BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering an upgrade for my 2004 DL1000. The upgraded DL1000 has everything i want and i found a used one for a good price, but then was looking at the Tenere and see there are some low mileage bikes out there for about the same price (US bikes). They are a couple of years older, but that shouldn't matter. I am not adverse to importing a bike if i can get a better one for similar cost.

I have ridden the VStrom, but not the Tenere. I read the Tenere has some vibrations. Not sure if that is true of all model years of this bike.

The bikes have similar features with the Tenere having shaft drive VS chain.

Is the shaft drive a better option?

Thoughts?

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,262 Posts
I liked shaft drive on my K1300S. Feels a little different from chain, but not in a bad way. Not having to lube a chain on long trips is a big plus, but it can be costly to service.

I don't know much about these specific bikes, but cast vs spoked wheels stands out as a big difference. If you mostly stick to tarmac, vstrom's cast wheels would be a better choice. If you plan lots of lengthy trips off road and away from civilization, spokes may show their benefit.

Realistically, I'd ask this question on advrider.com. There are more guys with experience with both bikes on that forum.

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts
The Vstroms have a MUCH MUCH more loyal following, so mods, farkles, and probably resale are going to be better.

I would have to assume you could buy a pretty loaded, almost new Strom, with full luggage and farkles
for quite a bit less than an equivalent and older S10.

If that does not matter to you, I would suggest riding the 2, and making the choice solely on that.

If you do much off-road, I think the S10 is perhaps a bit more capable, but then again, the rider's skill plays
as much of a role comparing these 2 bikes.

I have not ridden the new Vstrom 1000, but have ridden the S10.......the Yamaha is pretty peppy, but I here the
new Strom is a more refined machine. Yes, the S10 has vibes, it's a parallel twin so that's par for the course.

Chain vs shaft......meh, never found a chain any issue or real maintenance personally.

The S10 is heavier, I think in and around 70+ lbs.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
I will be following this...looking at a Yamaha the other day, waiting for a nice day to do a demo ride...and as much as I hate to say I might be also looking at a cough cough...er um...V strom...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are far more VStroms around than Tenere, that's for certain.

I was also considering an ST1300, but that is another chunk of weight more than the Tenere, and it is exclusive to road riding. Still nice looking, and there are some good deals around.

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts
There are far more VStroms around than Tenere, that's for certain.

I was also considering an ST1300, but that is another chunk of weight more than the Tenere, and it is exclusive to road riding. Still nice looking, and there are some good deals around.
What specific type of riding do you do, and enjoy the most?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the idea of a bike that can go to the end of the road, and keep going, so a road exclusive bike does not appeal to me. Too limiting.

I want an upright position because i travel long distances and need comfort, but i also want to have fun in corners, so it needs decent power. The 1000 seems about right, but either side of that works too. Not much interest in a cruiser or a sportbike.

I rode an FJR once and loved it, but the leg position does not work for me, too cramped, so i think a sport touring bike is out, although i wonder if i might get used to it over time and maybe there are highway bar options. I really loved the look of the Ninja 1000 and flavors of that.

My VStrom fits me well with highway bars, lowered pegs, raised and pulled back handle bar and Russell Day Long seat, but i do still get sore shoulders and neck after a few days on the road. Ergonomics are nearly there. I haven't figured out how to resolve that to date.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am sorta in the same prediciment, looking for another bike for this spring. Was really looking for a long distance dual purpose like a Vstrom to get back into some back road riding and doing some camping. I am able to take off for up to a month during the summers and just go ride :) . But wondering if I would be just as happy touring on a Ninja 1000 and enjoying every corner that comes my way. I haven't ridden either bike yet so I guess i get to go on some test rides this spring. And now I see the FJ-09 is coming out, and at that price I could afford to do some suspension work to it and have a great bike (I think). I have ridden to FZ-09 and loved it, just need a different seat for long distance.

Almost bought a BMW F800GS but decided I didnt want to spend a bunch of money just in time to store a bike for winter. And then I see Sikorsky's 990...... really tempting!! But I also want something the wife can ride comfortably. We will be doing lots of day trips in the Okanogon on the Gixxer and whatever I decide to buy. So with that in mind as I write this, I think it is between a Ninja 1000 and an FJ-09..... but the Vstrom still looks good too, decisions decisions!!

BTW, good luck with your decision Bug!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I am sorta in the same prediciment, looking for another bike for this spring. Was really looking for a long distance dual purpose like a Vstrom to get back into some back road riding and doing some camping. I am able to take off for up to a month during the summers and just go ride :) . But wondering if I would be just as happy touring on a Ninja 1000 and enjoying every corner that comes my way. I haven't ridden either bike yet so I guess i get to go on some test rides this spring. And now I see the FJ-09 is coming out, and at that price I could afford to do some suspension work to it and have a great bike (I think). I have ridden to FZ-09 and loved it, just need a different seat for long distance.

Almost bought a BMW F800GS but decided I didnt want to spend a bunch of money just in time to store a bike for winter. And then I see Sikorsky's 990...... really tempting!! But I also want something the wife can ride comfortably. We will be doing lots of day trips in the Okanogon on the Gixxer and whatever I decide to buy. So with that in mind as I write this, I think it is between a Ninja 1000 and an FJ-09..... but the Vstrom still looks good too, decisions decisions!!

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Have the ability to take time off, and would really like to spend some time camping, and getting away longer distances. I'm a smaller guy, and i've taking several long looks at the Hyperstrada. Its pretty compact, but i find its the right mix of sportiness and (very) light off road ability for me. Was really down for the FJ-09 when it was announced, but wasn't as in love with it when i saw it in person. Also got a little turned on by both that 990 Baja and the 990 SMT that were advertised on here, but i'm just not quite ready to pull the pin yet. If i'm really feeling frisky in the spring, i'd like to spend some time looking for a used 2012 and up Multistrada, but not sure if i want to go that deep down the cost of ownership rabbit hole....

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts
I like the idea of a bike that can go to the end of the road, and keep going, so a road exclusive bike does not appeal to me. Too limiting.

I want an upright position because i travel long distances and need comfort, but i also want to have fun in corners, so it needs decent power. The 1000 seems about right, but either side of that works too. Not much interest in a cruiser or a sportbike.

I rode an FJR once and loved it, but the leg position does not work for me, too cramped, so i think a sport touring bike is out, although i wonder if i might get used to it over time and maybe there are highway bar options. I really loved the look of the Ninja 1000 and flavors of that.

My VStrom fits me well with highway bars, lowered pegs, raised and pulled back handle bar and Russell Day Long seat, but i do still get sore shoulders and neck after a few days on the road. Ergonomics are nearly there. I haven't figured out how to resolve that to date.
You will be very hard pressed to beat the Vstrom 1000 based on the above......comfort with a good seat, awesome. Leg room, awesome....most all else is a compromise.

·
Original Pirate Material
1,068 Posts

The Ninja 1000 sucks for two-up, the pillion seat is tiny and your partner will be hating you for any type of long distance ride. S10 is a great bike from what I've heard but it's a total pig. Also, as Chia said, you're looking at a significant weight difference between it and the vstrom. Just get a vstrom, you know you're in the market for fog lights, gps mounts, and hi-viz ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Ninja 1000 sucks for two-up, the pillion seat is tiny and your partner will be hating you for any type of long distance ride. S10 is a great bike from what I've heard but it's a total pig. Also, as Chia said, you're looking at a significant weight difference between it and the vstrom. Just get a vstrom, you know you're in the market for fog lights, gps mounts, and hi-viz ;)
The wife will never be a passenger, she rides. Looking for something she can be comfortable riding also as we will probably end up buying another one of which ever bike I buy. She has always ridden sport bikes, but we are looking at more comfort for long distance. She doesn't work and we want to be able to just get on the bikes and go places on my 9 weeks of vacation now that the kids are out of the house. And ya, the big V is looking pretty good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts