·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*18k vehicles seized so far for excessive speed
* seizure rate rising, not falling
* on one weekend, Hope Towing racked up 55 tows
* 104 impounds since June in Manning Park / Skagit Bluffs
The subject of the story, Andrew Scott is "flabbergasted" as he's one of those (like almost everybody) that believes these laws wouldn't or don't apply to him. Police don't interpret laws, they apply them and enforce. Speed limits do not represent the UPPER end of safe travel speed in BC (don't worry, you'll never see police speed traps when it's snowing and icy), and until that happens, you roll the dice everytime you ride. Don't agree with it? Go here (we'll let you know when we need you). Mounties The Province story: Police impound more than 100 vehicles this year for speeding on Highway 3

·
just having fun
4,007 Posts
18,000 @ what, $3,000 in towing, storage and fine fees so that's roughly $54,000,000 ? not bad. oh and people are not slowing down? hmmm what was it for ...... oh yes to make our roads safer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
18,000 @ what, $3,000 in towing, storage and fine fees so that's roughly $54,000,000 ? not bad. oh and people are not slowing down? hmmm what was it for ...... oh yes to make our roads safer.
I love the quote from "HOPE" Towing (an oxymoron for sure). I'm not surprised he's not sympathetic LOL.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,829 Posts
coming soon to a BC roadway near you: "re-defining excessive speed as 30 over..."

then 20...

... and it doesn't get any better from here....

You just know some twatwaffle is going to come up with the idea, "If we just lower the limits and increase the fines...", surely THAT would fix everything!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
wouldn't this contravene the right to use canada's roadways for safe passage as dictated by the crown or some shit centuries ago? i just can't stand the fact that our public servants will strand anyone, man, woman, or child, in the middle of fucking nowhere for not putting anyone else at risk and doing 41km/h over the speed limit. such utter horseshit. any cop that enforces this law is a fucking moron who can't think critically of how wrong it is. i have talked myself and 2 others out of 2 impounds so far and never got the hook, the officers seemed to have a fucking clue.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts

·
Let the good times roll
1,083 Posts
wouldn't this contravene the right to use canada's roadways for safe passage as dictated by the crown or some shit centuries ago? i just can't stand the fact that our public servants will strand anyone, man, woman, or child, in the middle of fucking nowhere for not putting anyone else at risk and doing 41km/h over the speed limit. such utter horseshit. any cop that enforces this law is a fucking moron who can't think critically of how wrong it is. i have talked myself and 2 others out of 2 impounds so far and never got the hook, the officers seemed to have a fucking clue.
they don't strand people in the middle of nowhere.

they are obligated to take people to a place where they can find transportation (city bus, GreyHound, taxi, call a friend, etc)

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
As nice as #3 is that road is a nightmare with the clueless tourists mixed in with the hammer down in the straight or passing zone crowd (and brake it back down to 50 when you get in the curves).

As this thread grows I'll cross check the naysayers vs. the past we love the Liberals threads.

The current government rammed this legislation through and they're the people who deserve the heat. Sadly they didn't get any at election time and though they're taking minor flack over the drunk driving impounds the we don't care attitude they're showing regarding that and what the courts have told them doesn't bode well for any changes to this law.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,829 Posts
the sooner autonomous vehicles rule the roadways, the sooner every traffic cop is out of a job.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
they don't strand people in the middle of nowhere.

they are obligated to take people to a place where they can find transportation (city bus, GreyHound, taxi, call a friend, etc)

i couldn't find the one i wanted but yea, they do leave people on the side of the highway in the middle of nowhere. also the last impound i talked my wife and i out of, the cop straight up said "you would be walking on the side of the road if i was in traffic."
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Str...penalty+excessive+speeding/8804157/story.html
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/07/19/bc-disabled-impound-speeding.html

·
Insert User Title Here.
4,868 Posts
Unfortunately it will take a family getting stranded, then mowed over on the hike up the highway before that will change.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
You mean the article about family that was stranded in Jasper park, because of 40 over impound on an empty road.

nah there was one about a family near the old toll booth on the coq that was left there by a cop after an impound, can't find article.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,829 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
You mean the article about family that was stranded in Jasper park, because of 40 over impound on an empty road.
What the heck are people doing driving with their family at 40km/h over anyways?

I'd suggest speed limits are a bit low for my own comfort of driving.. but +40 anywhere I'd consider a hazard - especially when the vast majority are going well under that speed.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
What the heck are people doing driving with their family at 40km/h over anyways?

I'd suggest speed limits are a bit low for my own comfort of driving.. but +40 anywhere I'd consider a hazard - especially when the vast majority are going well under that speed.

even in the middle of the coq or connector without a soul in sight(minus dudley do right hiding in the bushes)? 150 isn't that fast on an open highway. in europe people were driving 150 while tailgating 10 feet from bumpers and changing lanes. if it's in some shitbox then yea i can see an issue, but modern vehicles handle speed just fine. my truck is governed to 180 and guess where i usually hit that limiter?

1 - 20 of 133 Posts