BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I'm a new rider(just finished my course with PRS Thursday night). I am looking to get a 600cc bike and am looking at mostly mid 90s kawi zx-6s. There are quite a few on teh market right now and they range from $2500 to $5000.

I looked online and found that these bikes have a tendency to kick out of second gear under hard acceleration. Is this going to be an expensive repair and should i stay away from the bikes with this problem?

Also if a bike has a rebuilt title how little is it worth of its fair market value? just so i can have sumthin to bargain with. Mark at PRS advised all of us to stay away from rebuilt bikes and i have heard the same from lot of other riders as well because u dont kno if the bike was put bak together properly.

Sonny

R

·
0 Posts
if it pops out of second gear under hard acceleration..its because of a bent shift fork...part is cheap..labour is not...

rebuilt title - depends on what was done. If there was a scratch on the fairing and ICBC had to pay to get that fixed...its "rebuilt"

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
Ratzilla said:
...rebuilt title - depends on what was done. If there was a scratch on the fairing and ICBC had to pay to get that fixed...its "rebuilt"
not exactly...
it's only rebuilt status if ICBC wrote it off because of an accident/claim at some point, then it was rebuilt by someone (hopefully properly) and was approved to be put back on the road after an inspection.

edit: if ICBC paid to fix it, but it was never written off, that's just an accident claim on the history.

·
The Philosopher King
1,345 Posts
I have a 95 zx6C and i have never had that problem...i quite like this bike because it is comfortable and reliable (i am an all year round rider) but its still got enough push to fly when you want to

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JHinds said:
A properly rebuilt bike is just as good, just worth a bit less because of the title.
Ya cuz i remember reading somewhere(prolly on this forum) that down in California a rebuilt bike is worth like 80% less than fair value, i thot that mite be the same case here. So if the gear popping out is because of a bent shift fork that means it was caused by abuse aka hard riding, in which case I would want to stay away from that bike right?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
"rebuilt," title means the motorcycle was considered a "total loss," by the insurer.
A total loss is determined if:
1/ it cannot be repaired
2/ the repair cost exceeds the actual cash value minus it's salvage value.
There are many permeations to this, such as the Harley that is "under insured,"(by that I mean the owner decided to pay for a lower-than-market-value declared value) by the owner, and because the salvage attracts such a high amount, the "loss," to the insurer is actually quite small.
I digress. If there's a rebuilt title, it sustained damage to a higher $$ amount. That does not necessarily mean the frame was tweaked, it could be a matter of fairing damage. Consider too, the insurer would/could be obligated to replace that factory exhaust due to scratches on it, while an owner who drops his bike may decide he can "live with the scratches. These things make a difference when the insurer adds up the dollars and says "total loss."
Sometimes "total loss," bikes are repaired by the owner (who was the right to buy the salvage) and the results are, well, irregular. Some bikes are bought by professional rebuilders, and the bikes are literally, as good as they can get.

Frankly, the market is so large for the kind of motorcycle you're looking for, I too wouldn't walk away from a bike with "R" status. I'd run. There is another bike out there that doesn't have a rebuilt status.

·
Addicted to speed
237 Posts
If you have any doubts, just have it checked out by a shop. The cost is only around $50 and that is easily worth the peace of mind. I almost bought an R6 a while back, seemed fine to me but when I had it checked out the mechanic had a page long list of things that needed to be done to it. That $50 saved me hundreds, or more. If a bike is properly rebuilt and checks out at a shop, it's probably just as reliable as a bike that isnt a rebuild. But michael makes a good point I see those mid 90's ZX6's for sale a lot and you may as well just wait for one that isnt a rebuild, unless you come across a really good deal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JHinds said:
If you have any doubts, just have it checked out by a shop. The cost is only around $50 and that is easily worth the peace of mind. I almost bought an R6 a while back, seemed fine to me but when I had it checked out the mechanic had a page long list of things that needed to be done to it. That $50 saved me hundreds, or more. If a bike is properly rebuilt and checks out at a shop, it's probably just as reliable as a bike that isnt a rebuild. But michael makes a good point I see those mid 90's ZX6's for sale a lot and you may as well just wait for one that isnt a rebuild, unless you come across a really good deal.
No no its not a smoking deal at all, 1992 zx6 for $3750(however it does look nice lol) but ya for that money there are newer zx6s up to about 96 goin for $4000.

Now I am going to pose another question. Since im a new rider i just wanna get a bike and start riding. I'm sure many of you were the same. Will the bike prices come down significantly in september or so? I am trying to justify whether i should buy now or wait it out for another 4-5 months. I'm really new to teh biking scene so i dont really know how teh pricing of bikes rises and falls throughout the year.

My justification for buying now is that there will be more of a selection now than in the fall(I'm assuming that now is prime selling season).

·
The Philosopher King
1,345 Posts
A new rider buys in the summer and pays huge…an experienced rider buys in winter and waits for the season and saves huge. I bout my kawi in late January list price 3600 at dealer I paid 3000 all in…yes it makes a huge difference

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Frapps said:
A new rider buys in the summer and pays huge…an experienced rider buys in winter and waits for the season and saves huge. I bout my kawi in late January list price 3600 at dealer I paid 3000 all in…yes it makes a huge difference
I see what you're saying Frapps but there are ZX-6's(the round ones) not the square zx600c's that you can buy for those prices rite now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts