motorcycle radar detectors
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: motorcycle radar detectors

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2003 Suzuki SV650 Naked

motorcycle radar detectors

i'm wondering if anyone is using any kind of radar detectors on their motorcycles? if so, what kind/price and effectiveness, and if you have a picture that would be great as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    With today's use of laser radar, the only thing your radar detector will tell you is that you have been caught.

Bike
    2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic; 2006 Triumph Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by nixon View Post
    i'm wondering if anyone is using any kind of radar detectors on their motorcycles? if so, what kind/price and effectiveness, and if you have a picture that would be great as well.

Despite what some people believe, a radar detector will work and will save you tickets.

My Passport 8500, with earpiece, practically pays for itself every time I ride Hwy 3 between Hope and Princeton. Starts chirping long before my Geezer eyes can pick out Smokey. It really did pay for itself long ago.

E-bay is a good place to save yourself $100 - sellers of new units both here and in the US.
    It is dishonourable to be overtaken

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    I picked up my x50 new from a guy in Abby - $260 for the blue one. But yeah, search - there's lots of threads about em.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR / 2007 SV1000S
    Picked my x50 from ebay for $300, haven't had it on my bike yet but has saved my ass in my truck. Gonna have it mounted on the bike this riding season.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhead View Post
    With today's use of laser radar, the only thing your radar detector will tell you is that you have been caught.
    If you ride in the US, it's still worth it. Most podunk small town cops and county sheriffs are still running radar.

Registered User Array Dee Hubbs's Avatar
    Bike
    04 Daytona 600
    My X50 has paid for it self many times over. Even saved me from Lidar a few times when the second chase car left his radar on.
    I have found it teaches me more about their radar habits like locations, how long they wait to flip the switch, care factor ect.
    Lots of threads, read up.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2003 Suzuki SV650 Naked
    thanks for the info!

'Busa girls, God love 'em Array Argyle's Avatar
    Bike
    06 'Busa
    X50...no more to say here

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle
    My Passport 9800i and a little common sense and keeping my eyes peeled saved me from a Lidar trap on the I-5 today.

Common sense = knowing that the corridor on the I-5 just south of the Peace Arch crossing is a speed trap intense zone.

Eyes peeled = Looking for anything parked on the median or on overpasses or on ramps.

Passport 9800i = Lidar threat warning as patrol car comes to view from 1000 meters away with cop pointing Lidar gun at me from his window.

If your detector warns you of Lidar, it means that the cop is trying to get his aim on your front license plate or if on your bike, probably your headlight. It can give you that one moment you can exploit to drop below the speed limit that could possibly save you from a ticket while the cop finds a reflective surface on your vehicle to retrieve a reading.
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

Not wearing pants. Array klutch's Avatar
    Bike
    Schwinn with tassles
    ...Or at least from a larger ticket. 10km/h can mean the difference between $189 and $489.

I picked up an X50 on ebay, 3 months old, for $140. Already tested it on a drive down south, and it worked great. Once you're out of the city, they're worth their weight in gold...highway patrol are all using dash mounted radar if they're looking for speeders; odds are you'll even pick up the sneaky bastards that pace people as they 'splash' people to get an accurate reading. A detector and some common sense will save you a lot of cash and points.

Registered User Array Scorpion71's Avatar
    Bike
    2009 KLR685,FZ6S
    Interestingly enough one of our fellow BCSBer's was given the chance to do a ride along program, they said that on the ride along they setup a lidar speed trap and they were allowed to try and tag people, they said it was pretty difficult to get a reading on a motorcycle due to such a small target, the closer it got the easier it became, so hearing this I figure my X50 would pickup the stray lidar in enough time for me to be able to slow down before they get a decent enough fix, assuming of course that they are going to try and tag you from a distance, if they wait long enough before trying to tag you, you could get caught with your pants down.
    I'm just telling it like I see it !

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattoodles View Post
    If your detector warns you of Lidar, it means that the cop is trying to get his aim on your front license plate or if on your bike, probably your headlight.
    Probably the windscreen. Swerve as soon as it chirps and you might be ok.

Bike
    Honda. Still. Again.
    Probably the windscreen. Swerve as soon as it chirps and you might be ok.
    Negative.
    Have a little experience with the type of laser used in BC. By the time you have the warning in your helmet, the deed is done and they have a "fix."
    If fortunate, you might get some light "scatter," from the vehicle or vehcles ahead of you, but if the officer is fixed on you......