BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
The local dealer is giving me a fair price on my '02 R1 on trade. I think I'll take it.

The XR650L is a stone hammer of a motorcycle. That's not meant as a slam .... it's a compliment for a reliable and simple bike. It was a consideration but the WR is a 2019 leftover so they are willing to deal.

Looking at various dyno charts, stock XR650L's run between 31 and 35 HP, between 6 and 10 HP more than the WR. Torque wise is far different. On a good day and a generous dyno the WR may get 17 lb/ft. Comparatively the XR is a tractor at 32 lb/ft.

I'll check out those links later, thanks Squished.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
so Sikorsky, enlighten me. I know nothing about dual sports. how come still carburetors?

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Perhaps not Sikorsky’s thoughts on carburetor for off-road, but for sure my thoughts. For me, it’s about the simplicity, and ruggedness of a fuel system not needing electricity. Roadside fix can easily be done. Bad fuel of a remote gas station can be dumped easily.

Air cooling is also high on my list for remote off-road or FSR riding. I’ve seen quite a few radiators get taken out when I used to off-road with my brother up in the Cultus Lake and Chilliwack Lake area. With my brothers water cooled CR500, we’d carry a length of rope, it was always used when a rad would get taken out. If you are riding alone, rugged simplicity for me is paramount. 4 day run off-road taking on the Touratech rally West last summer has given me huge confidence in my choice of not overly powerful, high torque at low revs bike. The XRL’s only negative is it’s high seat height. Every other weakness it has is either eliminated through long production run, or plentiful reasonably priced upgrades. For sure it’s not a high grade street bike, but comfortable at 115km/hr, and 155km/top speeds, which I’ve done for 15 minutes in an unnamed US state last summer, and 6 gallon Acerbis fuel tank for 375km off-road runs.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
so Sikorsky, enlighten me. I know nothing about dual sports. how come still carburetors?
That wasn’t me, I like Fuel Injection. I cannot think of the last time I had a FI related issue. And the efficiency is outstanding.

Carbs though? Love them, love the principle behind how they work but my last 3 carbureted bikes had issues. The XR650R would overflow if you looked sideways at it, the CB350/4 had to be completely re-done when I got it and the Muth designed Katana 750 was rife with fuel delivery problems. Admittedly, these were problems that were a result of wear, time and neglect. Once sorted, they ran like a dream.

I look at it like six of one, a half dozen of another.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Many offer fuel injected dual sports now. Honda, ktm, husqvarna, beta, Kawasaki, etc . *Price/development seem to be why some don't maybe? *Reliability could be argued all day but the top performing bikes for power in their class are all fuel injected IMO.*

·
Registered
581 Posts
Congrats Sikorsky on the wr250r if that's the route you're going. I wasn't trying to knock the bike, just not for me. I don't ride a ton of dirt though and when I do I just zip over to the local Mecca from home. Mostly just use it to fill in a bit of early/late season riding where street is my main focus. And still very much about the performance. I was very tempted by your r1 for sale ad. *Still would love to upgrade my f4i to a gsxr750 or a litre bike one day. And I ride off road with that mindset too I ring the neck of my old wr400 at times and really enjoy the power I still do some trail stuff with it but nothing to technical and it is a bit of handful at times I'll admit.*

I'm sure you'll have a blast on the wr250r. *

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Congrats Sikorsky on the wr250r if that's the route you're going. I wasn't trying to knock the bike, just not for me. I don't ride a ton of dirt though and when I do I just zip over to the local Mecca from home. Mostly just use it to fill in a bit of early/late season riding where street is my main focus. And still very much about the performance. I was very tempted by your r1 for sale ad. *Still would love to upgrade my f4i to a gsxr750 or a litre bike one day. And I ride off road with that mindset too I ring the neck of my old wr400 at times and really enjoy the power I still do some trail stuff with it but nothing to technical and it is a bit of handful at times I'll admit.*

I'm sure you'll have a blast on the wr250r. *
I know a guy who was hot for that R1. Too far away I guess. Didn't know it was sikorsky's.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
No offence at all Squisher. I'm looking at an exploring bike that is light and reliable. I've learned thru trial and error (lots of error) that my enthusiasm far outweighs my skill level ..... unlimited sick days or not, the wee bike should mitigate the damage. It's the dual purpose 250R, not 250F.

I had a lot of emails from a fellow in Penticton but it didn't happen. And some Craigslist clown from Richmond who kept offering $1600 or $2000 cash. I would block him but still received emails. I finally said "yes" to the $2000 offer and told him to meet me in Merrit. He was too smart to fall for that.

If your friend is still interested, it will be at Peak Performance in Cranbrook. Decent dealership, good brand selection and not a mega-store like other places.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I had a few dual purpose bikes over the years, my fave being a mid 80s klR 250. It was very capable on and off the highway. They only sold them in Canada for a short time. Replaced it with a kawasaki sherpa 250 many years later which was not so great.

The yammy specs out better than the competition Japanese wise. There's lots to be said for lightweight especially off highway. I was looking at the honda 250 last winter but local dealers are take it or leave it and forget about trading up.

·
Registered
581 Posts
In all fairness I didn't get to try the wr250r off road. Only on road ar the yami demo days. So maybe if I'd been able to hit the trails with it I'd have enjoyed it more. My wr400 is a bit of a pig at times when the going gets technical but tins of power and plush suspension. Obviously not street legal.*

I never contacted you on the r1. *I wouldn't have unless I was prepared to buy. But I did think it was a good deal.*

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I almost pulled the trigger on a plated WR400 with supermoto and dirt wheels a few years back. Glad I didn’t ..... I would have been a total jerk on it.*

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Shed o' Doom was peak BCSB. Really one could argue that was really in the early aughts (2002-2006 or so), back in the honeymoon phase... but Shed o Doom was the shark-jump; Adam cashed out, the site was sold off to a forum-farm, and really the world moved on as the tech changed. Forum hacks and forced lockouts/resets didn't help. BCSB is all but dead. Kicked out of the house at 18years old. I don't think it will be any better in 2022.

BCSB is all but dead. Long live BCSB!
agreed.. i have no real problem with the O.G. cashing out when, but the new overlords suck monkey ballz.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Well in other news a spambot bumped a Dirty Bill thread so that's good news.

Out here in bugtussle we've had a stupid amount of snow. Saw some folks on the Hwy with bikes/snowdog kits but haven't seen any tracks in the backcountry. It's all side by sides leaving a mark.

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Out here in bugtussle we've had a stupid amount of snow. Saw some folks on the Hwy with bikes/snowdog kits but haven't seen any tracks in the backcountry
what is this snow you speak of? its all flower shirts and a pair of shorts here in the lower mainland.. LOL

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Well in other news a spambot bumped a Dirty Bill thread so that's good news.

Out here in bugtussle we've had a stupid amount of snow. Saw some folks on the Hwy with bikes/snowdog kits but haven't seen any tracks in the backcountry. It's all side by sides leaving a mark.
Bill Van Slewen, miss that guy. Great rider, entertaining around the beer table.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Bill Van Slewen, miss that guy. Great rider, entertaining around the beer table.
I always wondered what that guy’s name was. Couldn’t stand him ....... personal threats, drunken rants and slander aren’t the way to endear yourself to someone.*

A group of us went on a multi-day trip with him one time. If I remember correctly his boozing and attitude were the reason he was ditched on the last day.*

Now SilverD ..... that was a gentleman. He is a guy I miss.

What was the name of the guy that died pretty well a year after his girlfriend did ...... she organized rides from her family's restaurant and the boyfriend had a Hayabusa.*

·
track hack
2,002 Posts
I always wondered what that guy’s name was. Couldn’t stand him ....... personal threats, drunken rants and slander aren’t the way to endear yourself to someone.*

A group of us went on a multi-day trip with him one time. If I remember correctly his boozing and attitude were the reason he was ditched on the last day.*

Now SilverD ..... that was a gentleman. He is a guy I miss.

What was the name of the guy that died pretty well a year after his girlfriend did ...... she organized rides from her family's restaurant and the boyfriend had a Hayabusa.*
Bog... and Julia.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts