BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

upgrade recommendations

39K views 112 replies 18 participants last post by  Squisher 
#1 ·
Well I mentioned in my other thread about wanting to upgrade. And well........I want to upgrade from my r3. Some background if anyone has missed it. I have ridden off and on throughout my life, dirt bikes for decades and a gs750 on the street. I've put a bit of seat time on a gsxr750 that wasn't mine but besides that my little r3 has been my main staple for the last year. Pushing 7k on it now in that year of mostly all twisty riding. I've commuted with it to work exactly once only.

Its been a great bike, real confidence booster. When I ride it lately though I'm really finding it lacking in acceleration and braking.

My whole love of riding is pretty much based around sport riding. I research and then I practice, research, practice, and on and on and on. My quest for ability and performance has lead me to lose 25lbs in this last year and I certainly wasn't obese before hand. Another ten and I'll weigh what I did at 18 at my current age of 43.

Just adding all that stuff to paint as clear a picture as possible as to where I'm at.

Im really sold on upgrading to a four cylinder 600 sport bike but also like to do some longer rides so the only bike I keep coming back to is a cbr f4i. A bit older then I was really wanting but I don't know of any newer bikes that are true sport bikes that offer a slightly relaxed stance while still being sport oriented and not having outrageous horsepower. Also not interested in something with substantially less horsepower than say the cbr mentioned.

So what other bikes should i be considering? Suggestions? Ridicule? Bring it.

See less See more
#62 ·
I appreciate the input. Confirms my suspicion to stay focused on a 2011+. I'm only 5'9" so possibly it'll fit me a bit better. I am concerned a tiny bit about the riding position, but not to much really. While the wife and I want to do more and more touring trips as we can I believe I may have another handful or two of years of doing those small trips on a full sportbike. At this point I probably won't do anything until spring as I'd have to ride one at this point I think before pulling the pin. And I like to really consider things before making a commitment. The 2011+ gsxr750 seems to tick all the boxes for me though. Light, powerful, lowerish insurance class, bulletproof. *I like the looks of it too as I've read a bunch that like many bikes it's a bit polarizing in the aesthetics department.*

I'm in no real way unhappy with the f4i and if I put another season on it so be it. But as I was before with my r3 I'm finding it lacking a bit in performance(yes I do feel stupid typing that, the bike does rip pretty good). So I'm at a bit of a crossroads of spending some money on brakes, gearing change, and suspension freshen up to get a little bit more performance out of the f4i or just cutting it loose and getting into something like the newer Gsxr 750.*

I've seen new they have a suggested retail of 13,199. But then I see Blackfoot in Calgary is selling 2019's for 9,999, $3200 discount. I'm assuming that's plus frt/pdi and doc fees which would tack on a chunk but still somewhat tempting over the $6000-$8500 or so I'm seeing for 2011-2017 used bikes. *I'll probably wait and see what the spring brings though.

#63 ·
Oldgixxer. I had been reading back through this thread and had seen the suggestions of a gsxr too.*

I have no regrets on the f4i, but you were probably right.

When I've got some cash in hand and serious to lay it down I'll shoot you a pm if you're serious about possibly selling. You've got a 2016 gsxr750 if I'm reading your post right? *As mentioned I probably won't do anything until the spring, so I can torture myself all winter with the decision. I've also got another bike this year already that I'm restoring in my shop. A older 82 gs1100e. So I need to let the dust settle on that with the wife a bit still too. That's just going to be a collector plate Sunday cruiser thing though. Something to keep me out of the pool hall over the winter. *

#64 ·
Blackfoot probably wants $1000 for freight, pdi, and docs. Thats what the lower mainland guys do. If not, its one hellava good deal! Not a bad deal at $11k either. Check with Kory at Valley Motosports in Kelowna. You might score a similar deal if they have one leftover.

Mine is a 16 but I couldn't compete with a brand new one for 10k.

Happy shopping. I'm heading out for a burn. Insurance ends tomorrow. I normally get a lot of riding in over Sept, Oct, and even into Nov. This has been the wettest, coldest fall since I've been here.

#65 ·
hey Squisher, just a thought, but if you're gonna step up a notch, pass the F4i along to your wife. if you guys are touring together, she'll find that a LOT easier to hustle along with you, than wringing the balls off a little 300. happy wife; happy life!

#66 ·
I would think that would be a good plan too. But my wife won't go for it. She's ridden the f4i only once and she didn't really like it. She very much prefers her bike, size and looks wise to the f4i. Her confidence and cornering ability has really improved over the last year and she is very focused on improving her riding skills and doesn't want to step up to a bike that may make her feel less confident. We are talking/looking at a ninja 400 for her at this point. But we will see what the spring brings. I'd like her to try the f4i out a few more times before deciding. A lot of our riding is local/commuting and I know she really enjoys the lightweight bike for that. We are pushing 40,000km on the 300 now and the f4i is at 47,000km. Both run flawlessly but may be time to upgrade both before we rack to many more km and tank their value. I still flip flop on keeping the f4ifor myself or not. it could only be a handful of years or so until I want something more sport/touring oriented. I've already been on the fence a bit about making that leap right now to like a fz1 or mt10 or a ninja1k etc, etc. But I just don't think I'm ready to move from a full sportsbike. The funniest time I have riding is while really hitting the twisties hard(for me) and at those times I feel I could use a more aggressive bike than the f4i.*

Decisions, decisions. I may just have to do a bunch of test riding in the spring I think. It's funny to me how there's so many different motorcycles out there, yet the 'perfect' bike for each individual is so hard to find/have. If I had my way with things I'd probably end up with a ridiculous number of bikes. One for each day of the week atleast! *

#67 ·
the high mileage on both those bikes make it a challenge yes.. for what its worth i think less experienced riders get caught up on
low cc numbers a little too much.. Some bikes literally have 'confidence' built into 'em; even if its a larger displacement bike you
will often find they are actually much easier to ride.

the problem with small bikes as you see, is you dont want to get stuck on one, but taking baby steps to 'the top' may not always
be the best course of action. Once you've had a go around the block or two things may improve, confidence wise even if she
doesnt think thats the case at this point.

you mention the more upright rides as well, i would say there is something to be gained from seasoned riders experience, and it directly
relates to these bikes. A lot of us have found there is a fine limit to how much torture you can take when riding sportier bikes
which is purely related to where the fun stuff is for us local riders, meaning you'll often find you need to do a fair bit of slabbing
just to get to the twisties. The MT10 would be high on my list if i were 'just' coming up through the ranks. :D

#68 ·
The big nakeds are sweet looking. Sadly, unless you can mount a windscreen on them, hanging on at speed is a bitch. They are always detuned with less than stellar suspension. The new naked h2 might be the exception.

Even the more sit up sportbikes are usually crippled power and suspension wise.

If you want the best in handling and performance nothing beats a sportbike. I've owned a lot of different bikes in my quest for the perfect ride and I keep coming back to sportbikes. Everything else is fun for awhile and then they get boring.

I'm getting pretty old and the day will come when I have to retire to a burgman or a spider. Omg shoot me now.

#69 · (Edited)
The big nakeds are sweet looking. Sadly, unless you can mount a windscreen on them, hanging on at speed is a bitch.
there is that... a quick 10 minute check online quickly brings up PUIG touring screen efforts, doesnt look half bad.

when it comes to most bikes just about everything can be upgraded, hell most R1
owners go to town on suspension upgrades, and its the flagship sportbike for Yamaha.

i dont think the SP version of the MT-10 was released on Canada, but i'd be happy with this puppy.

2017 MT-10 SP , with a bunch of R1M goodies, inc. Öhlins Electronic Racing Suspension (ERS)..

https://www.mcnews.com.au/yamaha-mt-10-sp-gets-yzf-r1m-supersport-tech/

#70 ·
I'm going to go against the grain of recommendations - the gsxr750 is a great bike, but you can do better for a sporty street bike. Ninja 1000. Sporty enough. About on par with the gsxr750 power wise but way more torque and shorter gearing to make it more usable and fun on the street. More upright than the committed gsxr position but not so upright to be a parachute. We had 4x Ninja 1000's in our group of 7 at one point - they're that good. Try one.

#71 ·
I forgot about those. They seem to have fallen out of favour in recent years. They are a great compromise between pure super sport and sport tourer. Hardbag kit available. Never see used ones for sale in this area. People must be hanging on to them.

Local dealer usually brings in at least one. They are not a big seller and leftovers go cheap. I missed one for 10k a couple years back.

#72 ·
I had one for several years, great compromise bike. I did a lengthy tour through WA, OR, ID, MT and BC a few years back. Just a fantastic bike in so many ways. I'd get an aftermarket seat for it, other than that, you're good to go out of the box (apologies to the serious enthusiasts on the site)

Best day:

#76 ·
Lots of good recommendations and I'm not trying to knock on sport tourers or naked bikes.
But for me it'll be another supersport when I upgrade again. I'm almost certain of that.*
aye, as mentioned above its just the way things are headed for a lot of riders...
its nice to ride more relaxed bikes and actually have a look around once in a while

#79 ·
Well I've come full circle on this almost....

I'm going to have a look Monday at a fz1 2008. If it checks out I think that will be my next ride. It's the touring edition so factory full fairing and hard saddle bags , slightly taller windscreen. That's about it for differences I think. Only cons I've really read about them are the mileage and tank size. Supposed to be on the sportier side of the sport touring equation.*

So if any of you have owned one or have thoughts on them let me know. As we've established on here I'm a budget bike shopper so won't be dropping coin on a newer bike at this point in time I think. I really gravitate towards bikes that I see as a good value proposition for what they bring to the table like my f4i has been. I think the fz1 fits that bill too.

#80 · (Edited)
08 FZ1 had the 06 R1 engine if i'm not mistaken. heard lots of good things.

I wanted to get one but waited till the MT-10 was alive, unfortunately they neutered the fvck out
of the new engine in comparison to what the R1 CP4 can actually do.

i've lost touch with the older FZ1, so i cant say much in terms of reliability etc.

#81 ·
Well I've got a deposit on it to hold it until Wednesday when I can make it there. It's a dealer bike.

I've done a ton of research on them and they seem to be quite bulletproof. Only issues at all I could find were a super small percentage of cracked frames in 06-07 but none by '08. Was a manufacturing process error that Yamaha sorted. I believe it's the 04 r1 motor that's in it, now I don't know the series of r1 engines well enough to know if that's the same as 06 or not. But by all reports they are quite bulletproof and powerful. It's retuned for more low-midrange but still apparently a peaky motor.

Looks bone stock and they just described it as good condition and that they 'checked it over'. Wednesday I'll check it over myself. Lol. Kind of hung up on the test ride though. I mean it is a 12-13 year old bike, 30,000km. They said i could secure it with a deposit until I can test ride it, still pretty wintery here. But on any given day that's clear I could bundle up and spin it around a bit I think. In Kelowna maybe? *Where I'm at never. We have feet of snow around still and really crappy roads. *I think this will tick most of the boxes for me. *And if it doesn't I'll just get a different bike next year it would seem.

I may be trading my f4i but that seems unlikely. I believe I'll do better cash deal and selling my f4i privately. I'll see what numbers we come up with though.*

Here's a link to the actual bike:
**https://www.kelownayamaha.ca/defaul...g&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

#83 ·
That's correct, most info I've read refers to it as the 04 r1 engine. They are pushing about 150hp stock in the 2nd gen fz1(2006+). *Quite plugged up apparently with the ability for some significant gains with exhaust and tuning.*

*Tomorrow(which is today for me as I work graveyards) is the day. Hoping it checks out. I really like this colour and the touring edition of this bike.*

#85 ·
Wel it's a done deal now anyways.*

Turned out better than I'd hoped when I went to look at it. One owner bike sold new from Kelowna Yamaha and traded in there. Clean title and good maintenance history. Also $1700 dealer invoice of all maintenance just done to it. Plugs, filters, tires, fork seals, brake service, coolant swap. Basically everything that could possibly need to be looked at.

We came to an agreement of how any possible issues would be handled if present on the first couple rides of the season. So I felt confident buying this time of year.

Couple decent scratches on the saddlebags and a couple little scratches paint wear here and there but nothing alarming.

TMR I have no doubts from all my research that the ninja 1k is a fantastic bike and certainly a much more torquey ride than this fz. But coming from my f4i I believe I will be satisfied with the available torque and I'm used to having big top end which the fz is known for so I believe it will fit my riding style. I've also read that the gen 2 are superior handling to the gen1 with the aluminum twin spar frame supposedly offering much better stability for higher speed cornering.

Regardless it would seem part of the fun for me is trying different bikes/upgrading. So I'll just go with it and if the heart starts burning for some different ride in the future I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

#87 · (Edited)
Congratulations on the purchase.. solid bike i'm sure. I dont think i've ever heard a negative word on 'em.

thats something. You can use the insert image option , looks like a tree centered in
canvas just below the attachments button when using advanced mode.

its a pretty big image so i'll let you do it.

you can also just right click / copy the url, image address link you already shared.

insert between

i just tried it , works great.

#91 ·
well done. first NBD post of the year?

#93 ·
I'll admit I jumped on this early as I have been keeping my eye on the fz1 supply for awhile and had found the touring edition to espescially be a bit of a unicorn anywhere close to local to me. *The dealer pretty much had me at 'one owner sold by us and traded in to us' with clean title. Once we started going through the service history and then capped off by their last run through/maintaining of the bike it was sealed. I mean everything was done/looked at by them. Everything I mentioned before plus chain/sprockets and new tires too. *

Anyone interested in a well maintained f4i? *Lol. Gotta get it up for sale as one of the bosses stipulations. As well as I've been given a one year zero mods ban. I doubt that'll hold up though. :coffee

It's killing me a bit as I have to pick it up still. I've got to workout the logistics of getting it unloaded safely at home. My nice spot on my property where I usually load/unload is snowed right in. *I do have a flatbed trailer with a nice ramp I could use but it's probably a couple hrs of tractor work to get it plowed out and I've never transported a streetbike on a trailer before. Maybe I'll just ride it home if the day was nice? *

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.