BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,216 Posts
I'll stick with my 14r. Best looking of the uglies.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's interesting to me that one of the comments I read about the new 'busa is it doesn't dethrone the zx14? Seems like a miss if you are launching a new gen?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It's interesting to me that one of the comments I read about the new 'busa is it doesn't dethrone the zx14? Seems like a miss if you are launching a new gen?
That is odd. They mentioned trying a turboed 6 cyl in the video. Now that would have gotten attention.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
here's an interesting view of the history and progression of hyper-bikes over the past 30 years:

Reactions: Squisher

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I'll stick with my 14r. Best looking of the uglies.
I’ve got to admit, the 14R Kawi startled me when I got to ride one 3 yrs ago. The strongest bike is ridden before that was an original unregulated new Huyabusa. The ZX14r’s casualness at how it expressed ability to dislocate my shoulder joints unless I used my knees, rear and everything to stay on it, in the first 3 gears startled me. Previous to that I’d ridden a 1st Gen ZX14 and was told to short shit to the unregulated 4th gear, thought that was pretty cool! The 14R is still the Alpha Male Apex Beast in my books. My 61 yr old hockey/racquetball knees are the only reason it’s not my go to bike for touring at this point. And as for aesthetics, it exited the wind tunnel looking nicer than any of the ‘Busa’ models IMO.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A zx-14 hurt my feelings a bit last year out on hwy6. They are impressive bikes for sure. One of my most fun rides of the year happening upon that fellow.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
A zx-14 hurt my feelings a bit last year out on hwy6. They are impressive bikes for sure.
:LOL: I know what you mean. I got 'shown the way' westbound on Hwy 6 quite a few years ago by a fellow on an FJR. It's the rider, not the bike! He was kind enough to give me hand signals where he reckoned I ought to slow my entries, more or less riding single handed, and pulling away from me. I was imprssed!

BTW, they aren't quite 'hyper bikes', but the FJR 1300 and the Concours are close. Both are exceptionally fast, stable, and comfortable. Here's a (rather unwise) fellow showing 274 kph on an FJR...

Reactions: Steve G.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fjr's are pretty quick for certain. I will say my fz1 with some work done to it now is no slouch. I know hwy6 very well and the fellow on that zx14 must've too because at first I was worried he was going to eat it so I didn't want to push on him into corners, that quickly turned into just trying damn hard to keep up with no chance of pulling a pass on the fellow. I'd never ride tight onto a stranger regardless of pace anyways, I like my space and respect others.

One hundred percent the rider as you say. And as everyone says the street is not a racetrack. East of cherryville gets pretty isolated though......

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I must be the only one who thinks zx14s are ugly as hell. Besides, who needs one of these behomeths when the latest generation 1000s are beautiful, light, and rocketship powered.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,216 Posts
I’ve got to admit, the 14R Kawi startled me when I got to ride one 3 yrs ago. The strongest bike is ridden before that was an original unregulated new Huyabusa. The ZX14r’s casualness at how it expressed ability to dislocate my shoulder joints unless I used my knees, rear and everything to stay on it, in the first 3 gears startled me. Previous to that I’d ridden a 1st Gen ZX14 and was told to short shit to the unregulated 4th gear, thought that was pretty cool! The 14R is still the Alpha Male Apex Beast in my books. My 61 yr old hockey/racquetball knees are the only reason it’s not my go to bike for touring at this point. And as for aesthetics, it exited the wind tunnel looking nicer than any of the ‘Busa’ models IMO.
I put on rearsets to help with my knees, and you could always also put on a concourse seat to gain an extra inch in height, which can make a huge difference. I've also got 1.25" bar risers too. It's only after a very full day of touring and canyon carving that gets my knees sore on it now. I love the refined feel of this motor! It's a jet engine, but very gentlemanly! And really, there is no replacement for displacement. I've been on an H2SX, and that's a super nice bike, but honestly, I preferred the naturally aspirated feel of the 14r. Everything on that bike is effortless, except super tight technical stuff. The tighter the more effort required to wrestle the beast around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts