter valves of motor is much more difficult to administer in certain circumstances the small apertures of throttle.
    This guy is good!!
    Click to View

Law of Logical Argument - "Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticSouth on ADVRider.com
    If i was put here on earth to be a practical functional, purposeful member of society... im a happy FAIL