BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in Fort McMurray for 8 months and lately it's been between -5 and -10 when I go riding. I'm having trouble kick starting my 2002 RM125. Everytime I try to start it in the cold I have to pull the plug, let the chamber air out and then it starts with maybe 5 kicks.

I'm trying to understand why this happens. I've started closing the fuel line before the end of my ride and running the bike a bit to take some fuel out of the carb, but it doesn't really help. Since I store the bike in a heated parkade, could the remaining fuel in the carb be vaporising overnight, drifting into the cyclinder and then turning back to liquid as I drive out to the trails? My idle is set pretty high. And I'm buying pump gas which I'd assume is winter gas so it has a lower vaporization point... But if this was the case wouldn't every car parked underground also flood the engine?

Any ideas would be great as its annoying to pull the plug every ride and I don't like kicking too much.

PS: Yes I pull the choke out.

·
Addicted to speed
237 Posts
warm it up before you load it into your truck, it'll fire pretty easily once you offload it I imagine

·
Registered
181 Posts
since its cold when your unloading. you could try a differnt spark plug. my bike did this the other day. brand new plug didnt work, but a old plug from a driffernt bike worked just fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Check for air leaks in the intake system.Also pull off the stator cover and see if it's wet with fuel in there.If that seal leaks air it can cause a hard start problem.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Could be you need a good tune up/carb cleaning......when I ice race we have no problems starting bikes even at -20....except for the time when some guys brought up flat track and speedway bikes (big 4 strokes)...the oil froze and we had to put a camp stove under them

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll try cleaning my carb first.

Bill: I'm using Amsoil at 44 to 1 and 10w40 in the case.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
That's all right . Some guys run Bean oil and in the cold especially it seperates like salad dressing. All you have is pure oil in the bottom of the carb,.

Do what George said clean the carb , also pull off the reed cage while your at it and make sure there not bending up

·
Registered
16 Posts
did you find a cure?

From my experience with 2-smokes, the jetting can screw up everything. My 2cents is that the cold temperature is affecting the jetting (both main and pilot jets). I'm guessing the jets are way too lean for below zero air temp. Since temperature and altitude are the biggest factors affecting the right jetting (or air pressure).

Let us know if you have fixed the problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah problem solved. It was a two parter...

1. New piston and rings. The compression was a bit low.

2. On the carb fuel intake, the needle's spring holding it onto the float had some how slipped or stretched and was in the wrong position. It was only half working, and my bowl was only 1/2 full resulting in problems getting gas to the cyclinder. Why my bike was starting after pulling the plug is just luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts