BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

2001 F4i Engine Rattle

12K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Squisher 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I know that the F4i's have a know issue with the CCT making rattling noises, but I am not too sure if this is the noise I am hearing or not.

What is happening with my F4i is that when my bike is in neutral and I rev the engine up to around 5-6k there is no sound..but when I release the throttle, that is when I hear a rattling noise.

Is that the problem with the CCT I keep hearing about?

any help would be greatly appreciated. I've only been riding for about a year, and just starting to get to "know" my bike.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
:rockon

#4 · (Edited)
all CBR 600's do that....not sure about the newer RR's

During idle with the clutch out it will sound like a rattle inside the engine. It has something to do with the clutch plates... not to worry.:rockon That was the first question I asked when I bought my 02 CBR 600

Your CCT will begin to annoy you with that rattle around 4 -5k during revs and riding... When it really starts to chatter, best get it replaced. I may do mine this summer.

#5 · (Edited)
I am sorry to resurrect an old thread, especially considering this is my first post. However, Pete_Wong's problem in this thread is 100% to the T exactly the issue I am having with my 2001 F4i. So I figured I would create an account to see if he could respond to tell us if changing the CCT worked?

The reason I'm concerned enough to make an account and ask this question is because the mechanic is somewhat baffled because the CAM chain and CCT seem to be fine(to him.) So I figured before I had him tear down the entire engine and spend a bundle of money I would help him research the issue.

This CCT problem seems to be the likely culprit, however, the nature of my issue is slightly different then the rest of the descriptions I see. Mainly, much like Pete_Wong, when I rev the engine to 5,000ish RPM the motorcycle sounds great, but when I release the throttle it makes a chain tapping, clattering noise until it passes down passed about 4500 RPM and then every thing sounds great again.

Also, the bike runs just fine, no issues at all, just this odd sound at this RPM band and only on deceleration. In fact, if i left off the throttle in this specific 4500-600 RPM band, quickly accelerating(twisting throttle) past 6,000 RPMish makes the sound of clattering, chain tapping, go away too.

So, Pete_Wong did the CCT solve your issue? Help us google searchers out! I got to this site through a simple google search. This was probably the 4th or 5th website I came across. Might help someone in the future with this odd problem that is only slightly different then other descriptions of CCT problems. The similarity to CCT issues seems to be related to the noise happening at a specific rpm range and going away afterward. Anyway!

Save me some money, please!!

:D

#6 ·
Does your mechanic know that the cam chain tensioner is hydraulically actuated? These types of tensioners don't work so well when the cam chain stretches past a certain point. Put a manual tensioner in. It's a super cheap mod. You shouldn't have a hard time finding one. And don't be too concerned about the chain being stretched. The effect on timing is so small you don't need to worry.

#7 ·
Not sure, I didn't have the knowledge to ask. It almost seemed like the mechanic was a little bit put off by me telling him what we should do. Lol. I just figured I'd rather spend $100 to potentially solve the problem before I let him tear down the engine and end up spending a lot more.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the OEM or the manual CCT on this issue though. You think the manual one would be better? Would a new OEM CCT solve the issue, at least for a while?(Until it possibly fails again?)

The mechanic didn't think the CAM chain was stretched either. Of course, he could be wrong and he may have just said he checked it. ;P

#10 ·
What is happening with my F4i is that when my bike is in neutral and I rev the engine up to around 5-6k there is no sound..but when I release the throttle, that is when I hear a rattling noise.
Question: How many kilometers on it? Could be that besides a CCT issue, the cam chain is actually worn out. Take it to a mechanic you trust.

Edit: Did not notice age of Pete Wong's original post. Same question for CBRDOOD.

#11 ·
Apologies for reviving an old post. I revived it because it came up in a Google search about the problem I am having. Pete's problem, back in 2008, is exactly the same issue I am currently having for the same year/make of bike. The issue is somewhat unique in that it only makes the sound on deceleration/release of throttle in neutral/gear at around 5,000 RPM.

My bike is at 12,100 miles. The mechanic I have the bike with says the CAM chain looks fine. Honestly, the mechanic is somewhat baffled as to what was causing it. We discussed the CCT as being a possibility and decided to start by replacing the CCT before doing anything else.

So back to my original question, if Pete replaced his CCT and the problem went away, that's great. My bike should be fixed soon, if this is the case. However, if he did something else to solve the problem, it would be great to know what he did because he was experiencing the same problem I am now.

In neutral, or in gear, if I rev the engine everything sounds/performs great, but when I release the throttle, and lower the RPM, the bike makes an odd sound around 5000ish RPM. It sounds like a clattering, tapping, slapping, chain type of sound. The problem then corrects itself once the RPMs hit a certain area(like 4500RPM) and then the bike sounds good again. There's no performance issues, the bike purrs when sitting in neutral. Just that funky sound on deceleration.

:tredmill

#12 ·
Sorry didn't know that my old thread was revived.

I replaced the CCT on my F4i and it solved the rattle.

I brought my bike to RMS to get it fixed. Cost me around $198 at the time. Unless things have changed for the better, I would not bring my bike back there. When I first brought my bike in, they said it would take 1 week for the part to come in and they would call me when it came in. I don't blame them for that. 1 week goes by, no call, so I decided to call them. I was then told that the part came in 3 days ago but they still haven't fixed it yet but they will get to it. 2 days wait no call back so again I call them. Again, bike not fix, they haven't even started working no it yet, no explanation. I wait another 3 days before I called again and still bike was not fixed. I had to call Kramer from PRS (he recommended me take my bike to RMS) and told him whats going on. He made a call and I got my bike back 2 days later. So all in all, it took 2 weeks for it to be fixed. I was charged for 4 hours labor so I'm not sure why it took 2 weeks. I believe they were short a mechanic at that time but still no excuse to keep my bike for that long when the part was in stock.

If I had any problems with my bike I would still ask Kramer or any of the guys at PRS for their advise. 4 years after taking the course they still remember who you are and still willing to give you great advice.

...sorry for the rant.

Good luck with your bike!

#13 ·
/relief

The funny thing is that our scenario is almost identical! The problem is exactly the same. The reason I wanted confirmation was so that I would have some leverage when explaining the issue to the mechanic. They wanted to tear down the entire engine @ $60 an hour with a maximum of 12 hours.(Just labor) So I told them I would call them back the next day. This is when my search for a solution began. In my search I came across this posting. I was surprised to find that there was one person with the exact same type of issue. The other CCT issues were slightly different, or at least it was difficult to get a good understanding from the descriptions I was reading.

Now, here we are almost 2 weeks later. They ordered the part yesterday or today(hopefully) and supposedly it will be installed next week. Other than the time frame, it feels good to know that the bike will be fixed.

Thank god I didn't let them tear down the entire engine. That would have been a nightmare. lol Thanks for responding to this, I'm sure this post will solve other people's problems as well.

:rockon Thanks Pete!

#18 ·
New here an I have fallowed this through google research on my CBC 600 F4i I did have the rattle noise on my bike, installed manual tensioner like everyone advised an I still have the rattle on deceleration now no longer at idle does that mean I just have to tighten the CCT more by alittle bit to get rid of the rattle on deceleration

#19 ·
Possibly. I had a ape pro manual cct on my f4i and it certainly was able to rattle a bit on decel while still quiet at idle if set slightly to loose. As I recall if it was set to tight it would make a real whirring sound. Are you adjusting yours by hand? Id tighten it a bit more from what you're describing and try it. Should pretty much eliminate cam chain noise when set right keeping in mind that inline 4's are kind of noisyish motors at the best of times. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.