BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Bill did get a bit off the deep end in his later years, he suffered badly with medication related to his fight with hepatitis 3. Not really an excuse, but i understood the situation, and just stood back and watched.

Bog passed away 1st i believe, rode over his ability IMO. A shame, he tried hard to assemble a riding group. I remember 20 odd years ago, my brother and I were heading to Laguna Seca for WSB or Moto GP, forget the race. We were on ancient at the time old airhead Beemers, and were at the start of the lost Coast Hwy, at Ferndale, California. Bog and his group passed us enmasse on an unchallenging straight stretch on 211 just before Ferndale. We quickly collected them, painfully easily I might add, once on the Lost Coast, they were holding us up worse than a class A motorhome. The group collectively did not accept this intrusion on their clear technical advantage, and gave pursuit. Soon, in the rear view mirror they disappeared, we thought to stop and observe the magnificent views along the coast shore on that road. it wasn't until a great day through "Leggett Express", at our booked hotel at Fort Bragg, while unloading our stuff, that we watched Bog's group limp into the parking lot, complete with chase vehicle carrying their stuff, and a thoroughly destroyed sportbike wrapped in tape holding the plastic together. Strong unfriendly glances our way gave us clear indication that this 'off' was on the lost Coast whilst running the pace against rickety 50hp airheads loaded with 2 weeks of stuff for camping. A sensitive issue even to this day, when brought up amongst former members of Bog's sport bike group.

·
lover of twins
6,066 Posts
Bill did get a bit off the deep end in his later years, he suffered badly with medication related to his fight with hepatitis 3. Not really an excuse, but i understood the situation, and just stood back and watched.

Bog passed away 1st i believe, rode over his ability IMO. A shame, he tried hard to assemble a riding group. I remember 20 odd years ago, my brother and I were heading to Laguna Seca for WSB or Moto GP, forget the race. We were on ancient at the time old airhead Beemers, and were at the start of the lost Coast Hwy, at Ferndale, California. Bog and his group passed us enmasse on an unchallenging straight stretch on 211 just before Ferndale. We quickly collected them, painfully easily I might add, once on the Lost Coast, they were holding us up worse than a class A motorhome. The group collectively did not accept this intrusion on their clear technical advantage, and gave pursuit. Soon, in the rear view mirror they disappeared, we thought to stop and observe the magnificent views along the coast shore on that road. it wasn't until a great day through "Leggett Express", at our booked hotel at Fort Bragg, while unloading our stuff, that we watched Bog's group limp into the parking lot, complete with chase vehicle carrying their stuff, and a thoroughly destroyed sportbike wrapped in tape holding the plastic together. Strong unfriendly glances our way gave us clear indication that this 'off' was on the lost Coast whilst running the pace against rickety 50hp airheads loaded with 2 weeks of stuff for camping. A sensitive issue even to this day, when brought up amongst former members of Bog's sport bike group.

This is something that makes zero sense to me as there's no reason for people to let their ego get the best of them and put themselves in danger to boot. If someone passes you then they either have more skill or more insanity and trying to give chase is nonsense. If they have more insanity then you could end up riding through their wreckage and if they have more skill then you could become wreckage. I guess it's different when you're younger, but people really need to focus on riding their own ride and not worrying about trying to keep pace with others. In a mixed bag group my experience is that there will always be a better riding who's willing to give a bit of time to help newer riders along and make sure that everyone gets where they're going safely.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
This is something that makes zero sense to me as there's no reason for people to let their ego get the best of them and put themselves in danger to boot. If someone passes you then they either have more skill or more insanity and trying to give chase is nonsense. If they have more insanity then you could end up riding through their wreckage and if they have more skill then you could become wreckage. I guess it's different when you're younger, but people really need to focus on riding their own ride and not worrying about trying to keep pace with others. In a mixed bag group my experience is that there will always be a better riding who's willing to give a bit of time to help newer riders along and make sure that everyone gets where they're going safely.
Well said. Yep, ego can be a real killer. Let the hotshots go and live to ride another day.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've seen it first hand when I was younger. Watched a guy ride right off the road in front of me. He had a faster bike than me and was passing me on every straight and then I was repassing in corners and when I couldn't I was pushing on him hard. Young and dumb. I felt pretty bad, it's a image I'll never forget. We got lucky the guy lived and was able to walk away rashed and bruised, bike was totalled. Was on hwy6 still in cherryville area. *Ever since I've been very conscious when riding with others not to push people or feel pushed myself. *Easy to get caught up and let ego creep in, gotta stay mentally on top of it.*

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,784 Posts
I seem to recall hearing* (from a friend who was on that fateful ride) that it was an over-eager noob riding well beyond his level, trying to keep up, that clipped bog's backwheel and set those unfortunate events in motion.

... always took that as a great argument against courting unknown noobs along for rides -- the real stranger danger!

but of course *I* wasn't there, so what the fuck do I know :p

·
lover of twins
6,066 Posts
... always took that as a great argument against courting unknown noobs along for rides -- the real stranger danger!
Yeah most people I know tend to keep their riding groups fairly closed these days for a number of reasons - that one included. It is nice to do a larger group ride, but same rules still tend to apply, most people will know each other or at least one other person in the group.

·
track hack
1,992 Posts
My rides are split between two types the past few years - either my pace which tends to be spirited, or the total opposite and I chill with a newbie and offer help - somehow I can't get happy with any middle ground.

Ride like my hair is on fire or a newbie wobbling around smelling the daisies.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
*Ride like my hair is on fire or a newbie wobbling around smelling the daisies.
Hair on fire ...... love that saying!

I recall a group ride at one SBW Rally. After our little group had done a solid 3 or 4 days of increasing cornering angles and honing skills on the way there, we were ready to rock ‘n roll.

We got ourselves situated at the front of the group, ready for a fun and spirited ride. Some people with Alberta plates shoehorned themselves in there as well. Silly flat landers, this wasn’t going to work out very well for them!*

I don’t think we were 3 corners in before I realized I was in the deep end of the pool and I was not happy at all! We didn’t embarrass ourselves too much and had a good talk with them at the north end of the ride. We all agreed to and head back from Penticton along Green Mtn Rd. Turns out the group of Albertans were Calgary Race City track rats. I have made a lot of poor decisions while motorcycling ..... fortunately I made the right one that day.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
My sister/bro in law just bought a place in Penticton. Gonna get acquainted with Green Mtn Rd a lot more than usual the next few years. Last time i went down there, with a group of 10, I was second in line, the guy in front lost his front going over that little bridge, heading south, skidded across and down the road, stuffed the bike under a big tree. Took all 10 of us to pull it out.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Turns out the group of Albertans were Calgary Race City track rats. .
Let me guess Peter Holzinger and company ? Yup hooked up with them in Rock Creek to Kelown leg.....I think the cops are still scratching their heads over that one.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Let me guess Peter Holzinger and company ? Yup hooked up with them in Rock Creek to Kelown leg.....I think the cops are still scratching their heads over that one.
*Not sure, didn’t get their names. There was an eastern euro girl on a Kawi of some kind. Two old cats were on a VTR1000 and a Blackbird. I tried passing on the exit of a downhill right hander on Hwy 3. I was on the RC51 at the time. Ended up washing out both front and rear tires, skidded across my lane, the uphill passing lane, the uphill slow lane and onto the paved shoulder ...... somehow managed to stay upright but not thru any skill, pure luck.**

My sister/bro in law just bought a place in Penticton. Gonna get acquainted with Green Mtn Rd a lot more than usual the next few years. Last time i went down there, with a group of 10, I was second in line, the guy in front lost his front going over that little bridge, heading south, skidded across and down the road, stuffed the bike under a big tree. Took all 10 of us to pull it out.
Bail off Bridge? Just before you rejoin Hwy 3? Been close to taking that line myself!

When I look back, I’m surprised I made it this long. **

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Didn’t know it had a name. The bridge is quite short, wood deck, and is actually in a corner, a left corner heading south. Pretty tricky if your running good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Clearly in new here, but I thought there would be more action on this site given that there are a lot of riders in BC. Is there a bike night on the lower mainland? What about the Fraser Valley? I'm not much for group rides but thought it would be nice to get out and maybe find a few people that like a moderate pace and hopefully a track day or two if the stars aligned for me financially.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Just revived a pic of my custom CBX from the Vancouver Bike Show on display there.....Glad someone is showing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Congrats, and good seeing you at the show, just too bad we didnt get to chat.

I think a bike/pub night is in order for a bunch of us, especially in light of those recent events.

·
Original Pirate Material
1,063 Posts
Congrats, and good seeing you at the show, just too bad we didnt get to chat.

I think a bike/pub night is in order for a bunch of us, especially in light of those recent events.
Ditto. Next couple of weeks for sure, been a long time coming. Also a great opportunity to brainstorm future adventures!

61 - 80 of 92 Posts