BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit.

The driver completed the course in about 8 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground until a DVD release a few years ago.

CLICK ME

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Thanks for posting this up. I have described this clip to a couple of friends but I could never find it.

I saw this couple of years ago at a festival of short films (maybe at The Ridge?) and on a big screen this is simply breathtaking. Even the artsy-fartsy cinema crowd were in awe of this clip - left 'em speechless. Gotta love the roar of the engine :rockon

I remember doing a little research after I saw it back then and I remember on one site that seemed well informed - they said the driver was rumoured to be Jacky Ickx.

Thanx.

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
Wow going for a nice early morning rip through my favorite city. haha. Towards the end there he was really jammin on the gas through some blind corners in that residential stretch. I guess he knew the area really well.

Is this available in DVD quality through an online store?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Love the sound of the engine, Beautiful approach to the L'arc de triumph....one could only dream. 1978 few cars on the road back then. You gotta love it a tour of Paris in 8 minutes and a landmark at the end of every long street. Georgeous!

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
Yes, lets endanger lives of many people so we can make money off of DVD sales.
I'd love to punch that director in the face... many times.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
made Man said:
Yes, lets endanger lives of many people so we can make money off of DVD sales.
I'd love to punch that director in the face... many times.
It sucks doesn't it? That everyone is entitled to voice their opinions.

I'd say this was shot a O'dark thirty on a Sunday morning... Only time in Paris there wasn't a bazillion people and gridlock every where you turned.

It was sweet to watch as we were just there last October... Brought back so many memories... That and the route he takes would have taken almost 1.5hrs during the day :eek:

·
15,773 Posts
CrashTested said:
It sucks doesn't it? That everyone is entitled to voice their opinions.
EH?
His right to express himself as a director ends where me being crashed by a car starts.

·
Registered
991 Posts
made Man said:
EH?
His right to express himself as a director ends where me being crashed by a car starts.

And im sure the driver that hit you was a F1 race driver driving a ferrari with staggering performance figures and braking capabilities.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
Dacon said:
And im sure the driver that hit you was a F1 race driver driving a ferrari with staggering performance figures and braking capabilities.
I think his point was that there is a place for wreckless driving, and public streets are not the place to be doing it. Would it be cool if you were drunk driving as long as it was after dark?

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
adam112 said:
...Would it be cool if you were drunk driving as long as it was after dark?
sadly, plenty of people think that it is.

·
15,773 Posts
Dacon said:
Honestly, at those speeds i wouldnt really care.:ghost
I came damn close to being hit by a shit-stang racing on the highway. Different time, different car, different driver, same set of mind. "My car can go fast, therefor I will". Apperently it was not good enough for him to wait 1 second for me to pass him (he was merging in!) and instead he risked killing at least 2 people (my passsenger and I).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts