BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...looking for your opinions on something. I'm currently looking at purchasing an 03 Gixxer 750, its been meticulously kept and maintained...but its got 24,xxx kms on it. Should I be concerned or wary of anything? He's asking $7,700 for it. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
that kind of mileage is insignificant. It being meticulously maintained is much more important, and how it's been ridden.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
savagebovine said:
that kind of mileage is insignificant. It being meticulously maintained is much more important, and how it's been ridden.
Thats what I was thinking as well. I am new to motorcycles, but a long time automotive guy. Like cars, I guess it all comes down to maintenance intervals and overal treatment of the bike. Any other comments, keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have 30 000km on a 03 f4i and runs very strong, no problems. Only major replacements were the chain/sprockets and tires. I change the oil(filter every other) @ 4k.
Take a look at how clean/lubed the chain is, it may give you a general indication of how well a person maintains their bike

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Such a n00b, I forgot I posted in that thread. Thanks Doug.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
i have 72,000km on my 954 and it still stands up quicker than my dick used to in my 20's (although it kinda burns a little oil)

·
Old Dirty Bastard
1,650 Posts
24K is nothing if the bike is well maintained. Beware the bike that has really really low mileage for its age 'cause it has probably been sitting for long periods and that's not good for motorcycles!

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Buy a fuckin bike already Craig! For goodness sakes, it's less than eight grand you're talking about.

...of course, if you were to take my advice this is not the bike you would be buying. But whatever.

Give myself or Sewman a call if you want a 2nd opinion on the condition of the bike. I've gone through 10+ bikes with varying levels of maintenance/condition, so I know what you should be watching out for.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Harps said:
Buy a fuckin bike already Craig! For goodness sakes, it's less than eight grand you're talking about.

...of course, if you were to take my advice this is not the bike you would be buying. But whatever.

Give myself or Sewman a call if you want a 2nd opinion on the condition of the bike. I've gone through 10+ bikes with varying levels of maintenance/condition, so I know what you should be watching out for.
Thanks Harps. Dont worry, I'll be buying soon...very soon.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Can't recommend this enough: Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

I went through a lot of it before buying the VFR, thankfully the previous owner was patient and supportive of me doing this. But i'm very happy with my bike.

Also, do a Vehicle History Search through ICBC. Well worth the $20 or $60 (depending on what you choose).

Oh, and my VFR had 26,000 when I bought it. I didn't think twice about it, that's almost new for a bike.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Spike, thats an excellent guide.

·
Ride to you limits
1,220 Posts
Stewy said:
. I am new to motorcycles, .
and your first bike is a GSXR 750????
BWhaaaa
SQUIDlet me guess your only gonna have a helmet for saifty gear to??
Dont worry about the milage cuse before it hits 30K you'll have it droped by then...
Bikes ESPECIALLY SPORT BIKES are a far cry from cars..

R

·
0 Posts
A well-maintained air-cooled bike should be able to hit close to 160k kms. 24k is pretty damn low, really, although maintenance records are very important. Hopefully things got done, not just by mileage but also time intervals. Most of the rubber on the bike is probably dead unless it's been in a insulated garage and not parked in the sun (brake lines, possibly some seals or gaskets). Sitting is bad for engines, running is bad for frames and suspension, and condition can vary a great deal. Get a very knowledgable friend to help you out, or a professional inspection from a trusted mechanic.

·
Nutrition guy
1,315 Posts
Stewy, 7700 is too much for that bike. I got my 02 750 (the same model) for 7300 with only 10k kms on it. Let me know if you need any help.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Inferno said:
Stewy, 7700 is too much for that bike. I got my 02 750 (the same model) for 7300 with only 10k kms on it. Let me know if you need any help.
Thanks Inferno, sent PM.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whats others' opinions on the price? It seems high to me as well, but the seller will not drop down any lower. In my searches, I havent been able to find any other 02-03 gixxer 600s or 750s in blue/white. Any hlep would be greatly appreciated.

·
independent Amsoil dealer
2,295 Posts
I had 80k on my TL and ran pretty strong still. I would still look around for a better price, that seems kinda high.

O

·
0 Posts
got it!!

Hey Buddy,

I picked up my Gixxer last week.. 2000 GSX-R 750, 30,000kms and I'm loving every minute of it. Hurry up and get yours. I'll be seeing you on Thursday at Pacific!! Good times had by all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts