BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about the effects and costs involved if i were to try to go up a couple of teeth in the rear. How much is a rear sprocket, do i neeed a new chain? How does this affect my speedo, and i've heard of getting a special speedo adjuster to fix it but how much does this cost and what is this thing?

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
hahahaha whats this for? easy wheelies? givin up on stock gearing already? hehehehe :) :laughing :laughing

you'll need a yellow box from from blackrobotics.com to fix the speedo.... oh wait.... hmmm.... you dont have a digital speedo.... I think it only works with digital speedos... hmmm.....

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
You'll need a new chain unless your tension adjuster is almost at the rearmost position already. If it's well back you might *just* get away with it.

And yes it'll affect your speedo. How much? You can calculate it by (No. of teeth now +2)/ (no. of teeth now)= % error that speedo will read faster than you are really going.

Prices? Who knows. Call the parts guys and ask for a quote. I just trade my bikes in before they need new stuff like this..... :rolleyes

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yes you will need a yellow box to correct the speedo problem $100 US. And it is 300 bucks for the following...

2 hard anodized aluminum sprockets +2 teeth in the rear
520 gold chain conversion.

Thats what i got quoted from bill at 5th Gear in white rock. He even said he would install it for free with no labour charge, ya gotta like that. I will be doing it within a month or 2.

Oh and if you change one sprocket you have to change both and usually the chain too if you want it to wear properly and not decrease the lifespan of the chain and sprockets.;)

follow this link and it will show the compatability of it and which bikes it works on. You dont have to worry though ;)

http://www.blackrobotics.com/compat.htm

·
Registered
379 Posts
The front and rear sprockets have been changed on my bike. I don't know about your bike, but for my 98 RR, the speedo is driven directly off the crankshaft, and I couldn't find any company that offered gears to rectify this. So needless to say, my speedo is quite off. I found out that it was off when I took my road test on it. :mad I failed for going "too slow"...bastards.

Anyways, it gets really bad especially at higher speeds. I usually hit 280km/hr down hwy 91 each morning, and I know that I'm nowhere near going that fast :D

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The yellow box works on your bike man. Problem solved. It hooks up directly to the speedo sensor and modify's the signal to the speed correcting it for what ever kind of sprocket mod you have. It gets it as accurate as within 1 tenth of a mile per hour. ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aaagghh! don't spend hundreds on a yellow/black box! just go to caps or any other bicycle store and buy a sigma computer for about $40. it will measure kmh, distance, top speed for the ride, and average speed as well (I think). you measure the circumference of your tire and enter that info into the computer. easy as pie to instal too! besides, your stock speedo wasn't that acurate to begin with.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
A bike computer is the cheapest way to go, but the display is a bit small, no? And can you see it when riding at night?

Where does the odometer fit into this equation? Does it read off the same input as the speedo? If so, the bike computer won't help you there.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, the display is small, but there are different sizes I believe. it also depends on where you mount it. I know a few people with them and they have never had a complaint. maybe they make an indiglo one for night riding? I only mentioned it as a cheaper, and more acurate, alternative.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts