BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
I am having trouble following your complaint Remy. The R1 design change is soooo subtle. I feel Yamaha got cold feet about changing the look of the R1. They exposed the mufflers a bit and changed the side panels so they are more in line with the new R6 look from last year. The frame and some of the other casting work that has changed is so just not in your face that you have to look hard to notice the change.

I was hoping that they were going to redesign the tail so it looks visually lighter like the 2006 R6. Seems to me like they were playing it safe as they know the 04-06 R1 was a solid design so why break something that isn't broken.

Anyway I was hoping they were going to have the gonads to do something radically different with the look.

G

·
I personally miss the clean lines, I think it looks too aggressive. But other then that, I think it will kick ass performance wise.

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
I am having trouble following your complaint Remy. The R1 design change is soooo subtle. I feel Yamaha got cold feet about changing the look of the R1. They exposed the mufflers a bit and changed the side panels so they are more in line with the new R6 look from last year. The frame and some of the other casting work that has changed is so just not in your face that you have to look hard to notice the change.

I was hoping that they were going to redesign the tail so it looks visually lighter like the 2006 R6. Seems to me like they were playing it safe as they know the 04-06 R1 was a solid design so why break something that isn't broken.

Anyway I was hoping they were going to have the gonads to do something radically different with the look.
you have a problem with my complaint..thats fine... but i think it is ugly the new front end, i dont care if they change the whole thing, im just stating that they way the changed it is ugly lol. weather they change it or not doesnt mater, if it is ugly it is ugly

G

·
you have a problem with my complaint..thats fine... but i think it is ugly the new front end, i dont care if they change the whole thing, im just stating that they way the changed it is ugly lol. weather they change it or not doesnt mater, if it is ugly it is ugly
Personal opinion right ? I personally think it looks way to aggressive and not sleek enough, again it's my opinion. I used to be in love with the 2000-2001 R1 Headlights.. mmmm

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
I'm not keen on the new look either. Just that subtle change takes the good away from last years model.

·
I am the liquor
798 Posts
I'll wait to see more pics of the new R1 before I pass final judgement on it, but I'm not too crazy about the changes from those pics. A new R1 design would be an all or nothing affair, go big or go home. I love the look of the 04-06 R1, I think it is almost perfect except it would be better with a belly exhaust like the R6. Looks like they decided to go small and screw with the lines, oh well.

I do like that 07 R6 though, an improvement from last year, most because of that new grey/titanium paint scheme which looks great. If they have that color scheme for the R1 then it might redeem itself.

The specs for the R1 should be interesting too. Yamaha will have to do something radical to catch up to Suzuki, but it doesn't look like it. A slipper clutch for the R1 is almost required, but if that clutch pic is from an R1 then it's just another regular one.

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
The specs for the R1 should be interesting too. Yamaha will have to do something radical to catch up to Suzuki, but it doesn't look like it. A slipper clutch for the R1 is almost required, but if that clutch pic is from an R1 then it's just another regular one.
I guess we will have to wait for the road tests. The computer assisted adjustable air intakes are either going to be the thing that brings this bike up to the GSXR or prove its just a bunch of marketing hooey like their claimed 180 horsepower with the 04 R1 when it first came out.

I'm sittin on an 04 R1 and I would be hard pressed right now to trade in my present ride to upgrade to this machine unless it proves to be a radically different beast. Sure doesn't appear so.

Guess I could buy a VSTROM.

·
I am the liquor
798 Posts
I looked at the website, fly-by-wire, slipper clutch, that's good to see. And that "charcoal silver" paint is turning me around. It might be a sweet new R1 after all, I'm looking forward to meeting it in person now.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
My Two Cents

maybe im a noob here, i love the design,

panels coming out give better aerodynamics, low swing arm keeps you from scratching the hell out of it when you shift in and out of corners, though i'm sure thats not a problem with such sick power drive by wire will [email protected]!

yup, noob, an' i love the future too!! hah!!

·
Unregistered User
418 Posts
i think the new r1 looks like a witch with a big big pointy nose..

the last fairing design looked more like a raptor.

G

·
lights are identical for 02 r1 ,prob actually are old stock .lol ,its not like they fuked anything they just went the cheaper ,quicker route.

looks like the old one with a bit of r6 in the sides ,bigger ram air ,,not much to see.Boring

·
Livin' la Vida Loca
957 Posts
i think the new r1 looks like a witch with a big big pointy nose..

the last fairing design looked more like a raptor.
guess witch is which?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts