DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    ZX14
    So much picture fail, lol

Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    I appreciate the input. For some reason or other I can't see the pics. They are just a little square blank box for me? *. And what? Heads up display? I really feel like I need to see these pics somehow?

I guess I like the idea of the wired led light. I was thinking of mounting that to the top of my windscreen thinking it would be highly visible. And that if that didn't work then I'd go the hard route. I also do like that it looks a little less radar detectory than most but that doesn't really hold much weight for me really. A highly visible obvious radar detector just seems like more likely of a ticket vs a warning to me. But meh, who really knows.*

Also am a little unsure of the Bluetooth connectivity. When I read back it left me with the impression that every time my radar went off through my cardo that it would become the priority Bluetooth source and my music would stop? *That seems like it would grow old fast. *And lastly I'm a little bit concerned on my technical ability to get it all working smoothly. I mounted and balanced my own new tires last week in record time but I've been sorting out the basics of my packtalks for weeks it seems. But I'm confident I would persevere eventually. Lag and disruption of music are my main concerns.*

I am open to all info/suggestions the tpx just seemed like the simplest plug and play setup to me. Keeping it completely separate from my cardo. Like most things I'll research and research and research a little more before actually pulling the pin though. Lol. *
    I used the wired LED for several years, the Marc Parnes one......works well but only on the right bikes with tall
    enough windscreens that the light is literally almost ALWAYS in your vision. And even at that, you lose it sight
    when you're in turns or looking around.

The best alert system is the one that warns you no matter what the situation, so the Hard system or the
    audio through headset which I use now.

If you are going to spend the money and time to set up a detector on your bike, you better damn well make sure
    you can get the alerts 100% of the time.

I also agree with CoolDaddy's suggestion on widening your scope to best detector, not just the 1 model made more
    for bikes......just my opinion and I've now owned 4 detectors over the years on my bikes.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    I will say that with my detector mounted off my left mirror, versus behind the windscreen like others, I continue to pick up a signal long after passing the source, which is why I like it off to one side. Makes me believe that if a rolling source was coming up behind us, that I would detect it first.

Best mount is still the magnetic mount from RAM, and a velcro strap over top just for piece of mind, even though you would have to crash to unseat the detector from the magnetic mount. Here is my setup, ignore all the other shit (its the sending unit for my heads up display)
    i have my detector on the handlebar (Raider) and off to one side as well. it covers my arse from oncoming signals and also those sneaking up behind.

i noticed the same thing this weekend, signal kept being picked up and pinging me even after the source sped on by the other way, for a long while too.

i use the Magnetic mount via RAM. i have used a Velcro strap in the past, have not done so for a couple months
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    A lot of good advice here. I appreciate the discussion.*

I'm doing more research and seeing that there are a few more highly rated detectors that I should be considering like the v1 and the r1/r3. If there's any other suggestions people have on long range detectors I'd be curious to hear too? *Also any sales anyone is aware of?

Depressingly I did a quick look around the classifieds and missed a local 2018 v1 going cheap by hours. But classifieds are always a crap shoot anyways. But I sure do like a deal. I should've just sprung for the r1 back this winter when OldGixxer I think it was got his. *

Seems the ram magnetic mount will be the way to go. I'll be looking my bike over closely for how the best way to mount that will be. If mounting it outside the fairing to like a mirror bolt area, no one has any wind/vibration issues with this setup at higher speeds?

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Nope, it doesn't budge or vibrate even at 200+. The only thing you want to be mindful of is (well 2 things) is rain (remember to remove and tuck away your detector.....who speeds when its pouring anyways) and two: if you are mounting it outboard, find some 3M clear film and cover the front of the detector just to protect it from bugs, sand, rocks, and give it a good wipe after a ride.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Ok cool. Obviously a film like that doesn't impair the performance at all. Good to know.*

I was looking and I think a similar setup mount could work on my f4i. Also seems it would be very visible but my goal now is to have it Bluetooth through my packtalk.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    I ordered up a ram mount and all my wiring bits so far. I figure I'll get that all sorted and can always throw my old detector on there for some test runs until I drop the coin on a new one(I got the extra magnetic stickys with the mount), or find a good deal on a used model. But I'm really thinking the uniden r3 is the model to get(today I think that lol) I'm going to setup inside/behind the windscreen for now(stem mount), and the beauty of the ram mount is if I want to move it outside to the mirror bolts I can pretty simply with another $10 piece and a stem mount will be handy for a gps still. I like the idea of keeping it out of sight. Figure if I get yanked over gloves will easily cover it up for the roadside meet and greet.

Taking the opportunity to wire up for a cigarette charger, USB, plus two extra sae connections for future heated clothing or something of the like. All as individual bits so I can tuck it all away, nothing on the clip ons/bars. Figure the cig charger for the radar and the usb can keep charged a Bluetooth thingy to connect with the cardo. Or charge the cardo, phone, whatever when out and about too
    Last edited by Squisher; 06-06-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    The agonizing is over. I ordered a reconditioned uniden r1 from visions. They are on sale until the 13th at a very attractive price. The r1 has the same sensitivity/detection as the r3 but no gps so loses all those functions.*

just need to order a dongle Bluetooth and should have this all sorted I hope. *

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    I like the idea of keeping it out of sight. Figure if I get yanked over gloves will easily cover it up for the roadside meet and greet.
    Why? No need. They are not illegal to use. I've run a detector for 15 years and pulled over more times than I can count. Not one officer has even commented on it
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    I know they're not illegal and I too have had a radar for a couple decades in a vehicle. I do believe it hinders the possibility of getting off easy if it's visible/seen by an officer. Having it sitting out in plain view IMO is kind of like saying to the cop, yah I speed, to which I can't help but think their reply is, yah I hand out speeding tickets.

In my research I came across a lot of questions and anecdotal comments about no measurable loss for radar through a tinted plastic screen. Laser detection it could possibly hamper I read But it also seemed that the lidar laser that's used in bc is pretty well full proof unless you jam it, which isn't legal.*

I will do my own experiments with it with radar to see if there is any loss. If there is no great advantage to having it outside of the windscreen I'd prefer it inside just for protection and cleanliness of the lines of the bike. But if the performance suffers. Out it will go. *

Bike
    Ninja1k
    The agonizing is over. I ordered a reconditioned uniden r1 from visions. They are on sale until the 13th at a very attractive price. The r1 has the same sensitivity/detection as the r3 but no gps so loses all those functions.*

just need to order a dongle Bluetooth and should have this all sorted I hope. *
    Id be curious what you find for bluetooth. I find it very hard to find a transmitter small enough and with the right jack to fit my whistler. It only has a 2.5mm audio jack and a mini usb port.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    I ordered the mpow that Chia linked(I think in the cardo/packtalk thread), but Amazon directed me to a newer version. Which looks the same. Chia and others have mentioned the mpows plugged right in. And in Chia's pics it's a uniden detector pictured so I'm feeling pretty confident it'll fit.*

i will report back and update as the gear rolls in on the functionality of what I put together.
    Last edited by Squisher; 06-08-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Bike
    ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by Talonz View Post
    Id be curious what you find for bluetooth. I find it very hard to find a transmitter small enough and with the right jack to fit my whistler. It only has a 2.5mm audio jack and a mini usb port.
    *Standard size headphone jack on the Uniden and my previous X50 and many others is 3.5 mm *

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Quote Originally Posted by Talonz View Post
    you can buy short 2.5mm to 3.5mm patch cords.