BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new 2018 Suzuki GSX S1000 ABS last year and i am looking for suggestions on a few parts for it.
1. Shorty brake levers, i have so far really only found the Hotbodies MGP brake and clutch set.
2. I was originally interesting in getting the small sport windshield direct from Suzuki but i am not sure at all if it would make any difference whatsoever. There are also so many different options out there that it makes it quite difficult to choose from. I also do not want a full windshield as i still want to keep the sleek look of the bike.

Those are the two main pieces i am looking at but if anyone has any suggestions for things i should maybe get for this bike please feel free to let me know. This is my first real sport bike so to speak as i just upgraded from an 83 Honda Magna.

Lastly any suggestions for mods please keep in mind i would like to maintain the factory warranty, so please no suggestions that will cause that to be void.

Thanks, i look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shorty break leavers look nice but I would suggest a full length lever, pazzo levers most likely make a set of either for that bike....(I could be wrong its been awhile).

Any wind screen is better than none imo.. Unless its some tiny little useless thing then it falls under esthetic upgrade (if you like that look). Most screens take a bit of wind off your chest but I find they also make the air turbulent going past your helmet so its a bit of a trade off.

If you want to add a little fun factor to the bike I would suggest going down 1 tooth on the front chain sprocket if you like wheelies..not that a litre bike would need much help in that department.

Also, steel braided break lines are the first must do mod for myself. Helps with brake fade and gives a less spongy feel during hard breaking.

If you want poser points then fender eliminator, bar end mirrors and of course some stickers for added horsepower are all cute little add-ons.

I usually worry about performance mods over esthetic ones. All depends on what you own your bike for. Some people like go fast bits, some people want to look good at Starbucks... Both are acceptable reasons to farkle the shit out of your bike.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Nice bike. I'm on my second CB1000R, so I'm plainly a fan of upright naked versions of litre bikes!

A screen makes a huge difference in comfort over a day, especially on more open roads when speeds get up above around 140kph. I had a National Cycles screen on my previous SV650 (functional, but finicky to mount); then a Skidmarx on the first CB (also reasonable, but smallish); and now the MRA touring screen on the present bike. The MRA is by far the best quality; by far... The size is very effective. Mounting is easy and flexible, plus the support struts aren't as problematic to the 'naked' look as I thought they might be... and the clear screen kinda disappears...

IMG_1036 (2) by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_1042 (2) by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_1038 by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_1040 (2) by Don Serl, on Flickr

·
Registered
306 Posts
Lever length is totally rider preference. Myself? I dislike long levers because I 2 finger brake with my trigger and middle finger and the unused length would pinch my ring finger and pinky. On the other hand, you have ex-racers like Alastair Fagan who curse shorty levers (I've seen him mention it multiple times in his vlogs).

There's an interesting vid on the MotoGP Youtube channel where they poll the MotoGP racers about their braking technique. I was really surprised by the variety! It was a healthy mix between 1 finger braking (either trigger or middle) and 2 finger braking with my combo or using the middle and ring finger together. Clearly, if you need your ring finger then you'd need long levers because shortys wouldn't extend far enough.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
L

There's an interesting vid on the MotoGP Youtube channel where they poll the MotoGP racers about their braking technique. I was really surprised by the variety!
I suspect that with all that variety, that there isn't a single MotoGP rider using shorty levers.....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Curiosity is killing me here so I had to do an image search. Brake levers in the MotoGP paddock seem to range all the way from relatively short to full length.

·
Registered Abuser
21 Posts
I would suspect that thumb brakes are the shortest levers out there.*:angel

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
I suspect that with all that variety, that there isn't a single MotoGP rider using shorty levers.....
this is what i'm thinking as well, i ran fake shorty levers for a while but after suffering carpal tunnel syndrome, never again.

I really enjoy proper long levers now and i cant believe how much more control i have over braking.

its such a huge difference i really couldnt care less what MotoGP riders wanna run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts