motorcycle radar detectors - Page 11
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: motorcycle radar detectors

Quote Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
    Ya, most cagers are hoping we get busted. I warn everyone. Flash my high beams and do the whirly thing with my arm, emulating the old revolving red lights they had in the 50s. Seems the youngsters don't get it though. Guess I'll have to get with the times.

Had a guy give me a fist to open hand signal. I didn't have high beams on or a signal light. No idea what that was about.
    Was most likely open hand to fist, meaning Five-O, ie pigs ahead.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackal'sReturn View Post
    Was most likely open hand to fist, meaning Five-O, ie pigs ahead.
    Ahhh...that makes sense. Didn't see any cops. Maybe he was off duty cop. They ride too.

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    I finally picked up an R1 and am deciding on options for notifications. The BT transmitter route seems to be the way to go so far, but I'd hate to lose the ability to listen to music while in a DMC intercom session. The Sena SR10 opens up an HFP connection but it's also pricey for what it is. Given that I feel an audio alert is superior and coupled with the fact that HFP alerts supersede those of A2DP (music from your phone, transmits from a BT transmitter device like the mpow) I've thought about incorporating a different solution instead: Motorola MU350R Bluetooth 2-way radio

So it'll go like this theoretically: Radar wired to > MU350R bluetooth to > cardo headset; cardo headset is also paired with phone via one of the 2 a2dp connections. Just need to figure out if there is an accessory 3.5mm to 2 wire that will activate the radio without physically pressing the PTT button. Anyone have any experience with this?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Interesting. I'll be curious to hear how it works out for you. I'm still using the Bluetooth earbuds and think I'll stick that route. I find it provides just enough muffling of the road/bike so that I'm not wanting for earplugs. Music I'm hearing fine, better than with earplugs in and basically zero chance of missing an alert as it's directly in my ears.

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    My setup using the audio module from my V1 to the audio in on my Garmin 595 (paired with bluetooth to my Cardo Packtalk), did not end up working.
    I also have a HAARD display, and a bluetooth dongle, so i'll try those options this weekend.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    This is one lively discussion for sure.......

Jon, you have a tall enough windscreen that I would just go with Marc Parnes LED alert, its cheap, and works. When my H.A.R.D. system shits the bed, I may do the same. The other thing I thought of was getting those flexible adhesive LED light strips that you see in hardware stores, and fixing it to the trailing edge (facing rider) of my windscreen, so you end up having like a foot of flashing LED's. But, as with most things electrical, I get confused easily with Ohms and all that shit.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    The problem with the Marc Parnes for the Uniden is that you need to wire it directly to the speaker (tampering necessary) and that it's only a 4 light unit for the Unidens - http://www.marcparnes.com/Visual_Alert.htm. If this is the case, I may as well just buy the visual alert that TPX offers https://adaptivtech.com/products/tpx-visual-alert.

I still think that audio alerts are key so as to not disrupt the visual awareness necessary for riding. Found a Sena SR10 knock-off, don't know if I'll make the splurge to guinea pig this: MODI on Alibaba and MODI description.

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    This is one lively discussion for sure.......

Jon, you have a tall enough windscreen that I would just go with Marc Parnes LED alert, its cheap, and works. When my H.A.R.D. system shits the bed, I may do the same. The other thing I thought of was getting those flexible adhesive LED light strips that you see in hardware stores, and fixing it to the trailing edge (facing rider) of my windscreen, so you end up having like a foot of flashing LED's. But, as with most things electrical, I get confused easily with Ohms and all that shit.
    i need more coffee, thats what i have, not the H.A.R.D. one.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    I'm telling yah for the price of a pair of Bluetooth earbuds I'd recommend trying that route unless you absolutely need plugs and want a visual display or audio through your speakers. With my setup there is no lag, no 'dimming' of the audio. It's completely separate from the comms and music, and right in my ears. The volume adjustment on my r1 adjusts the input. So with the detector volume turned up it's heard easily over music or comms. No more hassle than putting in earplugs and as I mentioned I've found it to muffle the wind/road noise just enough/right for me that I'm enjoying the audio of the cardo more than when I wore foam plugs. Ymmv.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Having logged a good number of km now with my uniden r1 I thought I'd update.*

I run just on the stock city or highway settings and I've found them to be effective and accurate. I get no false alerts from civilian vehicle mounted radar systems (blind spot, adaptive cruise, etc, etc). I will get the odd stray k band alert from a few different spots. Businesses and whatnot. But I've also found the mute function to work easily/well. Once muted it doesn't keep unmuting for the same false alert. I could see the benefit now of having the gps chip equipped r3 now that I've run this awhile. I've got one spot on my Hwy6 commute that would be nice to 'mark' and eliminate a consistent false alert.*

Overall having come from an outdated detector, antique bel, I am very impressed with the performance. *It should be noted I don't live in a city and the largest city I regularly pass through is quite small, Vernon. So ymmv if you live in a metropolis.*

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    Having logged a good number of km now with my uniden r1 I thought I'd update.*

I run just on the stock city or highway settings and I've found them to be effective and accurate. I get no false alerts from civilian vehicle mounted radar systems (blind spot, adaptive cruise, etc, etc). I will get the odd stray k band alert from a few different spots. Businesses and whatnot. But I've also found the mute function to work easily/well. Once muted it doesn't keep unmuting for the same false alert. I could see the benefit now of having the gps chip equipped r3 now that I've run this awhile. I've got one spot on my Hwy6 commute that would be nice to 'mark' and eliminate a consistent false alert.*

Overall having come from an outdated detector, antique bel, I am very impressed with the performance. *It should be noted I don't live in a city and the largest city I regularly pass through is quite small, Vernon. So ymmv if you live in a metropolis.*
    You should be programming your detector to get the most out of it. Otherwise it will scan frequencies that are otherwise not used, increasing latency and so you won't be able to take advantage of the sensitivity of your setup. This is a good start for programming here: https://www.kmph.ca/blogs/radar-dete...ettings-canada

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    I know I should I guess I've just been worried about whether that list is right up to date? *Do radar bands/frequencies ever get changed up. I'd hate to turn off a band that for some reason actually is being used. If it's a sure thing I'll try it out. Also I've been radared a couple of times now 100% for certain by the police on k band. Maybe my area has older units or something? *But I'm reluctant to turn that sensitivity down.*

Bike
    RC
    I think there's still at least on RCMP unit still running X band.
    Fill the house with bees.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Maybe I should keep running the old bel unit too then?

Bike
    ZX14
    Have never gotten X band in BC myself, turned off years ago.

K is rare here if at all, but does show up in WA on beyond.

Last edited by CHIA; 07-11-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **