BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Ride For Doug - Sunday June 5th - 10th Annual

Ride For Doug is an annual fundraiser ride for Muscular Dystrophy. Over the first 9 years, we’ve raised over $150,000 for Muscular Dystrophy Canada.

But that isn’t why you should come this year. This year is the 10th Anniversary of Ride For Doug. 10 years of bikers showing up to go on a ride for and WITH Doug. Doug is 13 years old this year, and Ride For Doug is the highlight of his year.

If you've never been on this ride, it's a great one. Not only are the roads first rate, but Doug is still able to ride with us. He is only 13 years old, but the love of bikes runs through him as much as you or I. Once you've ridden with him, you'll never be able to think of Muscular Dystrophy the same way.

The ride takes the approach of "Sportbike roads, at a cruiser pace". We take a 200km route through some of the finest motorcycling roads in Langley, Abbotsford, and Mission. We end up at a BBQ dinner to celebrate the ride, and win some door prizes.

Date: Sunday, June 5th 2016
Ride Leaves: 1:00 pm
BBQ: 5:30pm
Fee: $20 includes both ride and BBQ

Watch the official website for registration details: http://www.ridefordoug.com

Departs and Returns to:
South Langley Church Lot - 20098 22nd Ave, Langley, BC

Over the first 9 years of Ride For Doug, you have helped to raise over $150,000 for Muscular Dystrophy Canada. This money has supported research, and funded equipment for Muscular Dystrophy patients. Thank you.

This year (2016) we have a special project. Doug needs a stair lift so that he can continue to move from floor to floor within his own home. He is still walking, but stairs are proving to be a barrier to getting up and down. A stair lift will move Doug from floor to floor, giving him back his independence. A wise man once told me – “If you remove the barrier to access, you remove the disability for that time and place”. Help us remove Doug’s Muscular Dystrophy – at least on the stairs.

The other option is to continue to donate to Muscular Dystrophy Canada – as we have across the years. MDC continues to support valuable research, and provide programs and equipment subsidies for kids like Doug. Both of these options make a real difference in the lives of kids with Muscular Dystrophy.

If you can't make it out for the ride - join us for the BBQ (by donation). This year we have LIVE music.

Please feel free to spread the word by copying this message to other riding groups. You can also find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RideForDoug, or on twitter at @RideForDoug

Photos of last year's ride can be found at: theresawiebephotography.pass.us/ridefordoug2015/

See you there!

Ride For Doug 2016 Poster Small.jpg

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a reminder that the ride is on Sunday. Looked like a hot day, so I have ordered 18 flats of water. Live band this year too. Special guest guitar on one song...

If you register before tomorrow night, I'll have your registration package pre-printed for you and you won't have to remember your plate number and name when you sign in...
http://www.ridefordoug.com/pre-register-now/ <---- boy Doug looks young in that photo...

·
TeaBagger
542 Posts
I'm all signed up, I sure hope a large group comes out.

I might even dress like a pirate just to make things more fun regardless of the weather.

·
Foreign Devil
1,795 Posts
My wife & I will be there, not sure if it's our 5th or 6th time!
BCSB'ers, find me, if we stick together maybe we can divert a bit and do a few more twisties!
(If Doug will allow us!)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife & I will be there, not sure if it's our 5th or 6th time!
BCSB'ers, find me, if we stick together maybe we can divert a bit and do a few more twisties!
(If Doug will allow us!)
You'll have to check with Doug. :) He'll have final say.

Happy to have you back!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a link to the results - some of my thoughts on the day, a survey and HUNDREDS of ride photos. If you came, your bike is probably in here. (Note - if yours is the dirty dual sport, we almost photoshopped it out...)

Results Summary, Survey, and Photos

Please - if you have EVER gone on a Ride For Doug - fill out the short survey. RFD is doing a 10 year re-evaluation of it's structure and focus. We need to hear from you on what worked and what didn't.

And to those of you who rode with us - THANK YOU!!!!

(pass this along to anyone you know who came to the ride. I don't have email addresses for many of you)

·
TeaBagger
542 Posts
Great pictures, ya I had the dirty dual sport that day as you can see me in the start of the arrivals gallery with the Hi-Vis shirt over my gear on the KLX250S.

Had a great ride, met Doug & Family, Brad & Paul on the GROM's and got to talk with Rob from Holeshot who I haven't seen in a some time before that, I usually get one of his other coworkers taking care of me.

To everyone else I met I'm sorry I can remember your face but not your name but you are all awesome people for being there on that day.

Next ride, I'll wash the bike first just for you. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts