What are the risks of smuggling goods back into Canada? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: What are the risks of smuggling goods back into Canada?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    I just cannot comprehend the mindset that lies for money. If you have to do that then maybe you shouldn't be buying things.
    That is a broad and sweeping statement. Lol.*

You must realize being employed by the government that many people begrudge the amount of taxation we are subjected to. I wouldn't say nescessarily in relation to rcmp spending but moreso to the overwhelming wasteful spending that governments at all levels participate in. It's easy to say, no no no, we've got it so good. Which we do. But anyone with intimate knowledge of government spending could easily be disillusioned I think. *And even those without too, just from the overwhelming evidence of it presented in nearly all aspects of our daily lives.*

I don't cross border shop. I don't break any laws. *Hell I've recently been audited even. So I can speak freely about this and play devils advocate as much as I'd like. *If I did cross border shop I could never 'smuggle', just couldn't pull it off. I'm the worst at trying to lie, so I don't even bother. For me the stress in 'cheating' would just never be worth any possible savings. But I'd wager many people who would never cheat another person and consider themselves inherently honest would gladly save a few bucks when it comes to the government.*

Bike
    CB 500X
    Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    Sure. But taking a nail or such which may require an emergency replacement is different than just wearing out a tire and replacing it.*

I'm curious if say you had to have a emergency repair to your bike in some other department like the engine. If they would have anyway of determining that. Witness marks on the bolts? *Do they check stuff like that?
    Emergency or not, customs agents enforce the rules.

Another story here. In returning from WSBK in 2008 I had tire problems on my truck. I knew they were somewhat worn, but I thought they'd be good for the trip. Not so. Bands starting breaking and my truck was shaking hard going down the highway.

Saw a bill board for a Les Schwab tire shop in Montana, took the exit and soon had a set of American made Cooper ATs installed for $750 US.

When I got to the Canadian border, I declared everything and paid zero duty when I was expecting to pay. Bought American product and stayed long enough to avoid duty.

I'd have been a giant loser to not declare those duty free tires and then get busted.
    'I ride, therefore I'm not here.'

Bike
    yeah you would need a set of balls to fuck with the ss of the gestapo strip aka the boarder. that being said.. they dont like collecting taxes.. so more often then not on normal shit they dont care.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    That is a broad and sweeping statement. Lol.*

You must realize being employed by the government that many people begrudge the amount of taxation we are subjected to. I wouldn't say nescessarily in relation to rcmp spending but moreso to the overwhelming wasteful spending that governments at all levels participate in. It's easy to say, no no no, we've got it so good. Which we do. But anyone with intimate knowledge of government spending could easily be disillusioned I think. *And even those without too, just from the overwhelming evidence of it presented in nearly all aspects of our daily lives.

The amount of money I saw get flushed down the drain at Transport Canada was astounding. For my little base with its 2 helicopters, I saw millions wasted. Shameful actions by the managers. But that still is no reason not to pay your share, not you Squisher - the all encompassing term. If some idiot uses the excuse that because the gov't wastes money on things he doesn't like and therefore isn't entitled to the $50 in taxes on that set of Dunlop Q3s ..... He isn't a social warrior with the intention of solving the country's problems. He's a cheap bugger who can't afford what he bought.

Quote Originally Posted by HighZoot View Post
    they dont like collecting taxes.. so more often then not on normal shit they dont care.
    I wouldn't say they don't like collecting them, but getting drugs/guns/human traffickers is much more fun.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    My wife is employed through the government. So I have to agree. Pay up! *That's why I can only really play devils advocate here as a good deal of our household income flows from the government.*

But isn't it the North American way?......not being able to afford what we buy. *

I'm hopefully(don't want to jinx it with this crap ongoing weather we're having) gonna be south of the line in a week and a half. So I'm glad my new tires are well scrubbed in. Only a overnighter so I'll have to research how much I can splurge while down there. Just kidding, it's not a shopping trip. It's a riding trip!*