BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I still don't understand why they just don't do a giant heroin fest... at least the city is on board with that.

weed is for 13 year old kids... fuckin' sad.

·
Registered
18,857 Posts
The city shot itself in the foot by not just allowing it to continue at the art gallery so they didn't have two sites to contend with.

At the end of the day, these expenses are a real piss in the pan budget wise, so I'm not even sure why anyone cares.

What was the cost to the city for dealing with the Stanley Cup Riots?

What was the cost to the city for the Olympic games and terrorism concerns?

$150 grand.. honestly, who gives a shit.

·
Registered
510 Posts
exactly. Isn't mayor moonbeams 'discretionary' fund notably larger than this 'massive expense'?? Seriously, whats the taxpayer expense for a legal, sanctioned, city endorsed event like the pride parade or the Sun run? And what happens when reefer is inevitably legalized provincially/federally? Then these expenses are totally fine and not 'newsworthy' like they are the last few years?

·
Registered
18,857 Posts
Exactly.

The city should put some numbers together on what additional revenue they had that day.. but of course, they do not.

Vancouver already reaps significant tax income from legalized medical weed facilities. In time, they are going to be making
tenfold that as the stuff is made available to any citizen who wants it.

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
The city shot itself in the foot by not just allowing it to continue at the art gallery so they didn't have two sites to contend with.

At the end of the day, these expenses are a real piss in the pan budget wise, so I'm not even sure why anyone cares.
THIS!! 150 geez i'm falling asleep... and i'm damn sure it aint the Sativa ;) :coffee

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
The city cares because the organizers were very clear that the event was happening and they weren't getting the permits. Kinda like when you tell your kid "don't do that" and they say "or what?". The powerlessness of the city was exposed so they try to tarnish the event with the cost.

But on the other hand... Ms. Emery going on about how it was a "protest" to justify lack of compliance is bs. Pot is basically legal, what exactly is your protest? It's a festival.

·
9,052 Posts
The event itself is pointless! There were minor crimes committed, medical incidents, garbage, bla bla bla ....no different than any other large gathering. But, if these idiots think that a big smoke in like this drives a political agenda, they are dreaming. Its pointless. Everyone "gets it", stop being so damn proud of it.

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
The city cares because the organizers were very clear that the event was happening and they weren't getting the permits. Kinda like when you tell your kid "don't do that" and they say "or what?". The powerlessness of the city was exposed so they try to tarnish the event with the cost.

But on the other hand... Ms. Emery going on about how it was a "protest" to justify lack of compliance is bs. Pot is basically legal, what exactly is your protest? It's a festival.
This is exactly right and why people should and do care about something that is a tiny relative expense. It's the total fuck you to people's sense of natural justice and fair play. Personally I think we round up every idiot traffic cop who thinks he's Donny brasco and let em loose with truncheons on these fuckers.

I still don't understand why they just don't do a giant heroin fest... at least the city is on board with that.

weed is for 13 year old kids... fuckin' sad.
And this is exactly why we shouldn't care. It's not the fact that it's a puny expense, it's that we let way worse shit slide 365 days a year. There's illegal pot shops run by gangsters openly operating everywhere in van. What the actual fuck.

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
Festivals of any type should be crushed! :rolleyes
My only opinion on pot is it should have been treated similarly to alcohol from the start. Frankly; I have far less concerns regarding potheads than I do chronic alcoholics, drunk drivers and cell phone addicts.

As far as the $150,000; please provide a breakdown of those costs. My intuition tells me the vast majority if not virtually all of those funds would have been spent that day regardless. It's part of the costs of having a vibrant city with public events. It's not as if they're all called in on overtime from their days off.
I'm guessing the food vendors in the area were thrilled with the results and not a single smashed window, brawl, violent takedown or overturned car.

·
Registered
300 Posts
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-420-costs-1.3588591?cmp=rss

Super glad I don't have to pay property taxes to pay for this gong show. Anyone who voted for Mayor Moonbeam, well, just take it up the ass buddy!! LOL.
For those of us who don't understand this issue in detail, can someone explain how the blame for this falls on Gregor Robertson?

After all that I've read (including media coverage prior to the event) I got the impression that this bs falls on the Marijuana activists.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
For those of us who don't understand this issue in detail, can someone explain how the blame for this falls on Gregor Robertson?
It doesn't, people just like saying "Mayor Moonbeam" and trying to make the point that those of us who live in one of the most desirable cities in the world should somehow envy those who don't.

Personally I am glad to live in a city whose government doesn't send in the police with truncheons over some annoying but relatively harmless event.

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
Personally I am glad to live in a city whose government doesn't send in the police with truncheons over some annoying but relatively harmless event.
the Pride parade is annoying but relatively harmless. It is legal.
illegal activities that are ignored and allowed by the government aren't harmless. either the law applies, or change the law.
no different than trying to base tax evasion prosecution on economics of what you are likely to recover. That's not the point.
I suppose we could reserve truncheons for the drug enforcers that ply their trade in the DTES. The pot people could be dispersed by forced hair washing.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts