BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 GSXR 600. I took it out of the garage to start it today and it wouldn't fire. It would turn over just not fire up. Any ideas? This is my first bike and I have no idea what is wrong or how to fix it.

Jamzz911

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
-Make sure the gas tank has enough gas.
-Make sure your kill switch is off
-Make sure you're in neutral
-Makes sure your choke is on
-Make sure the battery is fully charged. Even if it's turning over now, it will turn over a lot faster with a full battery and that will make the difference.
-Try starting it with the kickstand up.

That's the easy stuff to check for.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's a 2000. no choke on fuel injected bikes.
if it's turning over, the kill switch is fine.
if it's turning over, neutral won't be an issue
if it's turning over, the kickstand won't be an issue.

the kill switch, neutral, and kickstand (and the clutch too) all have safety interlocks on them that will not let a bike turn over if they are active. if the bike is turning over, the interlocks are not malfunctioning.

if it is turning over fine, it's not the battery. if it sounds laboured in cranking, it is the battery. try charging it and see if it helps.

download the service manual from the sticky post in bike tech and mods, and go over the basic troubleshooting.

you could have a fuel delivery problem, a fuel pump problem, or a spark problem. you could simply have very stale gas.

while trying to start the bike, does the FI light come on? if so, you need to get the code out of the system and that will help you troubleshoot the problem. the steps to do this are shown in the service manual. where it says "use special suzuki tool" replace with "paperclip".

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jamzz911 said:
I just bought a 2000 GSXR 600. I took it out of the garage to start it today and it wouldn't fire. It would turn over just not fire up. Any ideas? This is my first bike and I have no idea what is wrong or how to fix it.

Jamzz911
Charged the battery fully sounds the same turns over just not enough to fire. It is cold as hell here right now not sure if that could be the problem. The oil gauge is lit up and the temp gauge. I think I should maybe just wait until the warm to start worrying....yes no. There is gas in it just not sure how much, should it be full for the winter...?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
jamzz911 said:
There is gas in it just not sure how much, should it be full for the winter...?
Hell ya it should be full!!! Might be condensation in your tank. It will get rusty, clog your fuel pump.

·
Registered
401 Posts
doug said:
it's a 2000. no choke on fuel injected bikes.
if it's turning over, the kill switch is fine.
if it's turning over, neutral won't be an issue
if it's turning over, the kickstand won't be an issue.

the kill switch, neutral, and kickstand (and the clutch too) all have safety interlocks on them that will not let a bike turn over if they are active. if the bike is turning over, the interlocks are not malfunctioning.

if it is turning over fine, it's not the battery. if it sounds laboured in cranking, it is the battery. try charging it and see if it helps.

download the service manual from the sticky post in bike tech and mods, and go over the basic troubleshooting.

you could have a fuel delivery problem, a fuel pump problem, or a spark problem. you could simply have very stale gas.

while trying to start the bike, does the FI light come on? if so, you need to get the code out of the system and that will help you troubleshoot the problem. the steps to do this are shown in the service manual. where it says "use special suzuki tool" replace with "paperclip".

This is your best advice, but it will have a choke. Suzukis 600 wasn't injected till 2001.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
drain the tank and put in fresh gas, also change the plugs.

·
Get to da choppah!
1,133 Posts
I have no experience with Gsx-r's, but if there's a fuel switch, make sure it's actually turned to the on position?

·
Gear whore
2,922 Posts
GSXRBUbba said:
This is your best advice, but it will have a choke. Suzukis 600 wasn't injected till 2001.
even the 2001 generation had a high idle switch.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gotter going thanks boyz. Not sure what it was i think its about half full though think I should fill it to be safe....

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
k_vist said:
I have no experience with Gsx-r's, but if there's a fuel switch, make sure it's actually turned to the on position?
exactly what I was thinking. catches me out sometimes on the little bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts