BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for new tires and I have decided to change from a 120/60 front tire profile to a 120/70. These will be Dunlops D208's BTW. Anyways, I was wondering for those of you who have tried this -

1) Any fitment issues with clearance on the front tire
2) Noticeable difference on the road/track
3) Do you even recommend trying this after your experience

And for those of you that might ask, I want to try this due to an article by FastBikes about how the 120/70 performs tons better, but I lost the issue and can't remember if they had fitment issues, and I would rather have real world oppinions from you guys on performance.

Thanks all.

·
8=(,,,)==D
458 Posts
bimmerdude said:
What will a higher profile front tire do?
More rubber on the road when leaning = more stability when leaned over.

Changing to a 70 series was one of the best things to do a pre-05 R6. It feel way more solid when you have leaned over. There shouldn't be any clearance issues with the front fender. Just go for it.

You'll have to make adjustments to the ride height of the front or rear to compensate the extra height of the tire.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
When I had an 04 R6 I swapped to Power Pilots. It's profile is a bit taller and I had to notch the front fender to gain a bit of clearance. Even if it clears when sitting don't forget the tire will get a bit bigger at speed. If a rock get stuck the fender takes a beating. I also dropped the forks in the crowns a bit to keep the handling.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
flowrider said:
When I had an 04 R6 I swapped to Power Pilots. It's profile is a bit taller and I had to notch the front fender to gain a bit of clearance. Even if it clears when sitting don't forget the tire will get a bit bigger at speed. If a rock get stuck the fender takes a beating. I also dropped the forks in the crowns a bit to keep the handling.
Thanks for the replies, that helps alot.

·
???????
908 Posts
BdubsR6 said:
And for those of you that might ask, I want to try this due to an article by FastBikes about how the 120/70 performs tons better, but I lost the issue and can't remember if they had fitment issues, and I would rather have real world oppinions from you guys on performance.
Read that one. Said to run Pirelli/Metzeller because they don't grow much at speed and contact the fender.

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
I've read an article in Sport Rider about them doing this to an R6 and taking measurements of the front end before changing the tire. Measure how high up your bar ends are before the change, and then lower the front end to acheive the same hieght.

This way the bike will steer just a quickly. If you just leave it, your bike will be a bit slower to react to steering inputs

·
???????
908 Posts
rockshoxbiker said:
I've read an article in Sport Rider about them doing this to an R6 and taking measurements of the front end before changing the tire. Measure how high up your bar ends are before the change, and then lower the front end to acheive the same hieght.

This way the bike will steer just a quickly. If you just leave it, your bike will be a bit slower to react to steering inputs

This one? http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0202_geek/index.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts