BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Pricing just released in Europe, equivalent to slightly over $20k CAD, available in June.
Chia, doing a Euro to Canadian conversion has never been accurate when a new bike is introduced. It is best to see what Yamaha Canada will charge, if they do bring it in.

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
Chia, doing a Euro to Canadian conversion has never been accurate when a new bike is introduced. It is best to see what Yamaha Canada will charge, if they do bring it in.
Fair enough, but given the feature set, I would guess that it would not be that far off anyway.

It's priced higher than a base GS1200, which in 2009, was almost $17k Canadian.

It doesn't much matter, with no talk of Canadian or US availability, it's just for fun anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
bmw prices

I think the bmw 1000rr is way underpriced in US/Canada vs other models. $15/18K for the RR vs $26K for the HP2?? GS1200 cost amortized over 30 years of similar models production, even 80 years of similar design. A totally new design for$10K less. BMW wants some of the market in a bad way. IMHO they must be losing money on each bike sold. The more they sell the more they lose? Helps that the head of BMW is Bike nut. I am even thinking of buying one!!

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
The bike shown is the Special Edition model, fully loaded.
As per their web page:

For 2010 the Super Ténéré is only available as a special ‘first edition’ version, including a thrilling adventure pack. This is only available through online reservation starting at the beginning of March.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I like the R1 look to the front, and although black is not the best colour for keeping clean, it sure looks nice.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Man, Yamaha should really get their shit together and bring those bikes over here.

Of course, at double the price of a V-Strom, it might be a tougher sell, but if it's better offroad and more 'adventure' focused, it'd be competing with the 990 Adventure & 1200 GS. And therefore right in the ballpark price wise.

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
The aluminum side cases, the underbelly crash guard and the headlight cover is ostensibly "thrown in" in the 1st year intro of the bike. Next year they will be extras according to the video.

Yamaha could have a hit with this bike but they shouldn't wait several years before bringing it over here as they did with the FJR and other bikes. The peaked interest in adventure bikes could disappear by then.

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
The aluminum side cases, the underbelly crash guard and the headlight cover is ostensibly "thrown in" in the 1st year intro of the bike. Next year they will be extras according to the video.

Yamaha could have a hit with this bike but they shouldn't wait several years before bringing it over here as they did with the FJR and other bikes. The peaked interest in adventure bikes could disappear by then.
While I agree, it would be great to have it here, I think the category is pretty young, and is picking up speed.....I see it as a huge growth potential for the industry.

Lotsa baby boomers, with money, who don't want to be crunched up a sportbike, but want comfort, performance, and quality.

Like all things we do in Canada, it will be slow, but bikes like this, from a budget minded Vstrom or Versys to these and the Beemers, makes a whole lotta sense from both a manufacture's and buyer's standpoint.

Think of all the 3rd party support in the way of farkles for bikes like this....it's outta this world. And whether these or similar bikes ever see a gravel road is not important...it's an image, and the fact that they can if they wanted.

It's great see some of the performance oriented specs, like USD forks, ABS, traction control, adjustable fuel maps, all that crap that's been making it's way to the sportbikes, and proven to be beneficial.

I just hope some of the Japanese manufacture's start to shoot for bikes like the new Multistrada, that offer high performance, comfort, long suspension travel, and light weight to the mix.

As much as I think this new Yamaha is cool, I'd take the new Multi if I had the choice.....hooligan adventure bikes, that what we need!!!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
While I agree, it would be great to have it here, I think the category is pretty young, and is picking up speed.....I see it as a huge growth potential for the industry.

Lotsa baby boomers, with money, who don't want to be crunched up a sportbike, but want comfort, performance, and quality.
I would argue that the 1150 GS that came out in 2000 is the bike that started the category on its way to popularity. (Its predecessor has been around since 1980 but not in the SUV sense) That is now at least 10 years old and the clear sales leader (GS) has been around long enough for others to redefine or clone. Yamaha must be watching the North American market to judge the sales merits of bring the Super Tenere over.

I do agree that it has been Boomers with cash that has accelerated this market segment. They make excellent touring bikes and if you travel much you notice many of them are set up this way.

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
I would argue that the 1150 GS that came out in 2000 is the bike that started the category on its way to popularity. (Its predecessor has been around since 1980 but not in the SUV sense) That is now at least 10 years old and the clear sales leader (GS) has been around long enough for others to redefine or clone. Yamaha must be watching the North American market to judge the sales merits of bring the Super Tenere over.
I didn't say that the Yamaha started anything, clearly they are following.

But, while Beemers have been around a while, and the GS is the top selling bike in their lineup, the category has not been that mature.....from a mass appeal standpoint.

Adventure type bikes have been somewhat of a niche market, being brought to the masses by bikes like the Vstrom.....people who like the "image", but don't want to spend the big bucks to get it.

Now that these types of bikes are becoming more mainstream, the merits of their abilities as a non adventure bike are also becoming more recognized.

I mean, I bought the Strom with no intention of going off road.....in fairness, it's not a super capable off road bike anyway.

I bought it because I really enjoyed the functionality, comfort, versatility, and fun to ride factor.

Bikes like this just make a lot of sense, especially for riding in this part of the country.

Would I Like the same package with much better suspension, 100+hp, same weight or less and at a reasonable price....hell ya....and I think we're going to start to see a trend going that direction over time.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts