So you're going to buy a motard ??? - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: So you're going to buy a motard ???

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee
    How good are you at dirt? I had the same idea to get rid of my DR350 and get a second set of wheels for the Husky. That lasted all of 3 milliseconds before I realized that the Husky would pound me down into the mud so far and fast that it would take at least a decade for the tree that grows out of my remains to see daylight. But if you have some serious Motocross background then you'd probably LOVE it.

A more mild bike like the DRZ would be able to do double duty but in that case get two of the dirt/street ones and get the SM wheels. If you start with the DRZ SM you can't go for dirt sized brakes since the fork uses a fixed length caliper mount rather than an adapter. So only two bikes with second set of wheels.
    LOL, thanks for the reality check Bruce! You of course are right, and I'm no expert at dirt, so i really don't need a bucking bronco out there! Ok, Husky and maybe a smaller CRF, WR, 250 for the dirt. Now all I need is a mini-moto for racing at tradex and I'm sorta set! Wait...I still need that touring bike too...
    WMRC & PCMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    Burnaby Kawasaki

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Find a couple of older XR 250's, XR400's or even a couple of my beloved DR350's for dirt riding. The DR is SO tractable that it actually got me OUT of many a problem that I put us into. With almost no dirt time at all I actually did at least as good or better than my two buddies that were on 650's (XR and DR) at last years DeadZone mudfest.

DR350 or XR400. Both are excellent but the DR can be had in street legal form while the XR is off road only unless you jump the hoops.

If you just want to do some light duty trail riding as opposed to " you HAVE to get there from here" then a couple of TTR225's would be nice or XR225's or a couple of CRF 230's. The CRF 250 is back to fire snorting liquid cooled craziness but without bigger bike torque to carry it as is the WR 250. Another street legal 250 that looks darn good to me is the new (and cheapest in class by a lot) KLX250. Nicely set up but street legal. If you just want to play at motarding at the F440 track you could do a LOT worse than two of these with the right tires.

But if Megan beats you don't come crying to ME...
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    06 CBR600RR, 07 CRF150R
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee
    How good are you at dirt? I had the same idea to get rid of my DR350 and get a second set of wheels for the Husky. That lasted all of 3 milliseconds before I realized that the Husky would pound me down into the mud so far and fast that it would take at least a decade for the tree that grows out of my remains to see daylight. But if you have some serious Motocross background then you'd probably LOVE it.

A more mild bike like the DRZ would be able to do double duty but in that case get two of the dirt/street ones and get the SM wheels. If you start with the DRZ SM you can't go for dirt sized brakes since the fork uses a fixed length caliper mount rather than an adapter. So only two bikes with second set of wheels.
    i dunno.... i got rid of my DRZ (400, mind you) in favour of the Husqi 450 for this very reason - i couldn't handle the DRZ in the dirt. getting on the Husqi increased my confidence and riding ability instantly. if you ignore the specs and take an opinion of a 120lb female: the DRZ is much heavier and cumbersome than the Husqi 450. that is the only comparison that i can make but at the end of the day, i can learn to control power much faster than weight/size.

there are trade-offs outside the dirt application though. for an all-round street bike and occasional dirt rider, a DRZ is hard to beat.
    one six two seven eight nine

Bike
    06 CBR600RR, 07 CRF150R
    also, getting into a mini-moto is an excellent (and very affordable) option! there was a guy on an XR100 with sportsman wheels at the Key this weekend running in one of the big bike classes and i think he placed top 3 or 4?

Plus, you'll have a guaranteed blast on it in the dirt and they are relatively easy to flip.
    one six two seven eight nine

thump. Array
    Bike
    nope
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver
    also, getting into a mini-moto is an excellent (and very affordable) option! there was a guy on an XR100 with sportsman wheels at the Key this weekend running in one of the big bike classes and i think he placed top 3 or 4?

Plus, you'll have a guaranteed blast on it in the dirt and they are relatively easy to flip.
    Yeah, those minis got me thinking about adding a bike....they looked like a blast too!

are any years XR100 better to look for than others? any other tips in looking for one?

The TTR125 is another option?

Thx
    Last edited by bradnailer; 08-03-2006 at 09:08 PM.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    brad,they ARE a blast. Bring whatever riding gear you're comfy with out to the F440 track this Monday and you're welcome to ride my finely tuned racing thoroughbred XR (gag... )

If you like it then this, or the Yami TTR125 or Zook DR125, are the bikes that fit into the Pac Coast Mini Road Racing groups Thunder Class of bike. Low key fun but you still get to rub elbows out on a course at whatever pace you're comfy with.

Alternately you and anyone else is welcome to come out to the home track at Tradex on any of our racing days and you'll find two or three folks willing to let you take their bikes out for a burn over the lunch break. For more info on classes and race dates see www.miniracingbc.com . We are actively trying to spread the word about just how much fun these "Shriner" bikes can really be.

And yeah, that No 13 mini was really burning up the track. I can't wait to see how he does against Rolly and Kim at some Tradex events.

Years of XR's to look for? I'm partial to the newer ones since about 2002 just because of the sexier looking seat and tank but Kim won the big championship last year riding their old and really battered looking early 90's XR. It's just way more about riding in the THunderclass than it is about power. Mods are SEVERLY restricted.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    I actually tend to agree with Holly about the DRZ. It's a nice general purpose bike but if you're not looking for stree legal in the package then other options come up that are just as much fun. The CRF230 is a superb bike and with a swap to another set of wheels can do a nice play motard deal. But if your goal is to RACE motards then all the previous stuff can be tossed. In that case it's a Husky or KTM or Husaberg. Or you buy a Honda or Yami and then spend beaucoup bucks getting all the motard stuff. But if you just want to play motard ride at the various non races and do some trail riding then I pretty much have to say that it's hard to beat the DRZ unless that Kawi KLX250 pans out. The cost is a lot less than the DRZ and it's got the specs from what I saw.

If you and Meagan (sp? I can think of about 4 ways to spell her name and I can't remember which is right at the moment) want to try the cheap assed DR350 out at the F440 track just let me know and I'll bring it out and you two can take turns playing. It's still a blast but no where near as panicy as the Husky is.

I ride bikes w/o lights Array BrianSM's Avatar
    Bike
    Whats a sportbike ?
    Bill here are three bikes to add to your list.......

First is a "MZ 660 Baghira" (sold it unfortunately) Great Street tard 17 front 4.5 inch rear...
    350 lbs with 55 hp

Second is "Husaberg 550" great race bike 16.5 front and a 5 inch rear
    243 lbs with 58-60 hp

Third is a "KX 500 SM" another great race bike...
    250 lbs with 60 HP
    Last edited by BrianSM; 08-04-2006 at 09:06 AM.
    Brian # 30

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    Thanks for all the info Bruce and everyone! I think my goal for the SM is to race it, possibly at Mission, as well as other events too. So I think the Husky will do fine for that. The fact that I can street it as well for the occaisional hooligan night is awesome! For the dirt, I will have to check the CRF230 for just that! AND...I do want to get a mini-moto so an XR100 or TTR125, etc will fit the bill nicely. I'd like to come out to the F440 track this weekend, however, after 2 day of mission, I'm gonna have to spend some non-track time with Meighan. However, I will take you up on the offer at another F440 night!
    WMRC & PCMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    Burnaby Kawasaki

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Bike
    2004 husaberg 450
    you should also look at a kx100 for the dirt/mini motard they freaking rip!

freighttrain
    huskies are crap go w/ japanese

es ist orange und bellt Array barking pumpkin's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 KTM 540SM
    Ok...the guy pounds on the poor novice riders and now is the king of smack!...should have come and played with the Fritzies, Guito's and Svend's in the Intermediate class! LOL

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrain
    huskies are crap go w/ japanese

Just because the japanese bikes come with an ass shovel to pry you off your bike doesn't mean there better.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    And the truly awesome thing about owning a Husky is that you get to tell everyone that you own an MV Agusta and not be lieing. The tag is right there under the saddle.....

I ride bikes w/o lights Array BrianSM's Avatar
    Bike
    Whats a sportbike ?
    Bill, when they haven't ridden Euro bikes all they can do is talk shit.......Till you have ridden everything out there "they" should not comment......Husky is an awesome bike.....so's TM for that matter....some Euro's still have a few bugs but overall its worth being patient...getting on a Euro is like night and day to a rice burner.....! I don't need to tell you that !
    Brian # 30