BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i blew my engine and went to 3D they got a used one for my bike put in, a month and a half later it doesnt stay if 2nd, and what i thought was brake dust gettin on my shoe wasnt it was oil. i started to look at the motor and found that the engine block has a crack in it which is were the oil is coming from. so thinkin there is some warrenty i called them and they said they dont warrenty the work they did on my bike.

·
more lean please
1,745 Posts
3d is garbage. darwin is a goofball. they just grab money and take it, if anything is wrong they act like they dont know you. go after them to fix it, its their fault for not checking over the motor for leaks and shit so definately hound them for a refund, dont take it back there to get it fixed unless you absolutely have too

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
why the hell would a shop warranty a used engine? good luck fighting that one.
Why the hell would a shop take someones money for an engine I assume they sourced and installed and NOT warranty it after a month and a half? wtf are you talking about man. You own a shop as well????

At least make someone fucking aware if thats the shitty type of professionalism that is going to be provided.

I am of course assuming it wasn't cracked due to negligence on the riders part. They at least owe him the service of inspecting thier own fucking work to find the cause.

G

·
Why the hell would a shop take someones money for an engine I assume they sourced and installed and NOT warranty it after a month and a half? wtf are you talking about man. You own a shop as well????

At least make someone fucking aware if thats the shitty type of professionalism that is going to be provided.

I am of course assuming it wasn't cracked due to negligence on the riders part. They at least owe him the service of inspecting thier own fucking work to find the cause.

a used engine doesn't get warranty on a bike. it's pretty simple. especially the 900 engines that are (were) used for stunting. best bet would've been to rebuild his engine(probably needed a crank and a #3 rod?). it ain't like a core exchange or something and there's no telling how the guts of the engine appear from the outside. i know guys that have blown engines from stunting in less than a month.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
a used engine doesn't get warranty on a bike. it's pretty simple. especially the 900 engines that are (were) used for stunting. best bet would've been to rebuild his engine(probably needed a crank and a #3 rod?). it ain't like a core exchange or something and there's no telling how the guts of the engine appear from the outside. i know guys that have blown engines from stunting in less than a month.
OK I see your reasoning and I agree that in reality this is true.

I guess my next question is to insanearmer. Were you made aware of the fact that you would have no protection or warranty against defects on the used motor and install?

If not you may have legal recourse.

·
Why not
541 Posts
I don't think he would have legal recourse. Rarely does an implied warranty attach to used parts, the labour, yes, but not the parts.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
I don't think he would have legal recourse. Rarely does an implied warranty attach to used parts, the labour, yes, but not the parts.
Well you would at least think then that they would be inspecting it to eliminate a faulty install, correct? The onus is on them in this case to prove that they "sourced and sold" this guy a POS motor. Does the fact that they sourced it have any bearing on this as well? I mean they are supposed to be qaulified and reasonably expected to provide parts that will last more then a month and half if they are going to offer to source them. Correct?

·
Why not
541 Posts
They would likely have an obligation to inspect, but the problem with engine failures is that a lot of the time the source is internal and does not have to provide any warning signals. They could easily claim that they did the required inspections and it blew anyway. The fact that its sourced and the client knew it was sourced removes them even further from blame.

Dude is likely shit out of luck unless he makes nice with the mechanics. If he inquired about a warranty and was given indication that one would be provided, even something as simple as "we'll take care of you if anything happens" then he would have a case.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
oh well. seems your SOL insanearmer.

Do I agree?

Hell no.

bike shops at thier best once again.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
It's a used engine , you can only guess if there good or not . Unless you tear it down and if your going to that much effort then fix your broken one. At least then you know what you have.

If you could guess the exact date that an engine will blow up , then you could win the 649.

Your best bet is to get the shop to help with the labour but I doubt they will cover the engine for warrenty.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Yeah, really. Used engines typically come from crashed bikes. It's a toss of the dice and in this case you lost. Obviously you went for used because it was cheaper than rebuilding. Unfortunetly the dice came up snake eyes in this case. It's too bad as the odds are better than 50-50 for getting a good one. But there's not much to do other than suck it up and move on.

There's not a shop around that can look at an engine and know that the case will crack within a day of being installed. That sort of testing takes some fancy equipment and chemicals and generally a dissassembly. And it's a dead certainty that you would not have been willing to pay for THAT sort of service.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
Yeah, really. Used engines typically come from crashed bikes. It's a toss of the dice and in this case you lost. Obviously you went for used because it was cheaper than rebuilding. Unfortunetly the dice came up snake eyes in this case. It's too bad as the odds are better than 50-50 for getting a good one. But there's not much to do other than suck it up and move on.

There's not a shop around that can look at an engine and know that the case will crack within a day of being installed. That sort of testing takes some fancy equipment and chemicals and generally a dissassembly. And it's a dead certainty that you would not have been willing to pay for THAT sort of service.
It then makes me wonder why the heck a shop would even want to put something like thier reputation on the line against a used motor with "toss of the dice" odds of being reliable? I know I sure wouldn't.

This just doesn't make sense to me. Sorry it's just me I guess.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It then makes me wonder why the heck a shop would even want to put something like thier reputation on the line against a used motor with "toss of the dice" odds of being reliable? I know I sure wouldn't.

This just doesn't make sense to me. Sorry it's just me I guess.
Likely because that is what the customer asked for as opposed to the huge expense of fixing the original motor. I have no idea though, I am just guessing.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
Likely because that is what the customer asked for as opposed to the huge expense of fixing the original motor. I have no idea though, I am just guessing.
Yeah but if I asked you to stick your finger in my rectum, you might say no to that because your reputation was on the line. Unless you always do as your told.

just guessing though...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts