BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have the 525 -1 +4 gearing. how much top speed will I loose if I go to +5 or 6? is it even worth adding a couple more ?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
So you say your running -1/+4 that would give you a 15/49 tooth setup since stock on a 06 R6 should be 16/45.

With your current setup the math shows that at 14000 rpm in 6th gear your top speed would be 213 if you add +5 to your current setup you would drop to 194 and +6 you drop to 190. This of course is only math, it all depends on rider weight, wind, etc. the chances that you see 213 are all dependent on other external factors it could be much less. You'll also be running through the gears fast on the way up to highway cruising speeds and running higher rpms which will cause more fuel burn and your range will drop.

It all depends on what your performance goal is here?

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my top speed is not 213. its about 240-250 maybe a bit more. It pulls wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy harder then stock right now thats for sure

·
Ninja, Pirate, or Zombie?
197 Posts
Are you sure about that? Do you have a speedo healer setup and calibrated or are you checking by gps? or some otherway?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
my top speed is not 213. its about 240-250 maybe a bit more. It pulls wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy harder then stock right now thats for sure
I'm pretty sure that's mathmatically impossible with your setup, your speedometer is off although it's a theoritical max speed depending on horsepower and wind resistance, riders weight, excess weight on the bike, the actual max speed usually in most cases falls under the theoritcal max speed. Unless your still running 16/45 stock sprockets then your top speed is calculated to be 248 in 6th gear at 14000 rpm. And it will pull way harder than stock, your producing more torque on the lower end. You will not be pulling harder than stock on your upper end.

The mathmatical calculations are just guidelines you can still see in theory what happens if you raise your rear sprocket tooth count by 5 or 6. You may also have to increase the links in your chain in order to get it to fit with this adjustment. You'll be -39.9 mm from the stock position.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
248 at 14000??? this is not a 05 bike or a r6s. redline is 17500 or correction 17200
You have to remember that redline is not the top of the power curve unless your running a power commander and have a different mapping than stock. At redline your producing less power as the curve starts to fall off. The max HP at the top of the curve for the 06 R6 on one dyno test was 111hp @ 14374rpm

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I just calculated the percentage that your speedo could be out with the current setup and it came out to around 19% which would definitely account for why you think it's like 240 - 250 km/h. 213 + 19% = 253 so like I mentioned earlier your actual top speed is most likely less than 213km/h.

·
mike was taken
530 Posts
248 at 14000??? this is not a 05 bike or a r6s. redline is 17500 or correction 17200
Try about 16000 actually, they fibbed a little that year.
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/01february06_redline.htm

Anyway the bike with the stock gearing should be capable of hitting around 250km/h (actual speed, not speedo reading), so with -1 +4 you're probably down now to about 215 km/h.
Going up 2 more on the rear would drop it to about 205km/h. Those are actual speeds, not indicated.
You probably won't miss the drop in top speed unless you're doing dumb stuff on the highway or at least a lot of highway cruising, but you'll be shifting a lot more under normal riding.
What you've done already is probably good enough though. Those gen r6's really need it as they make no power under 9000rpm and stock you pretty much have to ride a gear lower than other 600's.

·
Registered
856 Posts
So let get it straight:

Phantom comes on the forum, looking for help in further lowering his top speed. The performance goal, as I read it, given his current set up and possible future set up, is bottom end and midrange gains.

Scorpion provides very calculated advice, as he obviously knows his stuff. Mike chimes in also with calculated advice. Phantom had the right idea asking questions here, because this forum can be a great source of advice.

Phantom disagrees with simple math and physics, then argues that his R6, with gearing changes already, exceeds 250 km/h.

Just checking that I read that right. That's all.

Phantom: Why ask questions if you don't want answers????

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
didnt you read what he said ? saying that the bike in stock form can only do 250k. as if ... if you honestly believe that a 600cc bike only does 250k with stock gears then your an idiot sorry to burst your bubble. I asked how much would your speed drop if you add 2 more teeth to the back as in 20-30k etc etc and then saying you make more power at 14000 rpm.. I didnt ask for dyno numbers and sorry if you keep your bike at 14000rpm your not going to go faster then the guy that is at redline.

·
Registered
856 Posts
didnt you read what he said ? saying that the bike in stock form can only do 250k. as if ... if you honestly believe that a 600cc bike only does 250k with stock gears then your an idiot sorry to burst your bubble. I asked how much would your speed drop if you add 2 more teeth to the back as in 20-30k etc etc and then saying you make more power at 14000 rpm.. I didnt ask for dyno numbers and sorry if you keep your bike at 14000rpm your not going to go faster then the guy that is at redline.
Calling me or anyone else an idiot is not going to help your case in getting your question answered. If you believe that your bike's speedo is accurate, even with stock gearing, then that is your misconception. If you think that the speedo will not give higher than actual readings after you alter the stock gearing, then that is also your misconception. You posted on this forum seeking advice. You were provided with excellent advice from people who have ridden for a long time, recognize laws of physics, and can actually use a calculator for reasons other than spelling "boobless" and laughing with your other keyboard hero friends.

I can only surmise that the "2005" in your name is derived from your year of birth. You weren't born yesterday, but pretty damn close to it.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I've owned the bike and ran it with a GPS....265km'h.....me tucked in smashing the revlimiter DOWNHILL.

Yeah it was reading way high and the tach's out by almost 1500 rpm....

600's are still slow....I can see why you wanna lower the overall gearing....useless to have top end you never use. Sorry I'm not a Math Nerd.

Ummmmmm.....try running Nitrogen in your tires, set the pressures right, adjust the chain, change to synthetic blinker fluid (it's lighter) and let us know how it works out !!:coffee

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
An 05 redlines at about 15500 in real life. That was about the time Yamaha was a little "enthusiastic" about their redline on the tach read: they lied big time. Stock speedos are also NOT accurate at all - they can read up to about 10% off. If you don't believe me, take a gps with you (even in your pocket), go to a quiet road, get it up to 200k showing on the clock (the closer the better), come to a stop, and see what the gps says for top speed. You'll be unpleasantly surprised.

FWIW, my F4i was 3% high stock. This went to about 5% as the tyre wore out. With a higher profile tyre (read longer circumfrence) on my gixxer thou, the speedo is 5% out. With stock tyres I expect it would be around 6-7%. That'll also increase as the tyre wears.

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes I was born in 2005 you tool. I am commenting on that his advice is wrong. The bike does faster then 250 In stock form. You want proof I will be happy to take a gps and prove you wrong. Also stating that the bike makes more power etc at 14k then at redline ...... um ok you go in 6th at 14k and I will go at your 16,200 redline and we will see who is going faster. If you want to give information try and make sure you know what your talkin about first.

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
yes i know the 05 has a lower rpm redline its a complete different motor then the 06 R6

go to the chart listed above and put in your 16200 rpm edited redline changes the top speed to 287k

then change the gearing to 15/49 and what do you get ?? 247k

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
Speed in a certain gear has NOTHING to do with where in the rev range power is produced. If you think you're making the most power 1 rpm before the limiter kicks in you're mistaken. Example:

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
yes i know the 05 has a lower rpm redline its a complete different motor then the 06 R6

go to the chart listed above and put in your 16200 rpm edited redline changes the top speed to 287k

The 06 taco is off by about 9% ...

What the graph doesn't factor in is DRAG. The 600 doesn't make enough power to punch past about 255-260.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts