What are the risks of smuggling goods back into Canada?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the risks of smuggling goods back into Canada?

Bike
    Yeti dually

What are the risks of smuggling goods back into Canada?

With a pocketful of Christmas cash expected and the relative strength of the Canadian $ vs. the US greenback, the temptation to hit the US stores for some deals next week is stronger than years past. However, paying duties and taxes when coming back across the border may limit the "real" deal factor of buying in the States, so, question is, does anyone know what the ACTUAL penalties are if you get caught smuggling back legal goods into Canada? I've heard various stories ... some saying all you're forced to do is pay the taxes and duties with no fine, others saying vehicles can be impounded until a fine is paid on top of duties & taxes. Anyone have the straight goods??
    Racer34

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnin
    yah....prolly got some gas into the carbs n' shit...

doug
    to find the stuff, they can strip the car, and hand you back the parts.

for booze or tobacco, they can seize the car. its no longer yours.

you get a nice flag on your "file" if you get caught. over and above your punishment.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    There are no clear cut penalties as far as I can see. Each case is handled individually.

The minimum you will get for trying to avoid paying duty and taxes on a t-shirt, is a slap on the wrist and a red X beside your name in the computer.

It all goes uphill from there including; impounding your vehicle, fines, jail time, and strip searches of course.

Remember, customs agents have more power than RCMP officers in many situations.

Its not worth it. Once you are in the computer they will hassle you everytime you go cross the border.

:) you'll live longer Array rockshoxbiker's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha
    If you really want a deal, just don't even bother paying for your shit, and it's 100% off! and you don't have to go far either!

... it's pretty much the same kinda thing you're asking.

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    How much of a cheap ass are you ? and what's your risk level ?

I know last year a customer lied about the price of a bike they brought back and they find him $2500 US plus the taxes. Now everytime he crosses the border expect another 1 to 2 hr delay because of the for sure going to happen searching.

If your only getting a couple things they usually wave you thru anyway if not go pay the taxes so we can have clean roads in the spring

Bike
    2006 GSXR 1000
    1 Risk I see is the pain factor removing items from your rectum (inserting them also)... Unless your experienced in this.
    but on a more serious note, if you get lots of stuff, I would pay duties on a couple things, and hide the rest somewhere good.

Ryan
    “Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence”.

Don't Get Shot In The Back!

Bike
    2005 636
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgixxer
    Its not worth it. Once you are in the computer they will hassle you everytime you go cross the border.
    yeah it's an enormous pain in the ass....

Bike
    Yeti dually
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshoxbiker
    If you really want a deal, just don't even bother paying for your shit, and it's 100% off! and you don't have to go far either!

... it's pretty much the same kinda thing you're asking.
    Yeah, I figured shoplifting was pretty much the same as not paying duties too ...
    Racer34

Bike
    Yeti dually
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thgear
    How much of a cheap ass are you ? and what's your risk level ?

I know last year a customer lied about the price of a bike they brought back and they find him $2500 US plus the taxes. Now everytime he crosses the border expect another 1 to 2 hr delay because of the for sure going to happen searching.

If your only getting a couple things they usually wave you thru anyway if not go pay the taxes so we can have clean roads in the spring
    Risk level is fairly low in this instance ... I like the ability to travel freely with limited hassles, hence my query regarding possible risks/penalties of smuggling.

If only we could assume the taxes/duties paid to the Feds actually went into maintaining our roads and not into some Quebecois advertiser's pockets.
    Racer34

The Comedy is in the Back Array Saturnin's Avatar
    Bike
    bro, do you even ride in a straight line? #1 asshole
    all depends what u bring back....if its clothing, just wear it, go wearing ratty shit and come out wif new threads
    ..its not worth to smuggle shit across the border, i've sat at US customs and i had nothing, random check...its just a waste of fucking time.
    I once went over with bags of leafs in my truck, so this cunt pulled me over(she was pulling everyone over in her lane-i guess i should have switched), kept asking why i didnt throw htem out, etc etc. So i'm waiting there for about 1hr, finally the guy doesnt even check my fucking truck and just says go through...like wtf. Also, while i was waiting, some chevy truck full of garden junk went right through.

Throttle Trauma 3 - Stunt riding documentary - digital download - visit Asphaltjunkiez.com
    The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

Bike
    2002 SV650S Ghost
    Everyone has summed it up nicely already. This is from a friend of mine who is a customs officer. Keep in mind, this is the airport which is a little different.

Being caught is not worth it! Heed the warnings.

First, you get a fine. Fines are generally over 100% of the price you paid. No, it's not a duty. Pretty much due to NAFTA, you don't pay duties on any items from the US. You can buy a car or bike and not pay duties, unlike most other countries.
    On top of the fine, you pay taxes. Have fun with that.
    Depending on the officer, you can theoretically have your car impounded. Trafficking goods for the intent of sale is one good case. Same goes for stolen goods.
    The future? Once you get your big red X, it's there forever. Sorry, there are no time limits. Whenever you leave the country and re-enter, expect a hassle. You may even get your car searched EVERY time you re-enter the country. This will also go for re-entries at the airport. Luggage will be searched.

Now you get to weigh your options. Sometimes, the officer is nice and will let you cross easily. Even with a car load of goods.

The Comedy is in the Back Array Saturnin's Avatar
    Bike
    bro, do you even ride in a straight line? #1 asshole
    all to save 50bux on an item and 14 on taxes lol...great deal to me

Throttle Trauma 3 - Stunt riding documentary - digital download - visit Asphaltjunkiez.com
    The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

Bike
    Yeti dually
    Dru ... appreciate the informed response. This is exactly what I was hoping to achieve with this thread and hopefully it is beneficial to others on the boards.
    Racer34

AKA Newfie Girl Array Newfie Girl's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda street
    Interesting what is perceived as a horrible crime and what is ok to overlook around here.

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfie Girl
    Interesting what is perceived as a horrible crime and what is ok to overlook around here.
    It boils down to perception and personal bias.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.