So you're going to buy a motard ??? - Page 4
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: So you're going to buy a motard ???

freighttrain
    lol, ill get ya steve!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Your mama...(late model)
    I'm really excited. I just got rid of my 954 and got a brand new XR 650 R tweaked out with two sets of wheels and a baja kit. My only experience with this styl of bike was for three drunk months on my XR 650 L in 2001 before it got stolen, but I had fun. I can't wait to learn something new. I cant wait to go off road and get fucking pissed drunk and not get DUI's! THIS IS GONNA BE FUCKING AWSOME! no speeding tickets either.

Just kiddin! LOL Really I am not like that. I am a family man, and a fine upstanding citizen!
    “……If a chick sits on your face and you can't hear the stereo anymore...she's too fat! --The Machinist.

thump. Array
    Bike
    nope
    congratulations man!! you're gonna love it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

es ist orange und bellt Array barking pumpkin's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 KTM 540SM
    Congrats on the conversion to the "Dark" side!!!!

es ist orange und bellt Array barking pumpkin's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 KTM 540SM
    Ya...the first night at f440....all were gonna hear is a big ass Honda and "FAAAAACK!!!!!!woooohoooo!!!!" "Yeee haaa!!! FUUUUCK!!!!"

CARNAGE
    Thanks for the info.
    You made Husqvarna another 8k$..

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2005 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Now that they've been out for awhile does anybody have an opinion on the KLX250's ? Particularly ones that have been SM'd.

I'm thinkin about gettin out of sportbikes and gettin into SM but I've found unless I buy new there's not much available that I'm interested in. I'd love to buy new but it looks like you have to spend $8k min + taxes to get something decent and I just can't afford that right now. So what I was thinking is I could sell or trade my 2001 F4i for a new KLX 250 (I've seen them advertised new for $5500) buy rims and/or tires, still have fun, insurance would be cheap and I'd cut down on the number of speeding tickets I tend to accumulate. The problem is I need and want a bike capable of doing 100km/h for an hour + at a time and it has to have electric start and a kickstand. I know the KLX has an electric start and kickstand but is this amount of hwy riding too much to ask for from the KLX250 ? My other worry is that I'll get bored quickly with the lack of power from the small power plant but from what I remember of the dirtbikes I rode as a teenager they're more high strung and much lighter than a street bike so they seem more powerful and faster than they really are. For example I remember riding a near new 1986 CR60 when I was around 15 and thinkin holy fuck is this thing fast. Mind you it was on a dirt trail and my riding experience at the time was almost none. Is this true with dual sports as well or are they alot more "tame" than dirt bikes ? What about the KLX250 ? The spec's and appearance seem more dirt bike'ish than most dual sports. I've read that a 300 kit is an easy bolt on and fairly cheap at around $500 in case I find it low on power plus there's a bunch of other cheap or free mod's you can do but I'm still worried it won't be enough.

I know I asked alot of questions which boil down to personal preferance so answering them is probably going to be difficult but any opinions/advice would be appreciated. At some point I just need to ride one to find out for myself but I'm worried that the fact that this kind of bike is totally foreign to me my initial impression may be better or worse than it should be. For right now all I'm wanting to try and figure out is if it's worth pursuing. Thanks.
    Last edited by 96ZX7R; 03-01-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Bike
    N/A Supermoto:
    Whats wrong with this ??? is it because you want to trade in ? https://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...ght=Super+Moto
    look where you want to go even if there's no chance in hell of actually getting there..

Just Another Enthusiast Array vrecksler's Avatar
    Bike
    Naked SV
    96ZX7R, I agree with WILD, the DRZ is as good a bike as any based on what you have described.

• The insurance on a 400c will be the same (equal declared value) as the smaller 250cc.
    • The DRZ engine can take as much punishment as you can throw at it
    • The bike comes ready to ride

I commuted from Cloverdale to UBC for two years on a converted DRZ S; that is ~100km a day, with the majority of that freeway. I changed the oil, adjusted the chain, and kept filling the tank....that is pretty much it. Take a look at one, and if you want to throw a leg over one just PM me. We are both in Cloverdale so you can take it for a rip and see what you think.

B-r-a-d-l-e-y...Why? Because I'm Bradley!

Email

Bike
    99 tl1000r, 05 drz 400sm
    hey 96zx7r, i would hold on to the sportbike for a while after you get a motard just in case its not what you expect it to be. i recently picked up a drz sm, and while it is a great bike, i couldnt imagine having it as my only bike, just for the fact that if youre a sportbike guy you'll soon realize the limits of only having a motard.

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    KLX 250 is OK as a motard but it gets old quick. You'll want something bigger and faster in very little time. I HAd a YZF 250 motard and it was fun for tight track practice but any place where there is a straight away all the 400/450's will blow by you.

Also the wheelie factor on a 250 is not as much fun. It will do endless wheelies but the 450's will do it any time any gear. Which is about 80% of the fun in street ripping.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2005 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by WILD FX View Post
    Whats wrong with this ??? is it because you want to trade in ? https://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...ght=Super+Moto
    Yeah I saw that one but as I said my budget is limited right now so I was going to either sell my F4i and use the money to buy a SM or trade it straight across. Based on what you guy's said there's a pretty good chance I'll put one more season on the F4i and save my pennies in the meantime.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2005 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by vrecksler View Post
    96ZX7R, I agree with WILD, the DRZ is as good a bike as any based on what you have described.

• The insurance on a 400c will be the same (equal declared value) as the smaller 250cc.
    • The DRZ engine can take as much punishment as you can throw at it
    • The bike comes ready to ride

I commuted from Cloverdale to UBC for two years on a converted DRZ S; that is ~100km a day, with the majority of that freeway. I changed the oil, adjusted the chain, and kept filling the tank....that is pretty much it. Take a look at one, and if you want to throw a leg over one just PM me. We are both in Cloverdale so you can take it for a rip and see what you think.
    Thanks for the offer Vrecksler. I might take you up on it but not till at least april when I get mine on the road. I wouldn't feel right ridin yours if you weren't ridin mine beside me.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2005 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by getoffdagrid View Post
    hey 96zx7r, i would hold on to the sportbike for a while after you get a motard just in case its not what you expect it to be. i recently picked up a drz sm, and while it is a great bike, i couldnt imagine having it as my only bike, just for the fact that if youre a sportbike guy you'll soon realize the limits of only having a motard.
    I hear ya getoffdagrid. That is my biggest worry, that I sell mine get a SM and regret it. The problem is I've never riden a SM and haven't riden a dirtbike in 20+ yrs so it's going to be a leap of faith. Sure I could take one for a 20 minute test ride but with my limited experience I don't know if I can trust my initial impression to last for any real length of time. I could get on one and initially love it (or hate it) but without owning one I won't know what my long term feeling would be.

There's no way the wife would go for me owning both or me justifying tieing up the necessary amount cash either so that options out.
    Last edited by 96ZX7R; 03-02-2007 at 05:18 AM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2005 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thgear View Post
    KLX 250 is OK as a motard but it gets old quick. You'll want something bigger and faster in very little time. I HAd a YZF 250 motard and it was fun for tight track practice but any place where there is a straight away all the 400/450's will blow by you.

Also the wheelie factor on a 250 is not as much fun. It will do endless wheelies but the 450's will do it any time any gear. Which is about 80% of the fun in street ripping.
    That was what I figured Bill. I'd be lyin if I said the wheelie factor wasn't a big draw for me as well. My first choice would be a Husky 610, 450 or 510. They look sic and I've read nothing but good things about them but I've yet to see a used one and the new ones are too pricey for me to take a chance on. The DRZ is my second choice just because there's a greater chance of finding a used one. I just figured the KLX would be a way to try this style of ridin out without tieing up too much cash and still get to own something brand new which really appealed to me.

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I'll have to put this on hold for a while but if you hear of anyone with a used DRZ or Husky that wants to trade for a 2001 F4i let me know. Bill I'll be bringing my bike by your shop late this month or early next for a new chain so you'll see then what I've got to offer so far as a trade (not necessarily to you but perhaps someone that comes in looking to get out of SM's).
    Last edited by 96ZX7R; 03-02-2007 at 05:15 AM.