BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this has been covered in another thread my apologies.

Long rides on a sports bike require a level of tolerance that some people have and some people don’t but ive heard there some mods u can do.

Different seats, footpegs, handle bar risers.....suggestions (brands ECT...appreciated)

·
Unregistered User
2,769 Posts
You can try handlebars from a BMW K1200LT, a windshield off a Goldwing, and Harley Davidson forward controls. Pardon the sarcasm, but you're riding a Gixxer, not a Lexus. The best accessory you can buy is mileage. The more saddle time you spend, the less of an issue it becomes.

On the other hand if you have old injuries, degenerative conditions, or other pre-existing orthopaedic conditions you may seriously want to consider a different bike.

I don't know what distances and times you ride now, or how many supersports you've owned. Presuming you're new, just try lengthening the times and distances of each ride as you go.

-------------

EDIT: Oh, you indicated in your last thread that you just came off a GS500, so firstly congrats on the new Gixxer. What you are suffering is likely just body adjustment issues, hopefully will mellow with time, kind of like going to the gym for the first time in 7 months. Save your money for tires.

·
Registered
871 Posts
On the other hand if you have old injuries, degenerative conditions, or other pre-existing orthopaedic conditions you may seriously want to consider a different bike.
omgf what have i done?
i will have to keep a supply of tylenol 3's and a bottle of JD in the trunk to make it back from the cascades

·
Unregistered User
2,769 Posts
omgf what have i done?
i will have to keep a supply of tylenol 3's and a bottle of JD in the trunk to make it back from the cascades
I find I can store more JD in the gas tank than the trunk. Anyway the trunk is for storing extra boxes of Depends. :evilgrin

____

Back on topic: I don't know what kind of tires the Gixxer comes with but they're bound not to be crap. Tires are a pretty subjective thing, and there are many threads around about this topic specifically. If you're just starting out, then as long as you aren't putting on ribbed bias ply tires or John Deere tractor specials you should be OK (although my current rides have tires pretty close to these descriptions).

My point about saving your money for tires has more to do with them wearing out fast. Replacing tires won't do anything for comfort BTW.

A caution about handle bar risers and relocating footpegs. You're going to change not only the ergos but also potentially the handling characteristics of the bike too. It's like buying a new suit in size 50 tall, and then having your tailor alter it to fit your 42 short frame. You should have just bought the 42 short to begin with.

Some things that might work though without drastically changing the bike: bicycle shorts; stretching before the ride and at every break; keeping fit and limber in general; moving around on the bike and in the seat while riding. And mileage, no substitute for it.

·
565 Posts
They come with BT014's. Not a bad tire IMO...(not like the the D208s which I didn't like once they had a more than a couple of thousand K's on them). However, when I wear my 014's out, I will probably go with the Pilot Powers. I had them for awhile on my ZX-6R before trading it and I loved the tires.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Corbin seat, Heated vest / grips, Heili bars!!!

·
565 Posts
Oh yeah, as for mods. I've replaced the horn with a Freeway Blaster low tone (a feat of engineering in itself) and added wiring for my heated vest and trickle charger. Of course I removed the warning decals fromthe fairing uppers and tank. That's about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts