Discussion Starter #1
Ok it is mileage contest time agin.

Rules:

1. You must register no earlier than April 1st, 2006

2. You can register anytime up to August 1st

3. Contest ends March 31st, 2007 for year round riders, and

4. Contest ends November 1st, 2006 for our fair weather friends

5. Yes you could win both contests

6. I will pay for the submission costs of one IBA ride for each winner.

You must provide to me the paperwork ready to submit no later than May 1st,
2007 and after November 1st, 2007.

Your IBA ride must occur during the riding contest period.

If you have proof of submission I will refund your cost.

7. Our Club Code is BCSB when you register on the site

8. Enjoy yourself and be careful.

9. Link to register yourself http://www.mileageslaves.com/register.htm

·
Addicted to speed
237 Posts
Just signed up, the odo at about 9600 taking in account the rides I've gone on in the past few days....may the rider with the most kms win....obviously

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
Is this still going? I wonder why it got the sticky status only after 2 posts?

I got my new bike in Oct., started odo from 0. Now I've put more than 20,000km. I think that Cyco has put more km, but not sure if we make per year average.

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
dunno, but I've done almost 10,000k on my "new" gixxer since I got it at the end of June :rockon Probably did about another 10,000 on the F4i since about march.

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
One year ago this month, I bought my current bike new. I've put more than happy 36,000km since. It's like 100km per day?? Wow. And in a couple of years, my bike will go almost worthless?

·
Registered
18,870 Posts
One year ago this month, I bought my current bike new. I've put more than happy 36,000km since. It's like 100km per day?? Wow. And in a couple of years, my bike will go almost worthless?
You're one of the few who get's their money's worth with a bike.

With regular but minimal maintenance and frequent oil changes, these bikes are capable of running into 6 digits.

Not many examples of it, because lots of sportbikes don't make it past the city limits.

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
With regular but minimal maintenance and frequent oil changes, these bikes are capable of running into 6 digits.
At 36,000km, I'm due replacing air cleaner element, oil, oil filter, coolant, radiator hoses and O-rings, and spark plugs.

I've been following the maintenance schedule on my manual, just in case I need to use the warrenty, but now warrenty is over. I feel that some of them, like coolant and radiator hoses change every year with my pace of mileage a bit excessive. I also had 5thGear inspected valve clearance at 24,000km, but I feel it's excessive too to do it every year.

I know the maintenance done according to the schedule and its record will give more to the resale value, but most buyers are turned off by high mileage anyway, I'm not too sure if I should continue following what the manual says.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
At 36,000km, I'm due replacing air cleaner element, oil, oil filter, coolant, radiator hoses and O-rings, and spark plugs.

I've been following the maintenance schedule on my manual, just in case I need to use the warrenty, but now warrenty is over. I feel that some of them, like coolant and radiator hoses change every year with my pace of mileage a bit excessive. I also had 5thGear inspected valve clearance at 24,000km, but I feel it's excessive too to do it every year.

I know the maintenance done according to the schedule and its record will give more to the resale value, but most buyers are turned off by high mileage anyway, I'm not too sure if I should continue following what the manual says.

I would follow the manual as practically as possible. Things like hoses are more age dependant and the manufacturer probably assumes that to get to 30,000km those hoses have been exposed to a few years of UV and hot/cold cycling. On the other hand, valves and spark plugs are more mileage dependant so I would be more inclined to stay on schedule for some of the mechanical bits.

A couple years ago I put 25,000km on my DRZ in one 12 month span and really only changed the oil, adjusted the chain, replaced filters, plugs, etc. all the simple stuff. And by the time the odometer hit 39,000km the following year the bike was at 5th Gear getting a total rebuild. The bike was running fine and sounded fine until just before the end, but in hindsight I should have been sticking to the manual on some of the obvious mileage dependant maintenance items. :)

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
A couple years ago I put 25,000km on my DRZ in one 12 month span and really only changed the oil, adjusted the chain, replaced filters, plugs, etc. all the simple stuff. And by the time the odometer hit 39,000km the following year the bike was at 5th Gear getting a total rebuild. The bike was running fine and sounded fine until just before the end, but in hindsight I should have been sticking to the manual on some of the obvious mileage dependant maintenance items. :)
What item(s) did you neglect according to the manual, and what exactly went wrong?

Simple neglect causing serious damage only after less than 20,000km or so, I suspect the cause was something else other than neglect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well. I have 75,000 Km on my 2008 KLR 650.
Dirt, Sand, Snow, Ice, and more slab than I dreamed possible.
Fantastic continental cruiser.
:)

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
Well. I have 75,000 Km on my 2008 KLR 650.
Dirt, Sand, Snow, Ice, and more slab than I dreamed possible.
Fantastic continental cruiser.
:)
Holly cow! Any pics of your odo?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts