BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

125 or 250

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  drefred 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what route I'm going to take as far as my next bike purchase and I could use a little advice. I want a supermoto and I want a dirt bike but it seems that a bike for both might be a bit of a pain in the ass as far as set up and switching back and forth so I was wondering if I got two bikes, would a 125 or a 250 2 stroke be better for playing in the bush. I would be doing mostly trail riding, so no motocross, what do you think?

#2 ·
The 250 is the way to go Rob. A 125 is too flat on the bottom end for good trail riding. A 250 set up for the bush is very nice. You may consider the KTM EXC's. A friend has the 200 and it is very good in the trails. Much easier to go fast on then a 250 mx'er. But I like the added excitement of the 250!

When are we going riding again?

#4 ·
We will be going very soon. I go see the surgeon on the 19th.:rockon All this time off the bikes has been driving me nuts and as you can see when I'm not riding I'm selling and buying and trying to decide what kind of riding I'm going to do. It drives me nuts, I can just imagine what's going through Linda's head! LOL

#3 ·
Unless your 100lbs wet a 125 would be a little underpowered for trails....but it can be done...however a 250 2 stroke can become a very good bike when set up for the bush....I own one...and have ridden nearly all the bikes out there...it all depends on the types of trails you are gona ride....heck I see old DT125 yamies in the bush havin a blast to $10,000.00 ++ exotic imports...Just run what you can afford to.....it's all fun and unlike road sports where every ounce and every horsepower makes a diff. nearly any dirt bike will in most cases be more than enough for anyone.

#7 ·
go 300! Much easier to ride in the bush than a 250, its more like a 3 stroke. After riding a 300, you will never consider anything else. I've been on one for 4 seasons now, and have ridden a ton of 125's, 250's (2 and 4 stroke), and 450's. Nothing compares to the low end torque of a 300, nothing. Im selling my Gas Gas 300 to buy a newer one. Check it out http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76990

#9 ·
......and riding style. I ride with a guy that is constantly spinning the tire hard with tonnes of throttle and hard clutch work (YZ250). I also work my clutch hard but only use the throttle needed (KX250). I tend to tractor up stuff with little fuss where he rips a new rut all the way up. We both make everything, he is for sure faster, but we get there and have fun.

#10 ·
I'm seriously considering getting a YZ250 and getting some motard rims for it for f440 and the odd tradex day. You should get some wheels too Trevor so we can rip it up on the pavement too. By the way, both bikes are gone- the kid just wasn't into it so I didn't want to force him. I figure if I'm going to keep dirt riding that I may as well get something light (that's where the YZ comes in)

#12 ·
A buddy and I bought two YZ's in 94, I had a 250, he wanted the 125. We started riding at the tailing ponds, and on the steep hills, he was milking his clutch lever and spinning his rear all over the place to try and compensate for absolutely no bottom end. My 250 sailed up that shit, he had a hell of a time. He regretted buying the 125, although he did better on the flat riding. If your gonna climb, dont get the 125.

#13 ·
I've been riding the Husky WR 125. It's built to for X country running. It has been in the top 3 in the last 3 X country races intermediate level. It's a ton of fun. I like it because of the weight factor 198lbs. It's by far the fastest tight woods bike I have ever been on . I've tried every set up you can think of in the past 10 years and this is my favourite so far.

I don't spin my tires much and try to ride smooth. The 125 at least this one can tractor up anything and I like the steep nasty stuff. For my riding style it is perfect and it's only $5000 brand new. The WR 250 Husky has the same great handling just more power. For a beginner bush rider the WR 250 is probably better because the extra grunt helps make up for mistakes.

i'm still not down on the 450 4 stroke in the bush thing . They really beat the hell out of you. There fun but you have to fight the bike because of the power. All the fast guys are on 250 2 strokes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.