BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have problem downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear. The clutch has to pull all the way in, the lever is touching the bar. If not, the gears feel like grinding together. Even the lever is all the way in, 2nd -> 1st isn't smooth at all. Beside 2nd-> 1st, and 1st-> 2nd upshift, I can do all other shifting with a very light touch of the clutch level. So, what is the fix?

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
Clutch cable probably needs adjusting. You've got a brand new bike, so head down to your friendly dealer and have them adjust it (and hopefully show you how in case it needs to be done in the future).

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was going to say that shifting from 2nd to 1st at a higher speed could be a problem, but you mention the upshift is hard too.

bike had first service yet? mention the problem at service. if it's a brand new bike, take it back for a look over and an adjustment.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jester666 said:
if that was the case, the problem would fade away quickly, as too tight chain will stretch(or break) in no time.

well what the fuck do i know then eh? i've seen it on lots of bikes and it takes a lot longer than "quickly" for a chain to stretch.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Yep, marginally too tight would take ages to ease off. And it's terribly hard on the output shaft bearing while all this is happening. Simple to check for proper free play as well.

It may also be an issue with the tranny shifter fork(s) as well but start with the easy stuff first.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

I mentioned to the bike shop when they installed the lowering dog bone few days ago. Their work order said adjusted, but the issue is still here, I guess they are too busy for a test ride. Headed down there again next day, he did a 2-minute adjustment on the lever, no improvement.

IIRC, The first 100km has no problem.
Ok. So it maybe:
1) clutch cable
(maybe the brand-new cable stretch a little after some riding)
2) chain too tight
(how could it happened after the first 100km )
3)tranny shifter fork
(no idea what it is? Is it expensive to repair if so?)

The problem is I don't want to deal w/ local suzuki dealer, heard too much sad stories about them. But if it involves more than just adjustment, that's the only way to go. Where else I should look at?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
How much free play do you have at the end of the clutch lever before it stiffens up? It should be about 1 cm and it takes about 5 seconds to adjust it yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts