another battery question

Thread: another battery question

Registered User Array Miteorite's Avatar
    Bike
    g|xx3r

another battery question

So, I had a battery sitting outside of my bike for most of the winter.
    I charged it for a couple of hours, and it started the bike. Couple of days later - no juice. Does it means it's dead and I need a new one?

Please advise.

-D

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Quite likely but perhaps not. A couple of hours isn't enough to bring a battery up to fully charged. Add on the juice you sucked out of it with the starting and you may have sucked it dry again.

Try charging it for overnight. Take the charger off and check the voltage. leave it for a few days. If it's dead then it's really dead. If it's good then you're OK.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Try popping the lids off and topping up the electrolyte too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

KAwa-lev
    you should never do that man.. not on a sealed battery, thats what im sayn tho, go ahead lol

New chain...Soo smooth... Array Black Sunshine's Avatar
    Bike
    R1
    you should never do that man.. not on a sealed battery
    Hmm... well, if the battery is 'sealed' then there is no 'lid' to pop off, is there?

Don't make a minor battery issue into a major problem - it is most like sulfated from sitting around. The newer trickle chargers have a 'desulfate' option that has revived old batteries of mine that I thought were toast.

Invest the $45 and get a decent charger, and use it during the winter.

My 2 cents.
    Tune-up Tip: If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you must have an electrical problem.

Registered User Array Miteorite's Avatar
    Bike
    g|xx3r
    I have a cheapie 0.9A/hr charger from Canadian Tire. I charged it for 4 hours and it had enough juice to start the bike.. The battery says 10 hours at 1A though. Would that do it you think, or will it just kill the battery all together? I dont want ot buy a trickle charger, because I sold my bike. I was expecting battery trouble so I promised to deal with it when I sold the bike. I dont want to be out a $100 for a new battery though

Happy Camper Array BlackScorpion's Avatar
    Purgasurrey Sportbike: GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9, 2003 Derbi SuperMoto Xtreme Posts:1,000,016!!
    Bike
    GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9 Posts:1,000,012!!
    Sometimes "tapping" or shaking the battery gently on the ground can break off some of the corrosion on the surface of the lead plates, exposing them better to the electrolyte. Be gentle though, the lead plates inside are very delicate.

Putting the battery on a good "smart" charger for a couple of days can make a big difference too. I have an all-purpose CanTire charger with a 2A/12A/70A settings. I've put my bike battery on the 2A setting for a day. The charger stops charging when the battery is "full".

Also, if you're going to go on short trips in the bright sunshine, pull the plugs on the back of your headlights so more juice from the charger goes to the battery...remember to plug them back in when it gets dark... (yes this is dangerous)
    Team Troll
    "Happy New Ear!" - Mike Tyson.

Ratzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by KAwa-lev
    you should never do that man.. not on a sealed battery, thats what im sayn tho, go ahead lol
    depends on which battery, the maintenance free or the old one..if its the maintenance free one, dont do it...if its the old one (usually red and white), then do it

Bike
    2011 VStrom 650, 1983 KZ750, 2006 WR450, and any racebike I can get my hands on!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee
    Quite likely but perhaps not. A couple of hours isn't enough to bring a battery up to fully charged. Add on the juice you sucked out of it with the starting and you may have sucked it dry again.

Try charging it for overnight. Take the charger off and check the voltage. leave it for a few days. If it's dead then it's really dead. If it's good then you're OK.
    good advice
    chicken strips are a sign of intelligence
    unless you're at the track ;)

[B]https://secure.bcchf.ca/SuperheroPag...FD&Member=2483

Bike
    2011 VStrom 650, 1983 KZ750, 2006 WR450, and any racebike I can get my hands on!!
    Quote Originally Posted by burnt03
    BAD ADVICE....what if it's maintenance free, which you should never ever open

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Miteorite
    I have a cheapie 0.9A/hr charger from Canadian Tire. I charged it for 4 hours and it had enough juice to start the bike.. The battery says 10 hours at 1A though. Would that do it you think, or will it just kill the battery all together? I dont want ot buy a trickle charger, because I sold my bike. I was expecting battery trouble so I promised to deal with it when I sold the bike. I dont want to be out a $100 for a new battery though
    If it sitting killed it in a few days, then you will hear back from that person shortly!

The maintenance free batteries (sealed) don't like to sit around uncharged. Once they reach zero, they are usually shot. In fact, I'd be surprised if it wasn't. If it's charged, it should sit around for months and still start.
    In the first 4 hours, it would recieve most of it's charge, and unless you just let it idle, which drains the battery, she's a goner

Quote Originally Posted by PRSmechanic
    BAD ADVICE....what if it's maintenance free, which you should never ever open
    How can you tell if it's maintenance free or not? I always assumed that the maintenance free ones were sealed (ie. no lids)?

Ratzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by burnt03
    How can you tell if it's maintenance free or not? I always assumed that the maintenance free ones were sealed (ie. no lids)?
    maintenance free ones are the small and usually black ones

the ones you can fill up are usually red and white with yellow caps at the top

damn broken leg!!!!!!! Array gixxer_76's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 KX250 Ripper!!!!
    Even the maintenance free batteries have caps. They are shipped with the electrolyte seperate and it is installed at PDI time.

It may be a bit dry but I doubt water will help. Batteries need constant service (charge, partial discharge, repeat) to live a long life. Face it, this batteries days are numbered.
    Just like a twig, your leg will snap if you smash it into a wall with a 400 Lb bike @ 100+ Km/h. So just don't do it!

http://www.saveonwheelrepair.com