BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

damn, that's a good looking bike! them frikkin Italians really do have a sense of style, eh?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
From the side i find it just looks like a KTM 790/890. Overall i find it really bland, and lacking any of the personality of previous versions.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,833 Posts
shit ain't been quite right ever since they ditched the trellis frames... this is just plastic nonsense

Reactions: Steve G.

·
track hack
2,017 Posts
Easily the best looking naked bike on offer right now.

KTM - polarizing, angular, insect-like headlights - terrible OEM color choices.
Kawi - hideous H2 nakeds - no redeeming features esthetically.
Honda - well, is Honda - no real nakeds to speak of but the ones they have are boring.
Suzuki - not in the game.
Yamaha - only real competition for Kawi's ugliness from their entire MT lineup, special nod to the MT10 for it's gag-worthiness.
Aprilia - outdated, terrible color choices as per usual but overall a decent looking bike in the Tuono.
MV - well this new Monster looks similar to their literbike naked - decent but not as clean as this new Duc.
BMW - S1000R is a mid-pack bike in the looks dept - slightly better now that's it's revised over the pre-'21 Gen's.

This new Monster has more power, weighs 40lbs less, and the proportions are bang on, colors great, and are a WAY better looking option over the Streetfighter.

I've never understood the appeal of a steel trellis frame as a styling feature unless you're a geometry nerd who likes the nostalgia of 1980's technology.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,833 Posts
I've never understood the appeal of a steel trellis frame as a styling feature unless you're a geometry nerd who likes the nostalgia of 1980's technology.
sure, the current iterations have all the funky knobs and dials, it slices, it dices, .... yet through that process, they've clearly moved away from 'the classic lines' that defined their styling,... a general comparison could be made to the heyday of classic cars - sure they've got the traction control and the in-dash smart TV to play commercials while you're stuck in traffic... but it's widely accepted that they "don't make 'em like they used to". Age must be getting to me. IMO, this is just another soulless tupperware toaster, one that you happen to sit on. burnt toast just ain't my taste, and this shit just fell on the floor jam-side down

·
track hack
2,017 Posts
sure, the current iterations have all the funky knobs and dials, it slices, it dices, .... yet through that process, they've clearly moved away from 'the classic lines' that defined their styling,... a general comparison could be made to the heyday of classic cars - sure they've got the traction control and the in-dash smart TV to play commercials while you're stuck in traffic... but it's widely accepted that they "don't make 'em like they used to". Age must be getting to me. IMO, this is just another soulless tupperware toaster, one that you happen to sit on. burnt toast just ain't my taste, and this shit just fell on the floor jam-side down
I totally respect that POV and I freely admit I've always prioritized function WAY over form.

Overall this bike will be greatly improved with increased reliability, increased service intervals, increased performance, decreased emissions, better safety features, and it's actually gone down $100 in MSRP over the last model. It's "better" in objective criteria, but we all know that beauty, eyes, beholders, yada yada...

Strictly basing it on looks, I also prefer it over the previous Gen's but I recognize it's global appeal to so many and the fact that it spawned the entire genre of naked bikes - no argument there.

·
lover of twins
6,092 Posts
I don't know why these things never come stock with bar end mirrors and a classic big round headlight, it would really improve the looks of these bikes imo. The nice thing about the headlight is you can have that classic look while still filling it with modern tech for better night vision. They could/should make it auto-leveling to boot. Overall it's not bad imo, but it doesn't really push any buttons from an aesthetic sense.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

a shed-load more commentary and a raft of photos. lust burns within me!

not to mention 40 pounds lighter! (y) (y) (y)

·
backslider
11,236 Posts
buy yourself one for Christmas !!! ;-)

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Ultimately, views on visual things, in this case motorcycles, are subjective, personal, independent, and variable. There's no such thing as the "Best Looking Bike", but ultimately there is the "Most favorite Motorcycle", and this can be realized by genuine sales or lack thereof of each machine. Followed in later years by a machine sometimes garnering ultimate collector status with matching selling prices. With the first series Ducati Monster particularly, it's styling, and package, it was such a great seller that it probably helped Ducati survive financially. It was VERY popular because of it's styling.

The loss of the lovely red trellis frame, the exposed engine, simple elegant design made it a sales winner. The 2021 Monster with cheap plastic shrouded engine, crunched up tank, obscene new age license plate/brake light protrusion, and confusing lack of bodywork flow, and odd tank logo angle ???? Well, lets see how many they sell. Price point better be entry level.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
Ultimately, views on visual things, in this case motorcycles, are subjective, personal, independent, and variable. There's no such thing as the "Best Looking Bike", but ultimately there is the "Most favorite Motorcycle", and this can be realized by genuine sales or lack thereof of each machine. Followed in later years by a machine sometimes garnering ultimate collector status with matching selling prices. With the first series Ducati Monster particularly, it's styling, and package, it was such a great seller that it probably helped Ducati survive financially. It was VERY popular because of it's styling.

The loss of the lovely red trellis frame, the exposed engine, simple elegant design made it a sales winner. The 2021 Monster with cheap plastic shrouded engine, crunched up tank, obscene new age license plate/brake light protrusion, and confusing lack of bodywork flow, and odd tank logo angle ???? Well, lets see how many they sell. Price point better be entry level.
The trellis frame on the old S2R and to some degree the liquid cooled SR4 defined monster to me. This new crap, is not the same. Those bikes were so stylish, sexy round curves and the frame on display. This new stuff looks different for sure.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
I happened to be at the Ducati factory the1st time, in 2008, witnessing the last batch of Desmosedici street bikes being made, seeing 60 of them lined up ready for engine break-in was something to be remembered. However, it was the arrival of a delivery truck at a nearby door that took attention from the tour group and indeed the majority of the factory floor. The arrival of the Verlicchi factory recent production of their hand made red frames for production of 'regular' bikes. At least 10 employees showed up in white gloves to hand carry each frame off the end of the truck over to the assembly line area where engine meets frame. This was very cool to see. Maybe 100 frames, soon to be Ducatis. To me it just seems natural, a Ducati and a red trellis frame. Heck, KTM gets it, they work!!!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KTM have started to evolve away from 'pure' tubular frame elements. yes, the 'beam' portions of the 2020 RC16 Moto GP bike are 'tubes' as defined by manufacturing method, rather than welded castings or forgings, as in other manufacturer's bikes, and steel instead of alu, but they aren't round 'tubes' anymore. expect this evolution to continue. 'beams' have more 'elements of design control'; than tubes. form follows function...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts