dangers of riding categorised - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: dangers of riding categorised

Bike
    Sharknado Red '07 D675
    Quote Originally Posted by mekong View Post
    This is a great post...

Makes me wonder, is the danger in riding directly proportionate to the amount or volume of traffic on the roads now? In the past, say like 25 years ago, has it always been as dangerous as it is to ride in 2008? Or is this something that's happended over the last decade?

Obviously anyone but especially experienced, older riders please respond.
    I can only offer my humble opinion as to whether or not your question could be answered sufficiently! After riding for over 40 years (on and off road, as well as on track) I find it an interesting observation on my part to suggest that if you live in a crowded city, as opposed to a less populated rural area, that the risk definitely increases in becoming involved with another vehicle!....on the other hand it is just as possible to crash and become hurt in isolation because of one's own irresponsible behavior involving ego and/or attitude related deficiencies!.......I have low-sided twice on the street at over 170 kph and been fortunate to have survived and matured as a result!....I have only ever been involved in one accident involving another vehicle when riding my bike and that was 2 years ago (100% cager fault). I believe my experience helped save my life!... Since then I have opted to turn my bike into a race bike and go feed my addiction to fast fun on the racetrack in Mission!...I have learned so much about how little I actually knew about riding by going racing and have since discovered that I not only feel safer on the track, but have been able to build a relationship with sportbikes, and become fulfilled by their truest intent and purpose to be ridden....I threw away my poser status and exchanged it for something real and passionate.....Racer status!!.....I just turned 51 (a bloody miracle in itself!) and have gone from being a roadracing Novice (1:28 lap times) at the beginning of 2008 to being competetive in the Am/Int Class (1:11 fastest lap time) by season's end!!!.....If there is anything I can convey to anyone about my experience, I would like it to be this; Motorcycles are Inherently Dangerous!...Risk is only truly rewarding if there is a positive pay-off!....My ego, ignorance, and attitude are my most significant enemies!!..... and I ride way differently on the street since having come to the track!....Education is the best way to avoid unnecessary pain and suffering!.....Look for the leaders in your biking circles/community and judge them by their humility, experiences, and sensibility instead of their superiority complexes or the type of 'cool' gear they fashion!....Come out to the track in 2009 and do some track days to develop a better understanding of sportbikes and their capabilities, as well as your own!.......Cheers, TommyO

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    TC450
    Good post, makes you think twice about thinking "it wont happen to me"

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2009 Hayabusa
    You just never know what will happen. Just the other day i'm riding away from my house in a quiet residential neighborhood. I'm close to home so keeping the speed at 50k so the neighbors don't throw balls at me (actually happened to my other neighbor when he drove his truck too fast) and a kid was coming down the road on his skateboard and wiped out a bit trying to get out of the middle of the road. Then he went to pick up his board and somehow it whipped out in front of me. Just like that, almost taken down by a skateboard. Who would have thought?

Cover your ass

It shouldn't be a surprise that, post-accident in BC, motorcycle riders are more heavily scrutinized than drivers. We have a reputation, and for damn good reason; the minority of guys out there doing 240 k/h and pulling wheelies in traffic are pretty visible, and the rest of us semi-responsible riders get tarred with the same brush. Someone sees some genius trying to commit suicide by motorcycle and thinks we're all like that. ICBC's no different. They've got the stats; they know the injury and accident rates. One rotten grape spoils the whole fruit salad, right?

Riding like Travis Pastrana on the road is riding the elbow of the exponential curve; it's not a matter of IF you dump it, it's when. If you think it won't happen to you, pull your head out of your ass and go read the Hurt report a few times.

After the accident (which I dearly hope none of you ever have) you're gonna be under the eye, big time. The only way to be sure you survive the extra scrutiny from all involved is to not ride like a schmuck in the first place. The ONLY thing that matters to ICBC is the law; right of way is right of way, and 1 k/h over the limit is speeding.

Mission Raceway exists for a reason. Go there to chase your adrenaline rush. There it's perfectly legal, and the paramedics already know how to get there...

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2003 cbr 600rr
    Thank you this report. it really helped me think about my own riding. THANKS!

Bike
    2006 Honda 919 - Hornet
    Thats a huge post. Tonnes of work.

I'm glad there are people like you. I'm the ying and your the yang.
    "Aw fuck what the hell have I done!!!! Fuck me that's going to be hell hard to keep on top of wtf is going on!!!"

Get outta the fast lane!! Array westvan_dude's Avatar
    Bike
    04' Suzuki SV1000S, 01' BMW K1200LT, 94' Suzuki Intruder 1400

Thumbs down

Some bonehead on a lawnmower (harley) cuts between myself and parked cars on Beach Ave with inches either side. I catch up to the guy and give him a so he pulls beside me next light asks if I got a problem. Ya I got a problem, to idiots riding so close they take me out with them. So dude has like sandles, t-shirt, skullcap. He's gonna be the next statistic. I like my speed and sh*t when it's appropriate but dumb ***** in traffic really get me.

Bike
    2008 YZF-R6
    As I new rider I appreciate you taking the time to compile this information. Its nice to have reminders like this to keep my actions in check.

Cheers.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Suzuki
    Thanks for the info

Registered User Array porsche77's Avatar
    Bike
    06 CBR F4i (2013- Current) ---- 01 YZF600R - Thundercat (2011-2013)
    Wow! Eye opener and kinda scary. I try to ride as if everyone around me is driving "Drive by Braille" style. Assuming all the drivers around are blind, you will ride with the highest visibility and conspicuity.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    GSXR 600
    my first season just started today
    took my bike out to steveston with my uncle
    so glad he came with me
    he pointed out at least 6 times i literally could've caused an accident

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2015 Ninja 650
    Wow this thread has been dead for awhile, but I think we should breath some new life into it, it's a great topic and piece of work (just spend over an hour going thru the list). This is coming from someone who hasn't sat on a bike in over ten years. Even as a cager for more then ten years I've had my share of accidents (one included a roll over...not my fault thank god) but it seems people get peeved if you compare cars with motorcycles. I can see that logic, but there's also many things that over lap:

Hyper-awareness-keeping a "map" of the traffic around you. update it with mirrors and blindspot checks (not common with cagers, but we're out there)

Muscle Memory-get into a routine with everyday actions (lane change: check, signal, check, change, signal off) with a car or a bike, do these things without even having to "think" about it.

Heavy Hand (or foot)-Just go watch some youtube videos (cars and bikes). With some people willing to ignore advice from someone, it usually wakes them up when they see it actually happen. (the 1994 overhead car-cam of bruno senna smacking the wall is sobering. A legend gone in an instant)

Complacency- This happens to everyone, the last 20 min of a long ride (or drive) you tend to let your shield down. Thats when you don't see that truck backing out a driveway. When you feel it setting in, the quickest and easiest way to wake yourself up is a good bite on the inside of your lip (no not enough to bleed...just a quick shot of pain)

"Traction Circle"- Try to google this. It's a basic topic about what happens to tires under load, and why cornering when braking is NOT a good idea (car or bike)

Well I thought I would just add my 2 cents worth. I'm happy to see people blasting me or praising me, just as long as we keep a important topic like this going. If anyone is bitching about the weather come join me. I just shoveled a foot of snow out of the drive way. Can't wait for spring

Bike
    DR650
    A good refresher and new info for some:

http://rideapart.com/2013/08/10-comm...to-avoid-them/
    Click to View

Law of Logical Argument - "Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticSouth on ADVRider.com
    If i was put here on earth to be a practical functional, purposeful member of society... im a happy FAIL