Dirtriding area database
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirtriding area database

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis

Dirtriding area database

Hey y'all.

So I'm totally new to dirtriding, and I wanted to get some input from some of you more experienced riders.

What area some good places to go? Why are they good? Is there anything particular someone should know before riding there? How do you get there? (directions) How long is the drive to get there? How long is the ride? etc, etc...

I know some people are secretive about their favourite spots...which is understandable. But for the rest of you, I urge you to post up any knowledge you would be willing to share.

I'm hoping to sticky this thread at the top so we can have a good centralized source for riding information. It was a real headache trying to look through past posts for this stuff.

Thanks guys, it's appreciated.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Get outta the fast lane!! Array westvan_dude's Avatar
    Bike
    04' Suzuki SV1000S, 01' BMW K1200LT, 94' Suzuki Intruder 1400
    Well, I'll be lazy and just paste a portion of my PM to you here:

Hello,
    That FSR in Squamish I filmed the video on is just off of the #99 after you pass the big climber's parking lot at the Chief. I park in the climber's "over-flow" parking lot which is right next to the hwy on your right. The gravel road starts right there and heads east. It goes for 35kms to the top of Indian Arm. There's usually not much cage traffic and it's easy riding. Here and there you can explore some side roads (see 2nd last note at bottom for this weekend) for more adventure. It's definitely for riders of all levels as you can go at whatever speed pleases you.

Unfortunately, there's nothing on the North Shore, it's all illegal - bylaws. That being said, when I got my bike I did a run up the Eagle Lake access road in W. Van and didn't get caught but had an evil look from a lone jogger who I passed slowly.

Closest legal areas is Squamish that way and Maple Ridge (Blue Mountain) to the east. If you want more info on Blue Mountain area let me know. It's probably less distance to the end of the road than the Squamish FSR by a long shot. You get nice views to the east and depending on which branch of the road you take views of Alloutte Lake to the west. Been 4x4ing up there years ago as well.

If you want a loooong ride, you can go past Mission, before the Lougheed crosses the first set of double tracks heading east (convenience store and restaurant right there) go straight on the north side of the tracks until the road makes a sharp left and heads straight for the mountain. Don't take the sharp right, go straight, onto the gravel road. This is the access road for the Mission/Abbotsford water reservoir. If you follow the main road you come out at the golf course next to the Harrison River in the area of the Sasquatch Inn. Very long ride. All logging road. Sometimes it's gated but don't worry about that. Watch out for logging trucks, it's still an active area.

Get a trial membership at www.keyhole.com and you can get satellite images of where you want to ride. Just hit ALT-PrintScreen. Then PASTE the clipboard image into photoshop or whatever and crop it and print. Outside of big cities the resolution isn't that great though. It wasn't good enough for me to see if the Meager Creek hotsprings bridge was still washed out which I think it is. Doh!

Other than that, if you call up the Squamish Forest District they will mail you free maps of all the logging roads in the entire area up to Pemberton. I've got a collection of them I need to dig up and dust off.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Upon Bruce's recommendation, ^that^ was the first site I visited when looking for riding areas. But I couldn't find anything like an easy to access list of riding spots, with other relevant information. Do they have anything like that on that site? Am I just too blind to see it?
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2007 KTM Superduke, 2008 KTM 300XCWe

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by Harps
    Hey y'all.

So I'm totally new to dirtriding, and I wanted to get some input from some of you more experienced riders.

What area some good places to go? Why are they good? Is there anything particular someone should know before riding there? How do you get there? (directions) How long is the drive to get there? How long is the ride? etc, etc...

I know some people are secretive about their favourite spots...which is understandable. But for the rest of you, I urge you to post up any knowledge you would be willing to share.

I'm hoping to sticky this thread at the top so we can have a good centralized source for riding information. It was a real headache trying to look through past posts for this stuff.

Go to the Team Grizzly website for detailed directions to all the singletrack areas in southern B.C. Vedder and Chipmunk Creek are the closest, though Vedder can be gnarly. Hope tailing ponds is the best local area, it has a good mix of trails. Kamloops area is by far the best and once you go there you will be spoiled. Greenstone Mtn., Inks Lake, and Chewels Mtn. Don't forget, these are all areas where dirt bikes are allowed. Stick to the designated areas please, It's not gonna get any easier for us to find good places to ride.

Registered User Array stinkyfast's Avatar
    Bike
    CT70
    Harps check out this guys site. Good shit.
    http://www.davenorona.com/moto/areas.htm

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Getting better guys...thanks!

That's a great link stinky, exactly what I was looking for. Good find.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Bike
    crf250r
    its gotta be time to get a dirt bike again..mcnutts a blast,the tailings ponds(old bc nickel mines)i know how to get there to drive there but have no clue on the directons

john

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Also, this is an exerpt from http://www.squamishdirtbikeassociation.com/:

Upper Mamquam Valley;

Good riding on old and new logging roads, with some single track, places to visit are November Lake Fools gold route, perhalps a future route over to Pitt Lake! and Shookum Creek has cool lava flows, Take the Stawamus/ Chief FSR and drive to Km 3 and park at three way split in road by water shed shack, take center road leading up hill, about 40 km round trip. Topo maps 92G/11 and 92G/10

Brohm Ridge/Cat Lake;

Good riding on old and new logging raod that loops up and back, and a large selection of single track near the bottom of the mountain, Take highway 99 to the Cat Lake Forestry Rec.site turn off north of Squamish, park near the bottom. The next site for our dirt bike track under the power lines to the right of road. Topo 92/G14

Indian Arm FSR;

Same as the upper Mamquam only take road to the right past the gate, long ride into the top of Indian Arm and salt water with Norton Lake as a side trip, take extra gas as a long way back if you run out .Topo 92G/11 and 92G/7

Paradise Valley;

Excellent riding right at the end of the Paradise Valley road, single track up to Starvation Lake and past steep Cheakamus river canyon and water falls to eventaly meet up with Highway 99. Also Hut lake is some serious boulder bouncing into lower and upper Hut Lake, take the Squamish Valley road to Paridise Valley turn off then the Levett Lake turn off to the end of road. Topo 92G/14
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

ZombieChilde
    the island is always good....hop the ferry to langdale and you can pretty much ride right of the boat onto the trails..tonnes of fun logging roads to boot around on..

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Harps
    Hey y'all.

What kind of ridding are you looking to do????...if you go to Chimpmunk there is a network of roads that will take you all the way to dino park on the hwy 1...there is single track everywhere but if your new you will get lost...or find yourself somewhere you may not get out of.....rule of thumb if you go down it ...will you be able to get back up it? I ride with a GPS and still get stuck....but I am here telling you about it so it never was that bad....I been riding off road all my life and ride with lots of the OLD guys who actually cut a lot of the trails all over BC ... most of them are members of all the links you have...pm me next time you are heading out and I may be able to help....hey...heres an Idea...organize a dirt bike ride for newbs...I may be able to take you and a group for a nice ride....

Bike
    your girlfriend
    we just did some of vedder mountain yesterday, i have to admit this is one of the best riding areas i have been to. so far i have gone to stave, mcnutt, harrison, squamish, and sylvester road. vedder had just about everything you could ask for, i found it big enough, that you did not run into too many riders, and the trails are nicely marked. vedder also has a 96db noise limit, posted up.
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF A BIKE, IS THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE SEAT, TO THE HANDLEBARS.

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Sushi ya ha
    What kind of ridding are you looking to do????...if you go to Chimpmunk there is a network of roads that will take you all the way to dino park on the hwy 1...there is single track everywhere but if your new you will get lost...or find yourself somewhere you may not get out of.....rule of thumb if you go down it ...will you be able to get back up it? I ride with a GPS and still get stuck....but I am here telling you about it so it never was that bad....I been riding off road all my life and ride with lots of the OLD guys who actually cut a lot of the trails all over BC ... most of them are members of all the links you have...pm me next time you are heading out and I may be able to help....
    Thanks Mr Sushi, I'll be in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Sushi ya ha
    hey...heres an Idea...organize a dirt bike ride for newbs...I may be able to take you and a group for a nice ride....
    Hey, that's a good idea! Stay tuned...I'll try to get something organized.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you