motorcycle radar detectors - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: motorcycle radar detectors

Bike
    ZX-10R
    Enforcement between Osoyoos and Rock Creek? Aye aye aye, that's a sad day. I travel Highway 3 to Christina Lake 8 -10 x a year and I have never seen a single officer in the last five years on that stretch. Based on my observations, the Osoyoos detachment stays in town and the Midway detachment I don't see, period.

The only place I've ever seen specific speed enforcement between Osoyoos and Grand Forks is in Greenwood, enforcing the 50 or 60 zone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    Quote Originally Posted by 41OVER! View Post
    The only place I've ever seen specific speed enforcement between Osoyoos and Grand Forks is in Greenwood, enforcing the 50 or 60 zone.
    ...which is fair enough. don't speed in towns, simple. that's what 'remote' highways are for!
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    Honda
    Enforcement between Osoyoos and Rock Creek? Aye aye aye, that's a sad day. I travel Highway 3 to Christina Lake 8 -10 x a year and I have never seen a single officer in the last five years on that stretch. Based on my observations, the Osoyoos detachment stays in town and the Midway detachment I don't see, period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBs21CFBALI
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    RC
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    ...which is fair enough. don't speed in towns, simple. that's what 'remote' highways are for!
    And that is where they really grab those low hanging fruit.

We all know the ones; red and white plates from a bit to the East that do 40kph when there's a curve in the road and then jack it back up to 140 when they see a big downhill just before Bugtussle.
    Fill the house with bees.

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    Big thanks to CDG for the great conversations around this topic as well as the use of his many different lengthed, shaped, clamped, and screwed world of the RAM BALLs .

The hardware:

i) 2xBT dongles with transmitting and receiving capabilities. Must be with low latency ie: https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bl.../dp/B01EHSX28M
    ii) Uniden R1, latest firmware, settings slightly modified from KMPH recommendations as mentioned earlier in this thread.
    iii) Ram mounts of assorted types
    iv) Cardo Packtalk
    v) In-ear safety headphones
    vi) In-helmet speakers that came with the Cardo Packtalk

The setup:

On the bike, Uniden R1 connected via 3.5mm jack to BT dongle #1 (BT1) acting as a transmitter. Transmitter is velcro'd to the top of the radar, and the radar is velcro'd to the ram mount plate. RD is hardwired and has a couple of usb micro cables adjoining the stalk for charging of cardo/BT dongles.

On the helmet, Cardo Packtalk is adhesive mounted and will be connected via 3.5mm jack to safety headphones. In-helmet speakers are placed in speaker cavities and connected to the BT dongle #2 (BT2) that is velcro'd to the back of the helmet.

Full Cardo communication is maintained as well as the ability to enjoy music/podcast/whatever at a reasonable volume. Audio alerts from the detector are maintained and one is alerted without having to withdraw visual focus. The detector is mounted on the left side, high and forward, between the visual field height of the mirrors and gauges. It can be reached as well without redirection of visual focus as it is in the lower peripheral field of view.

Speakers are loud enough that others can oftentimes hear the alerts over my Cardo transmissions (via my mic). Thanks to Squisher, I modified your idea with the BT headphones.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Nice! *What I like about my reverse setup having the Bluetooth dongle to earbuds and cardo to stock speakers in the helmet is I can hear radar alerts at any speed. That might be the same with your setup but at high speeds I find the cardo speakers lacking like I can't(wouldn't be having a conversation anyways) hear the cardo much at all but the radar bluetoothed to earbuds is loud and clear no matter what the speed.*

Regardless I too have appreciated everyone's input and help with this. Definetly has been worthwhile for me to suss out a system that works well for me. It's a bit to setup and look after/charge. But I've made a point of always using it/setting it up and it's become second nature. *

Bike
    RC
    Is the GRC (Grid Road Cops) running a new laser protocol? Rolling laser?

Starting just today a ton of laser alerts. Like more than K or X band combined with some KA too but none of the typical side of the road setups with the tripod and a few units.
    Fill the house with bees.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    My detector was making a new noise whilst gassing up and a rcmp suv went by. Thought it odd.

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Is the GRC (Grid Road Cops) running a new laser protocol? Rolling laser?

Starting just today a ton of laser alerts. Like more than K or X band combined with some KA too but none of the typical side of the road setups with the tripod and a few units.
    I've noticed a lot more on my V1. Seems that some of the newer vehicles are now using LIDAR as their collision warning system, and it's setting off the detectors. I haven't looked into which brands are doing it though.
    WMRC & PCMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    Burnaby Kawasaki

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid

They are out there. Came around a bend on 33 somewhat west of Beaverdell on Saturday to be bombarded by instant on radar. He wasn't interested in me.

I suspect my R1 is a POS. I'm almost on top of those construction zone radars before mine trips. Still haven't tested it at a real radar trap. Yes I have the latest update.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
    They are out there. Came around a bend on 33 somewhat west of Beaverdell on Saturday to be bombarded by instant on radar. He wasn't interested in me.

I suspect my R1 is a POS. I'm almost on top of those construction zone radars before mine trips. Still haven't tested it at a real radar trap. Yes I have the latest update.
    Have you played with the setup? Mine is great, I have incredible range for the most part. Sometimes too much sensitivity to be honest.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Same as I've found with mine. The range/sensitivity continues to blow me away. I find it an invaluable tool to have onboard now.*

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    I'll take sensitivity and range over the risk of missing an alert any day. It's just a "Beep" or a "Flash" anyways. Nothing wrong with rolling off the throttle and touching the brake just to be on the safe side. It's not like any of these rides are a time trial.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    I'll take sensitivity and range over the risk of missing an alert any day. It's just a "Beep" or a "Flash" anyways. Nothing wrong with rolling off the throttle and touching the brake just to be on the safe side. It's not like any of these rides are a time trial.
    This. We typically ride in challenging terrain for radars, but having the 'blip' provides situational awareness. I went for a toot up to Squambucks yesterday and caught a Ka 'blip' around a corner. 3 corners later, I get a Ka ramp-up to full blast as the LEO was hidden in a rest area behind a tractor trailer - sneaky sneaky.

oldgixxer, if you haven't come across them yet, the settings you would want are here: https://www.kmph.ca/blogs/radar-dete...ettings-canada and here:https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/58040/

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    Quote Originally Posted by TMR View Post
    This. We typically ride in challenging terrain for radars, but having the 'blip' provides situational awareness. I went for a toot up to Squambucks yesterday and caught a Ka 'blip' around a corner. 3 corners later, I get a Ka ramp-up to full blast as the LEO was hidden in a rest area behind a tractor trailer - sneaky sneaky.

oldgixxer, if you haven't come across them yet, the settings you would want are here: https://www.kmph.ca/blogs/radar-dete...ettings-canada and here:https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/58040/
    Thanks TMR. I've got it setup with the kmph settings. Not sure why they recommend 60 - 70 % for K filtering. I'll look at the other links for options.

I'm severely unimpressed. No warranty in Canada that I can see. USA will not accept Canada units for repair. Usb plug on cigarette adapter doesn't work either.

I'm looking for something else now. Pop another 500 bucks on something else is a piss off. Thankfully I've never trusted the unit or it could have cost me a lot more.