BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
JMFN
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The numbers all seem the same with the exception of the pro link. Is it possible? Welding required? It's not for racing so I'm not overly concerned with the fine points, besides the 03 has better wheel, brakes, tire, sproket and shock not to mention looks way cooler. so those are the pros, what are the cons? Forgive me if I'm being retarded, this is my first build, just want to know if I should loose any sleep or just forget about it.

·
back on the street
1,832 Posts
I know you can almost bolt on a 600rr swingarm to a F4 or F4i, so it might be possible, also check out the 100rr swingarm, since they are both big bore bikes the dimensions might be closer, check out [url]www.cbrworld.net [/URL]...they have a tutorial for installing the RR swingarm on an F4i

F

·
0 Posts
your gonna have a tricky problem becasue the rr swingarm is made to use the engine as a mounting point for the arm ,the cbr 900 doesnt ,,but that not that big of a deal ,,you'll need to weld a tube to the inside of the RR swingarm so it mimicks the cbr 900 mounting design.I would pop out the cbr 600rr bearings and make sure you can get the inner sleeve from the cbr 900 swingarm in to the new tube you have just welded in so the pivot axle isnt floating around aimlessly .
Jusy cut the inside tube from your cbr 900 swingarm so you know its going to work .Then if the RR swingarm is more narrow or smaller ,,a tiny bit wider is ok ,,but only a tiny bit ,then you may need shims to center it .If the RR swingarm is wider you may have to machine the inside of the cbr 900 so it fits ,,but you run in to lots of other difficulties then as far as bearings and the adjustments.You may also have to weld a boss to accept the lower linkages and dog bones from the RR to the cbr 900 frame ,,,,not sure id have to look
then as far as dogbones /linkages go ,you can make your own ,,you may be able to use the RR but i doubt it .YOu def can use the RR shock as its part of the swingarm

TAlk to a guy named WALLY for the welding ,,(i dont weld myself i wish i did ,thats all sent out) ive heard his name over and over the last little while apparently hes an awsome welder in LANGLEY ,,i dont have his number i think bill at www.5thgear.ca does .Im gona hit that wally guy up as well i heard he does a lot of stuff other people wont touch and hes into weird bike stuff.ANYBODY here with his contact info ?

anyway here is a couple examples of swingarm swaps
1999 f4 with RR swingarm(moslty a blot on with few spacers and i made my own dog bones)
2000 f4 with 04 r1 swinarm (had to machine the arm becasue it doesnt use the engine as a mount so the inner tube was removed)
2000 zx6 with zx10 swingarm (swingarm was wider frame had to bemachined down )

F

·
0 Posts
other side
and f4 with r1 swinger

you can do it all yourself once you get someone to weld that tube into the rr swinger and possibly mount areas for the dogbones ,then just install it like stock the pro-link shock makes it easier cuz you know its going to work ,,its the rocker arm and the dog bones that may cause handling issues ,,i have a MINT rr swingarm and linkage if your interested

i also have an 05 GSXR 1000 swingarm,im sure its more narrow than a 900 frame ,,,more narrow is way easier than tooo wide .,i think that would look better ,and nobody has done that yet cuz ive seen tons of RR swingarm swaps already and it already has that center tube its about 10 inches wide ,but the shockand linkages might throw it all off,so its something to think about ,,at least the RR swinger is the pro-link so a lot more user friendly as far as shock and pivot actions for a custom aplication,

·
JMFN
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You freaken rule!

I usually don't make such metrosexual remarks, but seriously after years of tech and car mod forums this is the first time in a long time I felt helped and like my question was taken seriously by someone who knew what the HE 2 x hkcy stix they were talking about. I think I'm going to go for it, if I mess it up I'm bringing it to you to fix it for sure, and I wont mind paying extra for being a dumb ass. That last pic, it's not complete and functional is it? If it is I want that, screw the subframe, I'll float!! Oh yeah, while I have your attention what would a flat super mat black (not show, I'm dumping this thing first day guaranteed) paint job on the 900RR fairings be(Upper, lower, mids rear)? I can bring em prepped and primed just a nice coat and a clear. I could also use a couple small plastic welds to mod the rear cowel, I just want to shorten it about 3 -4 inches (I think I saw you do something like that on your site) for a smaller passenger seat.
Thanks again, hey if yer ever in Port Moody and need something or someone poked, or tattooed drop by Sinister Skin, ask for Jimmy.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You can do almost anything if you think it through properly. Anyone want to guess what we're building here?

F

·
0 Posts
rgm said:
You can do almost anything if you think it through properly. Anyone want to guess what we're building here?

SWEEEEEET !!! i see a r6 swingarm wheel and shock(that adjistable linkage mount is really cool ,,nice welds they look perfect!) ,05 gsxr 600 or 750 forks,,i cant tell if the lower tubes are black like the 1000's ,looks like the older 320mm rotors, im lost on the frame ,,looks like honda ,,is it a 400 ?
rvf?

anyway looks really cool what bodywork are ya running on it ?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
borderline said:
SWEEEEEET !!! im lost on the frame ,,looks like honda ,,is it a 400 ?
rvf?

anyway looks really cool what bodywork are ya running on it ?
You are right on all counts except for the frame. Good eye on the 320mm rotors, most people would've assumed it was an '05 wheel as well as the 600 forks. Small aluminum spacer with some longer Ti bolts and we're good to go. As for the frame and engine, it is a 95/96 ZX6R. Since we're building it to run in F2 class at Mission with the WMRC the frame and motor need to be 96 and older 600. As for bodywork, we're still undecided but we have an '04/'05 gsxr subframe on the way so we can run a relatively small superbike tail. Then we'll play with some different uppers and see which one works best with the ram air tubes.

F

·
0 Posts
you know, i thought that was pre-98 zx6 from L shaped back of the frame,(sort of 92 zx7 ish ) but i didint recongize the engine covers or the subframe .those bikes are pretty quick,now that you dropped all its weight its really gonna haul .Not sure why everybody doesnt use the 320 rotors on newer gixxers,they bolt right on ,like you said just needs a spacer to back the caliper out.one thing FOR SURE ,,you'll outbrake pretty much anything on the old school 600 grid with a brake set up like that ,2 piston old ass calipers and 280 or smaller rotors,no lines or fancy pads are gonna make up for that ,,hahahaha see ya ,you'll stil be shifting up while they are on the binders.
if your running a gsxr superbike tail ,the upper sort of needs to be more of a sharp angles no ? to match .,i think you could direct the ram air tubes into a 2001 style zx6r (kinda wide though) maybe cut it done the middle and section it so its more narrow? cbr RR ? it has the ram air inlets on both sides .or f4i ,ducati 748.

gona be a cool bike anyway be cool to se it with a TZ tail and a RR upper ,,look like a 250 GP bike .

F

·
0 Posts
BF said:
Just a thought to save a whole buncha time and money and maybe handling wow's ? You could always Brace your existing 900rr swingarm to look like a 60rr swingarm ? http://www.overthetop.ca/products-swingarms.htm
DITTO on that ,get OVT to fil it from both sides ,it will look better than an RR swingarm and it wil just bolt right back in .no wheel changes spacers or suspension tricks.

·
JMFN
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
POCO Welder?

Any welders in Poco reading this thread and who want to give this a shot? let me know.

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts
Robert it's coming along nicely! I am currently taking up a collection to have that thing torn down in tech.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueler?

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts
Oh, and for bodywork, why not Ducati 999? Air inlets are close enough together no?

S

·
0 Posts
Dagon7 said:
Any welders in Poco reading this thread and who want to give this a shot? let me know.

do yourself and the local welders a favour and send it to overthetop.ca

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Dagon7 said:
Not that I'm on here trying to drum up business, but I think you might want to give this a little thought before turning it over to "Mr Local Welder" He may be an awsome welder for boat's and such , but I think you (your ass) might want someone with a little background on the stress and pressuer point's on a swingarm compared to a fishing boat or storage tanks to a winery ? Just a thought ?

·
JMFN
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have now taken apart and measured everything, now just taking a deep breath before I do anything drastic, I was looking at the pics you posted (he second to last photo) and the inner tube brace for the 600 EXACTLY acomadates the bracket on the 900 if the tube is cut as you suggested. But I was wondering if I could do it the way you did it in the second to last photo instead and avoid cutting all together.
borderline said:
other side
and f4 with r1 swinger

you can do it all yourself once you get someone to weld that tube into the rr swinger and possibly mount areas for the dogbones ,then just install it like stock the pro-link shock makes it easier cuz you know its going to work ,,its the rocker arm and the dog bones that may cause handling issues ,,i have a MINT rr swingarm and linkage if your interested

i also have an 05 GSXR 1000 swingarm,im sure its more narrow than a 900 frame ,,,more narrow is way easier than tooo wide .,i think that would look better ,and nobody has done that yet cuz ive seen tons of RR swingarm swaps already and it already has that center tube its about 10 inches wide ,but the shockand linkages might throw it all off,so its something to think about ,,at least the RR swinger is the pro-link so a lot more user friendly as far as shock and pivot actions for a custom aplication,

·
JMFN
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Valid point.

OK, point taken, I will take it to a Sports Bike experienced welder, but your in Kelowna right? There is no way I could get the bike to Kelowna and back for any kind of reasonable price. Who do you all recomend Semi Local (lowermainland)? I have sent a message to fith gear for contact info for the elusive Mr. Whally but other than that any suggestions?
BF said:
Not that I'm on here trying to drum up business, but I think you might want to give this a little thought before turning it over to "Mr Local Welder" He may be an awsome welder for boat's and such , but I think you (your ass) might want someone with a little background on the stress and pressuer point's on a swingarm compared to a fishing boat or storage tanks to a winery ? Just a thought ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts