BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just so you all can sleep at night i eliminated the blast as a contender for my money. i found a 05 FZ6 with 7000km on it. the bike looks prestine and i can get it from the dealer for 7000. is that a good price? it seems to be descent, no shops around here are taking trades for another month or so. unless i dont like riding (which i dont think will be a problem) ill likely hang on to this bike for a long while. i need gear so i might see if i can get any better of a deal by gettin atleast a helmet to go with the bike, perhaps my dad would get one too.
does 7 seem fair? hi low? i think its quite good, but i cant find a ny FZ6's forsale anywhere. Several FZ1's but notta for a 6.

thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, that is a fair price. The bike lists for $8900, so if it is in "as new" condition, it's a good deal. Besides, there aren't a lot of them around. My wife bought one last year and loves it!
:)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hows the suspension adjustments? and how well does the bikini fairing work for highway travel?

·
Registered
91 Posts
matty67 said:
hows the suspension adjustments? and how well does the bikini fairing work for highway travel?
Suspension adjustment on rear only; but the stock setting seem to work fine for all but very agresive riding, or track days. The fairing works VERY well. Rode it to Napa Valley last summer, and was real comfortable.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Matty, the suspension will easily be good enough for you as a total beginner for at least the first season. We all slag the fixed suspensions on many of the "lesser" bikes (they aren't really lesser, just different but you can't teach the racer replica crowd that :D) but in reality they are just fine for all but some semi serious track riding. Later, if you get into that level of riding, you can upgrade a few inner components and achieve 80% of the gain you'd get by going for a full on sportbike. In the meantime just go and ride and the bike will do anything you ask of it short of fly itself across a canyon.

As beginner bikes with long term satisfaction go these days the FZ6 is a fine bike. But although it is often suggested as a first time bike be aware that it is still a 600 and is a LOT faster and more powerful than any, and I mean any, car you have ever been in that does not involve a low 6 figure price tag. Treat it with respect.

It easily has enough performance to keep you enthused for years to come.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
The MSRP on that bike is $9199, brand new.

You can get an '06 crate fresh bike from www.blackfootonline.com for $7,999.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't suggest it as a first bike unless you have some prior dirt bike experience (more than a weekend or two).

That bike can kick your ass. There are quite a few in that class of bike though if you are looking.

I can't help thinking that you should buy something cheaper and without a fairing to learn on. How about a Suzuki GS500? You can get a new '05 for $4500 (MSRP of $6100) and sell it off next year for pretty close to the same price. Not much of a loss and you will learn to ride on a more forgiving bike.

As well, I do like the ergos of the FZ6, but know that there are better bikes out there for the same money.

I would buy the GS500 for $4500, ride it for a year or 2, then trade it for, I don't know, a Kawasaki Z750S (with fairing). About the same price as the FZ6, but definately more bike.

Remember, insurance is based on declared value, so that FZ6 at $8000 (after taxes) is going to be pretty high compared to the GS500 at $4500 ($5200) after taxes.

Try this forum for a good, cheap, used, local bike: http://www.okanagansportbikes.com/

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Good bike. Good price.

Get it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've put almost 18,000 on mine in less than 2 years. If you intend doing longer trips, this is a very comfortable bike that isn't as hard on the wrists as the super-sportbikes. I've done a number of 12 hour days, and the only pain I feel is in the knees (which I guarantee would be worse with higher pegs), and due to my excessive age, not the bike ergos :laughing .

Performance-wise, this is a slightly retuned R6 engine that does not embarrass itself. True, in a head-to-head drag race, all the super-sport 600s will be faster, but honestly, at this level of performance, the rider is the difference.

Buy the bike! You'll love it, and if you don't, you'll be able to sell it easily (you said yourself...there aren't any used ones for sale).

Oh, and Thank God you got off the Buell kick!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its actually an 04... but ive found something else... 02 kawi ZR-7S 14000km for 4900.
the reviews ive found on it tho arent very nice tho.

·
California dreamin'
2,440 Posts
If you decide to buy the FZ I'd definitely see about cutting a deal with the dealer for a helmet. Having said that though, I'd only bother getting a helmet at the dealer if it was competitive with what similar helmets are going for online.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had my FZ6-05 since Dec 04. I ride year round and have now 11,000 kms on it.

Last summer I spent most Thursday and a few Sundays racing it at Boundary Bay. After a month there, I was riding up in the intermediate level. The bike has lots of torque in the low to mid range for a 600 cc bike; this allowed it to out pull many other 600's on the slow hairpin corners. Brakes are great coming into the turns hot. Suspension is non-adjustable but it is well tuned stock. For Mission track, etc, better suspension would be appreciated.

I have ridden many 12-hour days, with virtually no body pain afterwards. Honestly, with its sport/touring ergos, I could have ridden more - I just don't like the dark.

This weekend I am off for bike/camping down in Washington. The bike easily fits with soft luggage. I love its ability to tour long distances yet still perform with sport finesse on the twisties.

Also check out its website,
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69

1 - 12 of 12 Posts