BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I need a new head barrel, piston and rings. Where would be the best place to get them and how much is it going to cost for the parts????

·
Registered
181 Posts
Johno said:
Looks like I need a new head barrel, piston and rings. Where would be the best place to get them and how much is it going to cost for the parts????

if by head barrel you mean sleave, and your replace the piston and rings with decent parts, look around the 700 mark

i had to do the same wiht a 90 yz250 and thats about what it cost me. its a easy job...but a little more money then i wanted to spend

edit... it cost 748 for parts - some had to be ordered and i got a pro x piston and ring kit
over all cost me about 900 cuz i had to send the case away for the new sleeve to be put in

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
take it to mongoose....they can fix u up....

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
+1 on Mongoose. They do some amazing work there.

·
Registered
181 Posts
yea..i had to ship my cylinder from vernon bc to the coast to get the work done...so that sucked for me and the wallet....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went into Mongoose but when they looked at the sleeve and piston they think I have a detonation problem which I need to fix before getting the the work done. Anyone have any ideas where to start looking for that??

·
Registered
181 Posts
yea, check what gas your running and what spark plug you have. check your owners manuel and make sure your running the right plug....if both the gas are good and spark plug is right, its prolly in the ignition somwhere

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Odds are that your timming is not the problem....what has been done to the bike??? any jet changes....I need a bit of history....a shot in the dark would lead me to start looking at the jetting...weather plugged or changed....basically a 125 is a high reving engine and to get detonation it has to be running lean or the timming is out...but the timming on most MX bikes has limited adjustments...unless the back plate screws came loose or the flywheel came loose and sheared the key...that can be easily checked with a little screwdriver in the plug hole and turn the crank by hand until you feel top dead center and there will be 2 lines on the ignition back plate that should be close to the line on the crank/flywheel...i doubt you have a dial indicator so this should get you close...to rule out the timming issue....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts