BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

motorcycle radar detectors

41K views 226 replies 40 participants last post by  oldgixxer 
#1 ·
i'm wondering if anyone is using any kind of radar detectors on their motorcycles? if so, what kind/price and effectiveness, and if you have a picture that would be great as well.

#156 ·
This is one lively discussion for sure.......

Jon, you have a tall enough windscreen that I would just go with Marc Parnes LED alert, its cheap, and works. When my H.A.R.D. system shits the bed, I may do the same. The other thing I thought of was getting those flexible adhesive LED light strips that you see in hardware stores, and fixing it to the trailing edge (facing rider) of my windscreen, so you end up having like a foot of flashing LED's. But, as with most things electrical, I get confused easily with Ohms and all that shit.

#157 ·
The problem with the Marc Parnes for the Uniden is that you need to wire it directly to the speaker (tampering necessary) and that it's only a 4 light unit for the Unidens - http://www.marcparnes.com/Visual_Alert.htm. If this is the case, I may as well just buy the visual alert that TPX offers https://adaptivtech.com/products/tpx-visual-alert.

I still think that audio alerts are key so as to not disrupt the visual awareness necessary for riding. Found a Sena SR10 knock-off, don't know if I'll make the splurge to guinea pig this: MODI on Alibaba and MODI description.

#159 ·
I'm telling yah for the price of a pair of Bluetooth earbuds I'd recommend trying that route unless you absolutely need plugs and want a visual display or audio through your speakers. With my setup there is no lag, no 'dimming' of the audio. It's completely separate from the comms and music, and right in my ears. The volume adjustment on my r1 adjusts the input. So with the detector volume turned up it's heard easily over music or comms. No more hassle than putting in earplugs and as I mentioned I've found it to muffle the wind/road noise just enough/right for me that I'm enjoying the audio of the cardo more than when I wore foam plugs. Ymmv.*

#160 ·
Having logged a good number of km now with my uniden r1 I thought I'd update.*

I run just on the stock city or highway settings and I've found them to be effective and accurate. I get no false alerts from civilian vehicle mounted radar systems (blind spot, adaptive cruise, etc, etc). I will get the odd stray k band alert from a few different spots. Businesses and whatnot. But I've also found the mute function to work easily/well. Once muted it doesn't keep unmuting for the same false alert. I could see the benefit now of having the gps chip equipped r3 now that I've run this awhile. I've got one spot on my Hwy6 commute that would be nice to 'mark' and eliminate a consistent false alert.*

Overall having come from an outdated detector, antique bel, I am very impressed with the performance. *It should be noted I don't live in a city and the largest city I regularly pass through is quite small, Vernon. So ymmv if you live in a metropolis.*

#162 ·
I know I should I guess I've just been worried about whether that list is right up to date? *Do radar bands/frequencies ever get changed up. I'd hate to turn off a band that for some reason actually is being used. If it's a sure thing I'll try it out. Also I've been radared a couple of times now 100% for certain by the police on k band. Maybe my area has older units or something? *But I'm reluctant to turn that sensitivity down.*

#166 · (Edited)
I think Danke was joking, as was I about employing my antique detector too.*

But I wasn't joking about the k band hits I saw last week. Same patrol car passed twice on Hwy 6 okanagan.*

When I first heard k band hitting through my earbuds I thought weird spot for stray k, as I travel this section daily. Then it ramped right up and I came around the corner and there he was. I was doing a quick run into town and on my way back. The exact same thing. K band.

#167 ·
I'll quit being lazy and program up my detector though to try it out. If I'm correct in my thinking the programmed settings will only affect my advanced setting and not the factory city/highway settings. So I still have the option to just run as I have been. Today my wife and I are going down to Kelowna for a couple of things that luckily are small enough to fit in my saddlebags. So I'll be trying the detector out in a bigger city and then Westside Rd for the journey home m:rockon. The only good part about going to Kelowna for me lol.*

Disclaimer. For any law enforcement combing this thread. I don't speed ever, I'm just interested in radar enforcement. *

#169 ·
Lots of freaking goats on Westside. Most I've seen. Group of them on the outside of a sharp corner scared the crap outta me. Made me gun-shy the rest of the ride. Buggers.

If I ever disappear from the forum I've probably smoked a deer, bear, goat, horse, or a ffnn testicle truck on my side of the corner. Buggers.

#173 ·
Thanks for the link. Interesting info.*

So to kick the bees nest. Laser jammers are legal.....or illegal? *In BC?

I had a laser alert today near oyama when I was just pulling back on the highway to catch my wife who I had pulled over and waited for. I was in 1st gear WOT so was 'safe' but then on the big hill from oyama over to Winfield moments later I was lit up with ka band hard. Which would've seemed like instant on I would think? *But with both alerts I visually didn't see anyone. This was with the advanced setting after I customized it this morning to the specs in the link from kmph/ca.*

#170 ·
Funny you should say that. And not to be cantankerous but they're sheep. Not goats.:canadian

* * * * * Tree

We also saw a bear cub, super light cinnamon. You'd have swore it was a grizzly cub besides where we were at. My wife wanted to pull over and snap a photo but where there's a cub you know there's a momma around not far off so I kept us moving.

* Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

Took a break down by the creek. It was a nice ride but I can't ever see really opening it up on Westside rd the way it's populated now. Cottages/homes and people all over the place. *

#180 · (Edited)
:laughing

yup.. you can rotate them in your phone until they look right on your desktop. saved and uploaded again..

But I wasn't joking about the k band hits I saw last week. Same patrol car passed twice on Hwy 6 okanagan.*

i thought there was no k band use in BC either but i've spotted it once this season.
Guess Chia is correct above, rare but maybe not dead.

EDIT/update: i can confirm there is both K and Ka band in use here in BC.. got lit up on both last weekend.

riding in the immediate interior out to Revelstoke..

quick search on Ka band reveals:

Radar guns used by traffic police often switch between X, K and Ka bands, yet they often stay longer with the Ka band. Since false alerts are rare in the case of Ka bands and alerts on it are slightly more delayed, make sure you slow down right away when you see or hear an alert detecting it.Apr 10, 2019

#172 ·
I had to holler at my wife and another lady who pulled over. They were set to walk right up to those goats...errr I mean sheep and pet them or something. Two of them stood up and started looking a little nervous. I was shaking my head, no matter how bullheaded you are you aren't gonna win that battle.*

#175 ·
Interesting. So that radar forum has it wrong then? *They claim they are not illegal in bc, Alberta, and Saskatchewan?

Just curious really. I'm not looking to put together a radar/laser setup worth as much as my bike. Lol.

I didn't know that about the false laser alerts. That's the first one I've had so far. *

#176 · (Edited)
Laser jammers are illegal to use, not to possess. Lasers also now show specific error codes that display when their signal is being manipulated, aka "jammed". So you are now escalating things far beyond a speeding ticket into a criminal charge of Obstruction of a Peace Officer.

I had one show up in a Supercharged Camaro convertible. The car was held in impound for about 2 months as a search warrant was written, approved and served. Then the car was taken apart, jammer found, seized and charges forwarded. Quite a nice set-up. Completely built in and well hidden, display integrated into the dash, turned on as soon as the car was started. It took quite a bit of dis-assembly to locate all the pieces. I found out from the install shop it was about a $5000.00 bit of kit. The registered owner and driver then had to work out paying for storage fees and arrange pickup.

Just stick with the detector, it's a lot less inconvenience.

#179 ·
:thumbup

Westside rd the way it's populated now. Cottages/homes and people all over the place. *
i kind of figured this would be the case going forward... been up there a couple of times last season and i was pretty impressed with

all the new fancy "accomodations".. it will be its own little town soon enough.. it was busy yes

#182 ·
Two of those sheep in my photo were smack dab in my lane when I came upon them. I had to go in the oncoming lane to get by them. I was worried the buggers might have a go at me. Westside Rd is not nearly as fun as Hwy 6 to me, but if I have to go to Kelowna it beats the hell out of hwy97.

I think the false laser that i got Thursday(and the one I got today on my commute home on Hwy 6) are the illegal laser jammers. I had a car let me by right before a couple of real nice corners so I laid into it some and as I came around the first big sweeper I got lit up hard by laser and the only thing coming my way or around was a sport touring bike and as I was practicing emergency braking while cornering I swear he was the one. The signal ended as if it was coming from him. *

So how are people rolling around with these illegal setups? * And not getting busted and thrown in the slammer?

I'm not a fan of laser jammers at all now that I'm potentially getting lit up by them. *

#183 ·
So how are people rolling around with these illegal setups? * And not getting busted and thrown in the slammer?

I'm not a fan of laser jammers at all now that I'm potentially getting lit up by them. *
LOLOL

Same way people do the myriad of illegal things without getting caught ..... it doesn't happen until they run across the wrong cop. But they aren't very common. I've run across two in 10 years. Most people have enough functioning brain cells to avoid doing something that stupid.

#186 ·
Hit up Westside Rd again yesterday. No wildlife and very little traffic. Seems Monday is a good day for it. The section with the lumpy/sunken pavement can be a handful. I will say second time thru in a matter of days and with the quietness of it I enjoyed it a lot more. A few fine spots on that road for sure.*

#187 ·
Saw a rare sight last weekend. Motorcycle cop between Osoyoos and Rock Creek. I had gotten the cop signal from another biker so was expectant. My R1 might have given me 1/2 klick warning. He didn't wave I didn't wave. They can ticket you for removing hand from steering if I remember right although the local guy waves. Never saw a police bike so far out of town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.