BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I went away for 2-3 weeks recently and when I came back I tried to go for a ride and my starter wouldnt turn over. It went and went but wouldnt turn over. Then I kept trying and it just ended up dying down and not doing anything. The lights and all of that stuff still works...it just wont turn over.

Has this happened to you? what can I do to getr started again? or do I just have to buy a new battery. Ps. this battery is only about a year old.

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Your description is misleading I think.

When you say.....
It went and went but wouldnt turn over. Then I kept trying and it just ended up dying down and not doing anything.
...that sounds like the starter (the electric motor part) itself was cranking OK but the engine just wouldn't catch and run. Is this more accurate? And from all the starter cranking you ran down your battery.

OK, silly question.... Go check the kill switch just over the starter button. Is it in the "ON" position or did someone bump it to the OFF position? Next try turning your fuel petcock to PRIME or PRI if you have one (EFI bikes don't).

Of course you'll need to hook a proper motorcycle battery charger up to the battery for overnight before you can try again. It takes a good 8 to 10 hours to charge it up enough to try again. DO NOT use a car charger on your motorcycle battery. NOt even for a while. It'll push too much current too fast and cause damage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TeeTee,
Your description is the best. Im sure its not the starter. I'll look into charging the battery.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
But that still doesn't answer why it didn't start. Did you check the off-run switch? You wouldn't be the first person to get caught by that. It happens to me at least two or three times a season. Usually I catch it right away but on the kick start dual sport I wore myself out kicking and cursing for almost 15 minutes before I noticed that the damn button was in the wrong position. I must have bumped it off because I never switch it normally. Then I got to call myself all the same names that I used on the bike only moments before... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts