Portable disc lock / alarm combo ideas?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Portable disc lock / alarm combo ideas?

Bike
    2014 899 Panigale

Portable disc lock / alarm combo ideas?

After hearing of two bikes getting jacked today (one on the forums and another through a friend) I've decided it's time to secure my bike a bit better. I know that nothing is going to prevent people from jacking the thing and I'm not really interested in bolting it to the floor or anything (I've seen those but I live in a high-rise, can't do that here).

I'm wondering what people think are the best portable solutions for this? I park downtown for work a lot so any kind of huge chain deal isn't gonna be too useful if I have to lug it around. I was thinking some type of disc lock + hard-wired alarm combo would be good so I could take it with me wherever I go. I don't need a proximity sensor or any of that stuff that will just end up pissing off the guy parked next to me. Something like an ignition kill / tilt / knock sensor and a solid but portable disc lock seems to be a good combo.

Anyone got any recommendations? It seems the prices on these things are all over the map for the same features - I'd rather not break the bank if I don't HAVE to. Once again, I know the thing is never 100% safe but any good bang for the buck solutions would be awesome. Any bit of a deterrent is better than the cheap ass bicycle lock I use in my parkade that I need a backpack for just to carry.
    2014 899 Panigale
    2008 DRZ-400 SM
    2006 GSX-R 750 (crashed - naked Frankenstein rebuild in progress)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Sorry but if you can't chain it to a tree or lamp post take the money you were going to spend on any kind of alarm and put it toward lowering your deductable.

Unless your bike is bolted/chained/welded to something immovable it's going to be tossed in the back of a pickup/van and gone in 15 seconds if someone wants it.
    All your alarm is going to do is let the thieves know it must be valuable, the owner's "protected" it...

Immobilizers, disc locks, what ever, can all be defeated later in the barn...
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Registered User Array
    Bike
    More than one
    Ditto.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    ^ He's right.

Unless you lock that shit down, anyone can take it.

I'd recomend the heavy chain linked Kryptonite lock, then a Xyena audiable disc lock. 2 reasons. The chain links (big squared off ones) are really hardened, makes it almost impossible to cut with bolt cutters. Grinder will cut through later. The audiable disc lock make scare off dumb kids that sit on the bike, or keep one guy from rolling it into a truck. Plus, soon as you turn the bars you have 10 seconds to realize you left it on, will keep you from wadding your shit underground.

You know those audiable cable locks?? They have a 130db alarm in them and it's some 1" thick cable with some hollow or rope center in them. Junk. Don't think that POS is the best of both worlds, it's the ElCamino of bike locks, not good at either. Bolt cutters cut right through it, took me all of 10 seconds to chomp through one a guy had lost the key for. The audiable part takes about 30 seconds to foil. One can of expanding insulation foam srayed over it mutes it. Done.

You wanna out smart the criminal, start thinking like one. Most of them are opportunistic, you make it easy for them, it's gone, you make it harder for them, 9/10 they move on to the next dumb ass who doesn't lock their shit and leaves it in plain site.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    n/a
    Wouldn't an an alarm + disc lock be better than none?

Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    ......You know those audiable cable locks?? They have a 130db alarm in them and it's some 1" thick cable with some hollow or rope center in them. Junk. Don't think that POS is the best of both worlds, it's the ElCamino of bike locks, not good at either. Bolt cutters cut right through it, took me all of 10 seconds to chomp through one a guy had lost the key for. The audiable part takes about 30 seconds to foil. One can of expanding insulation foam srayed over it mutes it. Done....
    ohh good info to know, time for me to go shopping for a new bike..
    Heeere's your sign...

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    What about a "tracking device" so you can find it later? Acumen for example. http://www.elitesecuritysupplies.com...ng_system.html

http://www.acumen-electronics.co.uk/..._Alarms,b.html
    Last edited by CanadianBird; 03-19-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBird View Post
    What about a "tracking device" so you can find it later? Acumen for example. http://www.elitesecuritysupplies.com...ng_system.html
    So you can find what later? The tracking device tied on to a log floating down the river....

Maybe but I figure the pros will have that tossed in minutes
    Heeere's your sign...

Registered User Array Captain_Canada's Avatar
    Bike
    1999 Ducati Monster 750m
    Would it be possible for you to leave a heavy chain linked Kryptonite lock or similar at your place of employment and just lock it up with that when you get to work? That might be a deterioration while you're at work anyway.
    1999 Ducati Monster 750m

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbachphoto View Post
    Wouldn't an an alarm + disc lock be better than none?
    Anything is better than nothing. Heard of false economy??? Buy a shitty lock is just that. My shit is triple locked and I still done assume my bike might be there when I get back. Insurance works.

Bike
    Buell 99X1, 97S1
    when ever I park in a sketchy place I park my bike in 4th or 5th and roll till it locks up. put my Xena disc alarm on the front rotor on the back of the fork. no matter what you do its locked. you cant take it off the side stand,roll it, or do anything without the alarm going. The disc lock immobilizes along with parking it in gear. Xena alarm is loud as [email protected]#% and good luck getting that off your rotor. I live in a high rise and these alarms are damn loud in the underground.

Thieves tend to steal bikes they can unload or part out unnoticed...
    Custom Motorcycles don't get stolen unnoticed. if you have a tricked out bike and it gets stolen 9/10 you will know the thief

Registered User Array
    Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    Anything is better than nothing. Heard of false economy??? Buy a shitty lock is just that. My shit is triple locked and I still done assume my bike might be there when I get back. Insurance works.
    Fair enough. I want to get something because I work at a night club and don't really want drunk people near/on my bike. So I figured an alarm would be the way to go.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    More than one
    Fair enough. I want to get something because I work at a night club and don't really want drunk people near/on my bike. So I figured an alarm would be the way to go.
    You might want to consider public transit. Drunk people don't care about how much noise your alarm makes.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastmaster View Post
    You might want to consider public transit. Drunk people don't care about how much noise your alarm makes.
    No public transit at 3:30am when I get off work and it's a $25 cab ride each way to home. Public Transit sucks in Victoria.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    More than one
    No public transit at 3:30am when I get off work and it's a $25 cab ride each way to home. Public Transit sucks in Victoria.
    At 3:30 in the morning, public transit everywhere sucks. Sorry, I've got no more solutions for you besides a beatermobile.