BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We met with the Ministry of Transportation last night regarding the new Gateway Program, which is a transportation plan designed to reduce the growing congestion in the GVRD. For more info please check out www.gatewayprogram.bc.ca

They are proposing a $2.50 toll on the Port Mann Bridge. They are asking for the public's feedback on this before it goes through. We have attended several of their meetings and have written the letter below on behalf of motorcyclists, as we are working to get motorcyclists exempt from this toll.

Please do your part to make this happen by taking the time to fill out their on-line feed back form at: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/gateway/consultation/_form_PortMannFeb7.htm

They must receive your input by May 7th

Thank you.

February 13, 2006

Attn: Sarah Johnston
Gateway Program
Suite 2010 - 4720 Kingsway
Burnaby BC V5H 4N2

Dear Sarah:

I was very excited to read about the Gateway Program in the Sunday edition of The Province and believe that you should be commended for your ambitious plans designed to reduce traffic congestion and get "people and goods moving again." Being a resident of Surrey and with many of our members residing in the Lower Mainland, this initiative will impact many of us greatly.

This program is very important and we feel that the government needs to look to other forward thinking cities in the world to see what techniques they are using to reduce the gridlock. Specifically, all over the world motorcycles are used as an alternate form of transportation. Motorcycles take up less space, create less impact on our roadways and are a more environmentally friendly form of transportation than the single occupant vehicle. Motorcycling is encouraged in these cities by waiving tolls on bridges and roadways, along with free parking and other incentives.

The government is willing to invest "$50 million in cycling infrastructure - the largest in the history of the province" which is commendable, but it is also very important to recognize that not everyone is physically capable of riding a bicycle and that is where a motorcycle or scooter comes into the picture. The government needs to acknowledge the benefits of motorcycles and the role that they play in reducing congestion. It's also a great time for them to invest in the role of motorcycles in traffic reduction by exempting motorcycles from any of the proposed tolls involved in the Gateway Program and any other future traffic planning programs.

We would love to work with you and find out ways to make this program even more effective. I will look forward to hearing from you.

Yours truly,

Adele Tompkins
Executive Director
B.C. Coalition of Motorcyclists

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
There are times when I cross that bridge as many as 6 times a day. Thank you for the link so I can let my feelings be known that I disagree with any type of toll.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
The proposed Port Mann /Highway 1 Project, includes twinning the Port Mann Bridge, upgrading interchanges and improving access and safety on Highway 1 from Vancouver to Langley. The project provides for extending HOV lanes to Langley, allows for transit over the Port Mann Bridge and includes cyclist facilities across the new structure. It will relieve severe congestion impacting commuters and the large numbers of commercial vehicles that rely on this route – the Lower Mainland’s primary truck route.
I dont get how this is going to fix the problem.
The highway should be 4 lanes on each side for the volume. And extend the skytrain from van-langley down the middle of the hwy while they're at it.

That would actually do something.

A toll on the bridge to add one lave(hov) is not going to do much, and possibly make it much worse short term.

Am I missing some other great ideas/projects from this? I mostly justskimmed through the pages.. . .

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
gixxer_76 said:
I don't like tolls. We are taxed to death in this province; this is just another one.
I agree, provincial income tax, federal income tax, GST, PST, Property Taxes, User Fees everywhere you look. The problem isn't that theres not enough funds the problem is the Government both Provincial and Federal mismanage the majority of our money. It would be nice if everytime I screwed up, blew all my money or did a horrible budget I could impliment a raise for myself or demand a bonus to make up for my stupidity. Another solution might be tightening my belt and restructuring my budget with the funds I already have but then again that makes way to much sense.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
So if they toll this bridge, will traffic be backed up to to Abbostford while everyone is paying the toll?

This makes no sense at all.

D

·
0 Posts
the problem with these programs is it is all done half assed.

they had the chance to do the highway expansion properly when they did the hov lanes. and they didn't. now it will cost more to add yet another single lane each way. shoulda been done with the hov lane, and left dormant.

the mayors of new west and burnaby are opposed to the projects, saying it will create more traffic on the surface routes. to me, the idea is to have a more open and accessible highway so people aren't looking for backroad routes.

a few years ago i was flying here from toronto, and sat beside a lady that was a city planning consultant. we had a really good discussion on the traffic problems of the lower mainland. she mentioned that there is only one municipality that uses a planning engineer for road building. i forget which it was. but after seeing some of the "upgrades" in an around town, i would be surprised if there were engineers involved at all.

a perfect example: the intersection of willindgon and moscrop/deer lake, just north of bcit. originally, going westbound, deer lake was 2 lanes thru, and 1 left. now it is 1 left, 1 thru, and 1 right. the left turning lane is not long enough for left turning cars to get off the thru lane. traffic is worse there than before. but the politicos can look at it and say "hey, we improved the intersection, and traffic got worse, so it's not the answer", yet if it had been done right, traffic would be reduced. there is a car width median the entire length of the road from willingdon to the next set of lights east. almost the entire thing can be ripped out and made into a proper left turn lane. the same problem exists at royal oak and deer lake. the left turn lane from westbound onto royal oak is not long enough to have left turning cars not block traffic for cars going straight thru. traffic can back up to the first corner north of the high school. that's nearly a kilometre!

pay a toll to build a bridge? screw that. why should we be paying for poor planning decisions? we pay enough in taxes to translink as it is, and they are whining for more. force them to make better use of the funds they have.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
gixxer_76 said:
I don't like tolls. We are taxed to death in this province; this is just another one.
There're going to get the money one way or another... tolls or general taxes, at least tolls will make it more user pay, which I have no problem with.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
maybe a toll might make people think twice about crossing the bridge 6 times a day, they will try to make their deliveries all in 2 trips lets say. I'm all for a toll! (Filled in the form)

·
1,768 Posts
I filled out my form.

I agree with Doug, we need more highway lanes, end of story. Dumping money into HOV lanes and cycling infrastructure and tolled highways is a waste of money, people are still going to drive their cars. With the price of real estate, people are moving farther away from their work and therefore, commuting on public transit or bicycle is hardly an option.

When I moved across the bridge, some of my co-workers said the traffic was HORRIBLE. I actually don't mind it too much. I live close to the freeway (Langley) and I work close to the freeway (Burnaby), so I've cut out a TON of city driving. Yes, the freeway backs up and sometimes stops (only for a second), but it's straight through with no lights, turns or pedestrians and you do keep moving. Commuting from Surrey/Delta to Burnaby sucked BIG time because it's mostly city driving. The straight through roads sure help a lot, and I really hate seeing more and more traffic lights being installed.

;D

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
Well its time for me to start putting some serious effort into researching tax shelters. I am &^*%ing sick of the complete stupidity of this province. tonight I am going to start my new financial plan to hide/keep my $$ from the gov't.

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
slowzuki said:
maybe a toll might make people think twice about crossing the bridge 6 times a day, they will try to make their deliveries all in 2 trips lets say. I'm all for a toll! (Filled in the form)
Thats right because people who cross 6 times a day love that bridge so much they wouldn't do it in one trip if they could. :imwithstu

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
Quasi said:
Thats right because people who cross 6 times a day love that bridge so much they wouldn't do it in one trip if they could. :imwithstu
LOL! I am starting a lynch mob, we are going to go to ottawa and start a full on riot in parliment leaving no politician left standing. Anyone in? :evilgrin

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
slowzuki said:
Whatever you are smoking I want to grow it and sell it. I'll become rich.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Quasi said:
get a better job then instead of being an 8.50 per hour parts driver LOL it's people like you that plug up that area!

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
cosworth said:
Whatever you are smoking I want to grow it and sell it. I'll become rich.
hmmm, so you like all the traffic? :imwithstu dumass

·
Bohica
2,801 Posts
i think the toll is a good idea, particularly the ones that can be collected via a sensor chip. They have proven to be an effective collection method that doesn't create traffic jams.

traffic and infrastructure suck in the lower mainland. we are way behind in our construction and planning. this project should have been done long ago and will need to be financed with such a toll. There isn't any other practical way to finance it. The problem with government taxation is real but do you really want to wait 10 more years for a project that was due 10 years ago?

Prime example of this is the airport and the airport improvement fee. That thing changed our gateway airport in an amazing way. Financing for the project was not available without the fee - look what it has done.

I agree with a motorcycle exemption due to the fact that they are such a small part of traffic. Plus they would just ride through the tolls anyway, so you might as well exclude them.

·
Je ne suis pas Francais
3,398 Posts
gixxer_76 said:
FYI , BC is the lowest taxed province in Canada

I really think that having to pay a toll is rediculous aswell , if you can't affort something then don't buy it or don't make other people pay for it.

·
Bohica
2,801 Posts
nutcracker said:
FYI , BC is the lowest taxed province in Canada

I really think that having to pay a toll is rediculous aswell , if you can't affort something then don't buy it or don't make other people pay for it.
ever think of the costs of not building the infrastructure. the lions gate was a toll bridge, imagine not having that.

How about if you can't afford it then don't cross over it. A new bridge is needed as well as road improvements. Tolling it will get it paid for by the people who use it. If it cost me $2 bux and I get a new bridge that solves some transportation issues than that's not a bad deal when you think about it. Think of the value of your time when you've been stuck in traffic, you time is worth more than $2 bux.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts