BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
326 Posts
they buy most of bikes in the us and import them then jack the price ever since losing the honda franchise
they are deffinatly making some good coin on the bikes
family run buisness
grandma is a pusher and will try to talk you in to just about anything
darwin behind the counter has a bit of a smug jurk off attitude so you can tell its not his cash funding the whole buisness
they always seem to have decent stock on the shelves compared to most local bike shops in the fraser valley
dont go back for service they are butchers

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
they buy most of bikes in the us and import them then jack the price ever since losing the honda franchise
they are deffinatly making some good coin on the bikes
family run buisness
grandma is a pusher and will try to talk you in to just about anything
darwin behind the counter has a bit of a smug jurk off attitude so you can tell its not his cash funding the whole buisness
they always seem to have decent stock on the shelves compared to most local bike shops in the fraser valley
dont go back for service they are butchers
Just to clarify, they didn't lose the Honda franchise as a result of any wrong doing. Honda Canada wanted them to invest millions into a Honda Power Centre, or whatever those mega Honda dealers were called. Who has that kind of cash hanging around, ready to throw into a failed business model.

Anyways, I've known Darwin for 25 yrs, like the guy. He garnered his 'people skills' from his dad,,,,which may not have been a good thing.

These bikes are out of Idaho I think, gathered from a dealer there. I've been impressed by the condition of the machines I've seen being unloaded off the trailer. The mileage is all in miles which may look like low mileage.

As for buying something and jacking the price up,,,,,,,,,can you tell me ANY business ever that has not done that and is still in business???? What a totally stupid tone, as if businesses should not do that. Think about it!!!

·
Banned
326 Posts
Just to clarify, they didn't lose the Honda franchise as a result of any wrong doing. Honda Canada wanted them to invest millions into a Honda Power Centre, or whatever those mega Honda dealers were called. Who has that kind of cash hanging around, ready to throw into a failed business model.

Anyways, I've known Darwin for 25 yrs, like the guy. He garnered his 'people skills' from his dad,,,,which may not have been a good thing.

These bikes are out of Idaho I think, gathered from a dealer there. I've been impressed by the condition of the machines I've seen being unloaded off the trailer. The mileage is all in miles which may look like low mileage.

As for buying something and jacking the price up,,,,,,,,,can you tell me ANY business ever that has not done that and is still in business???? What a totally stupid tone, as if businesses should not do that. Think about it!!!
im not saying they shouldnt
prime example i walked in there looking for a drz
darwin sais to me i have one comming in this week ill call you with the details tommorow
so the phone rings and he describes a bike ive been dealing on in seattle for 3100$us off craigslist
darwins price on the bike he has not yet purchased is 6000$ as he explains the importing costs to me

i ended up buying the bike for 2800$us and had roughly 3400$ into it once all was said and done
far cry from 6000$

im just saying you can maybe find a better deal then a bike shop that imports them from the same place you can yourself

these dealers are the first ones to bitch and mone that their customers wont keep their money in canada and buy locally yet they are the first to look stateside to make a buck

·
Registered
332 Posts
I bought a helmet there years ago, and got great service as far as explaining how it should fit and stuff.

Looked at a bike there, and their price was a little higher than I had been seeing. When I tried to negotiate it down a couple hundred bucks, I was told they had zero room to move, and was basically told buy it or leave... I wasn't impressed with that.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
I bought a set of tires for my late H1, Darwin's prices were in par with the cheap internet pricing.
Very surprised.
Darwin is the only one worth talking to in there, Mom and Dad are rude.
They own the building and land, that's where the money is, not selling bikes.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
What did Darwin used to manage? Familiar name but I can't place the old business he had.

·
Banned
326 Posts
What did Darwin used to manage? Familiar name but I can't place the old business he had.
burger king
or not

when i talk to him i sometimes think to myself he is where the phrase darwin award originated from
i often see him down at motor vehicles parking lot on weekends teaching new riders to ride the painted out course they have for testing so maybe he offers lessons aswell

·
Registered
334 Posts
the bikes they import are nice and very low miles. I thought they were quite a bit more then comparably Canadian bikes for sale. I was looking at a gs500 at 3D it was 5 grand with a few thousand miles. At holeshot they had a gs500 with 0 km for 5 grand. Now that being said, there were a lot of really nice bikes at the 5 grand mark. None of which I bought.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I bought a helmet from them one sale. Scratched the visor 6 months later so needed a replacement. A dealer in Langley tried to sell me a visor for the same price I paid for the helmet. Went back to Abbotsford and got the visor for 1/4 the price of the dealer in Langley. I was more than happy with them, installed the visor for me too.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
How difficult can it be to install a visor?

·
Registered
863 Posts
"these dealers are the first ones to bitch and moan that their customers wont keep their money in canada and buy locally yet they are the first to look stateside to make a buck"
Actually neither dealers nor customers shopped across the border much until the dollar started to take big swings and the internet made every bike in North America visible in your house, it was never very common until the internet gave customers access to every bike on the continent. So its wrong to say the gealers are the first from my point of view its the customers who are driving this. The dealer has to compete with it and learn to deal with it. Big challenge in all industries to learn to not only deal with it but learn to do it successfully. The internet is a highway that goes both ways.
Its funny how customers have no problem with shopping across the line but boy if a dealer does it that's terrible. At the same time customers want to have all parts immediately available and cheaply, and get awesome service or else, but don't support the local dealer, and then get upset when dealers shut down.
There is no way customers can complain about a dealer buying from the states, and yet feel its ok for the customer to do that. I am not in the MC business but have been doing business on line since windows 95 came out.

·
Registered
1 Posts

<Stumbled across this thread >
I've known Darwin and family since the late 70's. I've not seen them in years because I rarely get back to Abby (during business hours) since I left in 86 and took a break from riding a few years later.
I used to ride with Darwin and a few others, (could never keep up, even if we swapped bikes. I bought 3 of my street bikes there, all used.
Dave Sr, was a crusty old coot, but I liked him, and he taught me a lot in the shop, and let me work downstairs on my bikes, and even let me rebuild a 750F using shop tools. He even let me use some of his personal tools.
While Darwin's older brother Dave, was a 'leaner' rider, Darwin had the skillz. He raced at the old Westwood track and did well in club races, despite being considerably heavier than most riders (maybe double) . Not too many riders can make a CBX look tiny. I can't remember now, but I think he raced an old CBX550 a few times.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
<Stumbled across this thread >
I've known Darwin and family since the late 70's. I've not seen them in years because I rarely get back to Abby (during business hours) since I left in 86 and took a break from riding a few years later.
I used to ride with Darwin and a few others, (could never keep up, even if we swapped bikes. I bought 3 of my street bikes there, all used.
Dave Sr, was a crusty old coot, but I liked him, and he taught me a lot in the shop, and let me work downstairs on my bikes, and even let me rebuild a 750F using shop tools. He even let me use some of his personal tools.
While Darwin's older brother Dave, was a 'leaner' rider, Darwin had the skillz. He raced at the old Westwood track and did well in club races, despite being considerably heavier than most riders (maybe double) . Not too many riders can make a CBX look tiny. I can't remember now, but I think he raced an old CBX550 a few times.
Of course a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since those days that 3D was located in Clearbrook Rd.. They decided to sell the building there, and they moved 3D to a tiny location on Peardonville just near the highway overpass. Sales of used bikes and accessories only with essentially Darwin only on scene. Darwin's dad had long since passed, mum essentially running the financial end of things. Some sort of financial 'disagreement' between mum and Darwin did happen resulting in Darwin being cut out of all involvement in that shop, which of course meant the shop imploding because Darwin WAS the shop.
I ran across Darwin a year ago, he stopped by the shop I work at. I honestly forget where he is now but working for sure, he's not in the bike industry now. He is generally very knowledgeable in bikes, was a great rider and racer at Westwood. I sold a Honda CBX to him which previously had been one of my brother's bikes, and which had been one of his brother's bikes. He's since sold that bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts