BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
I don't care about the bots ..... they are obvious so no need to read their nonsense.
just an FYI for everyone, anytime a post includes something along the lines of "I don't care about the bots" it's probably a bot. although I must admit that the bots are getting better, this one up here almost sounds intelligent.

in other news is anyone surprised that scheer is getting the boot? i imagine steve is thrilled at the interweb chatter that harper may be coming back.

Lolol. Unlike the loonie left, I’m happy to accept the will of the people, and covet limited free enterprise democracy as the least worst of all the governmental systems out there. As I see it, those that are taking us swiftly down the path of future financial instability by continuing to vote in a complete basket case of incompetence are going to be the poor souls that live by the map that they are allowing to be drawn out before us.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok , time for everyone to join hands and sing Koom By Ya ....it's almost Christmas and for one day in the year "can't we all just get along "

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
So if it's insignificant ...... why worry?
its one of those things, if you have to ask... :flip
maybe its just a play i words, maybe it matters a little more than you think; but maybe not.

in case that wasnt clear.. this site is so damn popular, it needs bots to route traffic to it. :coffee

Merry Xmas EveryOne. You can thank me later. :coffee

·
Registered
532 Posts
I test road a wr250r at Yama demo days this year. And I own a wr400 so maybe my view is skewed. But I found the 250r powerless. I had thought about possibly buying one as a dual sport but after riding it, never. Just my .02c

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,796 Posts
So if it's insignificant ...... why worry?

The same can be said for using my Tim card, my Visa, google maps, cell phone calls, socail media posts, web surfing at home and on a smart phone ....... it is the way the world operates now. Either bow out of it all or accept it.

You have answered your own question ....... they are bigger so they will get more time and money preventing bots from appearing, using whatever methods the computer types use to prevent it. The "Shed of Doom" blew up on here. It came to the attention of whoever is the present corporate overlord and they bought the show, obviously hoping for more of the same. However Dnaspark has let them down.

Any idea what the price tag would have been to buy the site?

Shed o' Doom was peak BCSB. Really one could argue that was really in the early aughts (2002-2006 or so), back in the honeymoon phase... but Shed o Doom was the shark-jump; Adam cashed out, the site was sold off to a forum-farm, and really the world moved on as the tech changed. Forum hacks and forced lockouts/resets didn't help. BCSB is all but dead. Kicked out of the house at 18years old. I don't think it will be any better in 2022.

Whyziz? Just think about it: When was the last time you sought out a forum dedicated to... well, anything? And joined it? Posted up the intro 'heyhowyadoins' ? gotten to know the 'locals' - if they're even there anymore either.

What used to be endless 'how to change your oil' style threads here - each filled with discussions and side-discussions over the merits of what-n-why... has all been replaced by subreddits (where you can duck in to any topic-focused-forum with a single login), youtube vids (direct walk-through 'tutorials' summing it all up in 10 mins or less), and the generic facebook memery.

Forums are relic of the internet of yesteryore.

BCSB is all but dead. Long live BCSB!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I regularly still join forums on anything I'm interested in. Old school shit. Lol.*

I just can't get with all the newer tech. Probably start going lower tech the older I get I think. Dinosaur......heading for extinction.*

·
Registered
2,935 Posts

·
5,465 Posts
Shed o' Doom was peak BCSB. Really one could argue that was really in the early aughts (2002-2006 or so), back in the honeymoon phase... but Shed o Doom was the shark-jump; Adam cashed out, the site was sold off to a forum-farm, and really the world moved on as the tech changed. Forum hacks and forced lockouts/resets didn't help. BCSB is all but dead. Kicked out of the house at 18years old. I don't think it will be any better in 2022.

Whyziz? Just think about it: When was the last time you sought out a forum dedicated to... well, anything? And joined it? Posted up the intro 'heyhowyadoins' ? gotten to know the 'locals' - if they're even there anymore either.

What used to be endless 'how to change your oil' style threads here - each filled with discussions and side-discussions over the merits of what-n-why... has all been replaced by subreddits (where you can duck in to any topic-focused-forum with a single login), youtube vids (direct walk-through 'tutorials' summing it all up in 10 mins or less), and the generic facebook memery.

Forums are relic of the internet of yesteryore.

BCSB is all but dead. Long live BCSB!
Yup.

Along with road and rule changes specifically making sport bikes less relevant.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Sportbikes are becoming less relevant on the street, hence sportbike specific forum the same is true. As for forums being dead, check out ADV.com. Huge.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
I test road a wr250r at Yama demo days this year. And I own a wr400 so maybe my view is skewed. But I found the 250r powerless. I had thought about possibly buying one as a dual sport but after riding it, never. Just my .02c
No doubt ...... 29 HP at the piston crown ..... not exactly a torque monster.

Still interested though.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
20 hp ,,,, at sea level, never mind at your location
Honestly, I’m just gonna hurt myself with more. I “whiskey throttled” my XR650R off of a single track into the toolies
enough that I want to avoid that again.*

I’m looking for reliable and light. It fits both of those specs. The CRF450L has a scheduled engine O/H at 32,000 km.
An Aussie rental show swears by them racking up 52,000 km on one with multiple crossings of the Simpson with no
major maintenance.
Despite having 2 KTM dealers nearby and their stellar equipment level, the reliability and maintenance concerns will
always be there. I don’t want the potential of being 90 km off the highway and 150 km out of cell range with that*
concern.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Honestly, I’m just gonna hurt myself with more. I “whiskey throttled” my XR650R off of a single track into the toolies
enough that I want to avoid that again.*

I’m looking for reliable and light. It fits both of those specs. The CRF450L has a scheduled engine O/H at 32,000 km.
An Aussie rental show swears by them racking up 52,000 km on one with multiple crossings of the Simpson with no
major maintenance.
Despite having 2 KTM dealers nearby and their stellar equipment level, the reliability and maintenance concerns will
always be there. I don’t want the potential of being 90 km off the highway and 150 km out of cell range with that*
concern.

I apologize Sikorsky, I should have stated 29hp.

That said, altitude change does affect smaller hp bikes. then there's the situation with what you are stating, simplicity. Agree. Simplicity and technically solid engineering. My version of simplicity, is:
1]Air cooled
2]carburated
3]long engine family history
4]close access to dealer parts

With that, i'm not keen on the CRF450. Too little oil capacity, too small fuel capacity, revvy engine character when you need high torque virtually off idle, revvy revs on the highway getting to your gravel road of choice, and finally, not a large aftermarket parts trail as yet.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
I apologize Sikorsky, I should have stated 29hp.

That said, altitude change does affect smaller hp bikes. then there's the situation with what you are stating, simplicity. Agree. Simplicity and technically solid engineering. My version of simplicity, is:
1]Air cooled
2]carburated
3]long engine family history
4]close access to dealer parts

With that, i'm not keen on the CRF450. Too little oil capacity, too small fuel capacity, revvy engine character when you need high torque virtually off idle, revvy revs on the highway getting to your gravel road of choice, and finally, not a large aftermarket parts trail as yet.

I’m familiar with power loss at altitude ..... see avatar. But with 29 tire shredding, ground ripping HP there is plenty to spare!*:laughing

As much of a Honda fanboy as I am, the CRF450L is a no-go for me as well. For some of the reasons you stated and for that 32k engine life. Maintenance levels approach KTM levels as well, hard pass.
I was directed to 2015 KTM690 with 5000 km that was less than a new WR. A buddy bought A similar one last summer and has several issues. I know of 2 other KTM’s that ended up needing new ECU’s, fork seals and c/s seals ...... within the first 1000 km. As sexy as those orange beasts are, I’m not willing to deal with their idiosyncrasies. *

The WR need revving*as well and will just make it to highway speeds, although the Kootenay*Pass may require patience.

Built in Japan quality and a 10 yr production run sells me on proven reliability. I would be lying if I said the thought of that wee engine being too low in power was of no concern though. But with only needing a larger fuel tank, it is ready to go ......in my books.

Decisions, decision .......*

·
Registered
6,152 Posts

I’m familiar with power loss at altitude ..... see avatar. But with 29 tire shredding, ground ripping HP there is plenty to spare!*:laughing

As much of a Honda fanboy as I am, the CRF450L is a no-go for me as well. For some of the reasons you stated and for that 32k engine life. Maintenance levels approach KTM levels as well, hard pass.
I was directed to 2015 KTM690 with 5000 km that was less than a new WR. A buddy bought A similar one last summer and has several issues. I know of 2 other KTM’s that ended up needing new ECU’s, fork seals and c/s seals ...... within the first 1000 km. As sexy as those orange beasts are, I’m not willing to deal with their idiosyncrasies. *

The WR need revving*as well and will just make it to highway speeds, although the Kootenay*Pass may require patience.

Built in Japan quality and a 10 yr production run sells me on proven reliability. I would be lying if I said the thought of that wee engine being too low in power was of no concern though. But with only needing a larger fuel tank, it is ready to go ......in my books.

Decisions, decision .......*

Decisions indeed. This particular one you will make is actually fun.
Here's an article recently about the 450 Honda:
https://advrider.com/whos-the-honda-crf450l-for/

21 - 40 of 92 Posts